Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cricket ending domestic roaming in Wyoming and Montana (March 2018)

Feedback Score
    The wrong assumption was made that if Cricket had roaming partners in Montana and Wyoming that there would be coverage. We live in rural Oregon and travel to all of our surrounding states. There are massive distances on state highways where there is no cell reception of any kind. You can’t roam of off what isn’t there. We always travel with a Verizon flip phone as a backup to double our odds in case of emergencies.

Feedback Score
    I live in oregon too and i have only been to one area that does not have cell coverage. It was at the Weatherby Rest Stop.

Feedback Score
    I never had any expectations of roaming with cricket. If that add roaming in an area, that's great. If they drop it, oh well. It's prepaid folks - terms change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Source

Are we having fun yet? The worst in the industry keeps outdoing itself.
    It's still somewhat better than the T-Mobile related prepaid/MVNOs (those that are stuck on non-roaming T-Mobile, and until T-Mobile completes coverage expansion) and hugely better than anything on the Sprint network.
    "Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property." - Milton Friedman.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Kinda sucks for them cuz Cricket has awesome coverage in my neck of the woods. I grabbed a few Metro/Tmobile lines the other day to get free Zmax Blades and still can't believe how bad T-mobile's coverage is. One nice thing about Metro PCS is they're a great source for nice inexpensive phones that tether on Cricket out of the box. I've now gotten 3 Samsung J7's, 2 Zmax Pros and now a couple Zmax Blades for $30.00 each!!!!!! I really like the big 6 inch ZTE's for mini tablet use.
    MetroPCS is still a no-go-for me because it is still only about two-thirds as good as Cricket.

I'm doing OK on postpaid T-Mobile now, because I got unlimited-amount data roaming into AT&T to help bridge the gap.

Feedback Score
    Is this everywhere in WY? Like Jackson? Or Yellowstone?

Or does AT&T have their own towers in those more popular places?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
    I live in oregon too and i have only been to one area that does not have cell coverage. It was at the Weatherby Rest Stop.
    The Intersates Highways tend to have better coverage. The state highways that cross Oregon are very hit and miss. State Routes 140,20,97,95,395 and even 101.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Is this everywhere in WY? Like Jackson? Or Yellowstone?

Or does AT&T have their own towers in those more popular places?
    I was in Yellowstone a decade ago and the place seemed to be studded with cell towers. I would only imagine there are a lot more now.

(Yellowstone is proof that population is only a minor consideration in the need for cell coverage. Yellowstone, when I last checked, had a population of a few hundred. However, 4 million visit each year. The visitors, not the population, indicate a huge need for mobile there)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I was in Yellowstone a decade ago and the place seemed to be studded with cell towers. I would only imagine there are a lot more now.

(Yellowstone is proof that population is only a minor consideration in the need for cell coverage. Yellowstone, when I last checked, had a population of a few hundred. However, 4 million visit each year. The visitors, not the population, indicate a huge need for mobile there)
    Actually I was in Yellowstone this summer and there was NOOOO coverage anywhere in the park. Like literally once you drove in a few miles from the entrance gates it was NO SERVICE all day long.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Don’t people go there to be with nature, hike, camp, etc. instead of being on their phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    Don’t people go there to be with nature, hike, camp, etc. instead of being on their phone?
    Totally

I wasn't complaining, just saying

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Totally

I wasn't complaining, just saying
    Lol forgot to add the /s for sarcasm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    You can't hike, fish camp 24/7. This will suck for me if i crash on my bike in the backcountry and can't phone a friend.

Feedback Score
    AT&T is adding native coverage to these areas as FirstNet gets built out. Also, Verizon and AT&T recently signed a multi-billion dollar deal where they are going to share the cost of building towers in rural areas.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Cricket ending domestic roaming in Wyoming and Montana (March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    I'll go away....just not to Montana or Wyoming. No coverage.
    There is actually a fair bit of native at&t coverage in Montana. Wyoming appears to be the bigger issue. I have never been to Wyoming, but I was in Western Montana once in the early 1990s a couple of years before I got my first cell phone (1994)

The continual anti-cricket rants are a bit tiresome. Cricket fits a niche for me relatively well, but I rarely travel outside of western WA/OR/BC where AT&T domestic roaming would buy me nothing.

If Cricket ceases to be a good choice, all my phones are unlocked, and my primary phone numbers are on google voice. Switching is ridiculously easy. Don’t even need to port.
    Last edited by mch; 12-24-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast