Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cricket iPhone unlocking

Feedback Score

Cricket iPhone unlocking

I have seen various posts over the last year about unlocking Cricket branded iPhones. The wait six months to unlock and the upgrade plan then downgrade plan are all mentioned. Why no mention of AT&T's unlock service? A few years ago when the 5s was on sale for $99 we bought 3 and all were unlocked within the week using this service. Last year my wife and I upgraded to the 6 and both were unlocked the same week. Last week my daughter got a new SE and the unlock came through this morning. All of the iPhones were bought online through Cricket. Does this option not work for everyone?

Device(s)
    Gold iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    Why buy iPhone from Cricket??? Omg...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nikful View Post
    I have seen various posts over the last year about unlocking Cricket branded iPhones. The wait six months to unlock and the upgrade plan then downgrade plan are all mentioned. Why no mention of AT&T's unlock service? A few years ago when the 5s was on sale for $99 we bought 3 and all were unlocked within the week using this service. Last year my wife and I upgraded to the 6 and both were unlocked the same week. Last week my daughter got a new SE and the unlock came through this morning. All of the iPhones were bought online through Cricket. Does this option not work for everyone?
    AT&T started cracking down on unlocking phones right away for some reason.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    AT&T started cracking down on unlocking phones right away for some reason.
    Yep - this has mostly stopped working in almost all cases other than devices on AT&T that have fulfilled their requirements. If you look around, there was also discussion about using this method to unlock the AT&T Prepaid-discounted iPhone SEs at Best Buy and that loophole was closed, too.

Honestly, a few years back, it seemed like AT&T's unlock portal would just unlock anything with an AT&T-associated IMEI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    Why buy iPhone from Cricket??? Omg...
    Brand new, full warranty , next day free delivery, and able to unlock the same week without jumping through hoops. Give some examples of better deals.

Feedback Score
    Brand new, full warranty , next day free delivery, and able to unlock the same week without jumping through hoops. Give some examples of better deals.
    What ch Cricket plan do you have? Cricket announce unlock changes for January 2018.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    What ch Cricket plan do you have? Cricket announce unlock changes for January 2018.
    5/$100 5GB all 5 lines.

Feedback Score
    I bought a iPhone SE yesterday at the cricket store. Did a chat to unlock it last night. Told me it needed to be on an unlimited plan, I said it is. They opened a ticket and said it should be unlocked in 3-3 business days. Also asked why I wanted it unlocked and I said to travel abroad. They said they would text me when it's done.

Feedback Score
    It took 24 hours for me to receive text message telling me that my phone was unlocked. It was pretty quick.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Are you saying that last week you bought an Iphone from cricket and had it unlocked using the AT&T unlock site?

5/$100 5GB all 5 lines.
    You won't be able to both A) unlock a phone immediately via Cricket and B) keep your 5/$100 rate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    Are you saying that last week you bought an Iphone from cricket and had it unlocked using the AT&T unlock site?

You won't be able to both A) unlock a phone immediately via Cricket and B) keep your 5/$100 rate.
    As I stated in the OP I unlocked it through the AT&T unlocking web site. Cricket was never involved.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    As I stated in the OP I unlocked it through the AT&T unlocking web site. Cricket was never involved.
    I'd say that experience is uncommon. Many reported failures in trying to unlock cricket phones via the AT&T unlock site, even back when that method was providing immediate unlocking for AT&T phones. Now, no AT&T Prepaid phones seem to get unlocks from AT&T until after 6 months of usage (though I can't swear I've seen many still soldier on trying to unlock Cricket phones there lately).

I'm glad it worked for you though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    I'd say that experience is uncommon. Many reported failures in trying to unlock cricket phones via the AT&T unlock site, even back when that method was providing immediate unlocking for AT&T phones. Now, no AT&T Prepaid phones seem to get unlocks from AT&T until after 6 months of usage (though I can't swear I've seen many still soldier on trying to unlock Cricket phones there lately).

I'm glad it worked for you though.
    I was a long time AT&T customer and the eMail address that I used for the the unlocking processes is still the same as when we were under contract with them. Maybe a glitch in their system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Budsdad View Post
    I bought a iPhone SE yesterday at the cricket store. Did a chat to unlock it last night. Told me it needed to be on an unlimited plan, I said it is. They opened a ticket and said it should be unlocked in 3-3 business days. Also asked why I wanted it unlocked and I said to travel abroad. They said they would text me when it's done.
    Unlock took about 24 hours from cricket

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Interesting.. I was able to unlock a Cricket iPhone SE via the AT&T unlocking portal. This device was purchased earlier this month and is on the $30 plan (never upgraded to unlimited).

I did not activate the new SIM it came with and used my existing SIM from another iPhone.

Name:  B8HlD0T.png
Views: 257
Size:  189.2 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast