Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is freedompop really 100% free? I want the truth and i can handle it....

Feedback Score

Is freedompop really 100% free? I want the truth and i can handle it....

Hello Everyone,

Is FreedomPop really free?

I am really tempted to switch to them or at least give them a try. But I started to hear lots of stories about hidden and surprise charges. I even heard it was very hard to cancel your account.

I used RingPlus for a year and they were totally free for a while. I did not even need a credit card. But I see FreedomPop wants a credit card up front for their 100% free plan. I may be a little slow, but why do I need to give them my credit card if the plan I want is 100% free. This thing smells like a scam to me. But I have been wrong in the past.

Anyway, I would like to hear from people who are using or used FreedomPop's 100% free plan. I want the 100% truth

Thanks...
    OBIHAI 200 Oct 2015 Replaced NetTalk
    Alcatel A383G Jul 2015 To Jan 2016 Replaced A382G
    Alcatel A382G Apr 2014 To Jul 2015
    Kyocera Hydro Mar 2014 Ring+ 2016
    Google Voice Feb 2014 Ported TF (AT&T) # to GV
    Azpen A700 Nov 2013 7" Android tablet for GV/Talkatone
    LG 840G Sep 2013 Replaced C155
    NetTalk DUO Oct 2010 To Oct 2015 Replaced Verizon Land Line
    Verizon Land Line Oct 2010 Dropped & Ported # to TF
    Motorola V176 Jan 2008 To Apr 2014
    Motorola C155 Apr 2007 To Sep 2013 My first cell phone

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Not a scam, but requires careful attention to avoid unnecessary charges. Not 100% free upfront - must buy device and pay small deposit to account for overages. Need to diligently downgrade to the free plan and cancel all trials of paid services. Do your research and you can enjoy free but limited ongoing service.

Sent from my FreedomPop Kyo Icon on the free plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    Not a scam, but requires careful attention to avoid unnecessary charges. Not 100% free upfront - must buy device and pay small deposit to account for overages. Need to diligently downgrade to the free plan and cancel all trials of paid services. Do your research and you can enjoy free but limited ongoing service.

Sent from my FreedomPop Kyo Icon on the free plan.
    Exactly this. And they have changed TOS before.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    It's free, but I would not depend on them for calling. I find calls over cellular voip to very unreliable, so I no longer depend on them.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They are a giant scam ! They sell your personal info and have many complaints with the FTC and BBB. Stay away from Freedom Poop cause it stinks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TJN View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Is FreedomPop really free?

I am really tempted to switch to them or at least give them a try. But I started to hear lots of stories about hidden and surprise charges. I even heard it was very hard to cancel your account.
    Limited amounts of FP service can be totally free after some initial startup cost. The initial plan includes service quantity promotions that are not free after the first 30 days. You have to go into your account settings and cancel the promo services in a couple of places. It's not hard and only takes a few minutes. They have now started charging $10 to downgrade to the free service (it used to be free). That is part of your startup cost.

The totally free GSM service is 200,200,200 talk, text, data MB. Sprint is 200,200,500. You can add "Freedom Friends" for more data at 50 MB each up to ten friends for 500 MB extra. This is easy to do.

There are no hidden charges. A charge that may come as a surprise is what they call an auto Top Up. if you get within 100 MB* of your data quota. They will charge your card $15. It does take some effort to limit and monitor the data used. I set a warning and limit on my phone. The My Data Manager app works too.

Another surprise that may happen is monthly 1 cent charges to your card for "Account Maintenance". It does not happen to everyone. It is supposed to only happen if you don't use the minimum of 5 calls or 5 MB of data a month. I definitely use that, but still get the 1 cent charges. For 1 cent a month I don't care enough to try to get them to fix it.

I used RingPlus for a year and they were totally free for a while. I did not even need a credit card. But I see FreedomPop wants a credit card up front for their 100% free plan. I may be a little slow, but why do I need to give them my credit card if the plan I want is 100% free. This thing smells like a scam to me. But I have been wrong in the past.
    They want a credit card to pay for any overages so they don't get stuck with the bill from the carrier. There is no getting around it. I use a virtual card with a $5 limit. They do not take prepaid debit cards.

Anyway, I would like to hear from people who are using or used FreedomPop's 100% free plan. I want the 100% truth
    I use it and it is fine for what it is. It is not a good substitute for reliable cell voice service. FP voice is VOIP over mobile or Wifi data. Wifi works, mobile data not so much. I would never count on it for my daily mobile communications needs. It's more of something to put on previous phones to have some kind of service on them for free.

I have never tried to cancel an account, but there is a link to click for that on the account page.

There is no phone support for free accounts except for billing issues. For non-billing issues you can contact them on their forum, Twitter and Facebook. Twitter has worked best for me.

*There has been much discussion whether it is 100 or 20 MB that triggers an auto Top Up and if it is different on AT&T and Sprint service. To be on the safe side I just set my limit 150 MB below my free plan limit.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is probably the best article out there regarding Freedom Pop: http://www.cranialborborygmus.com/Fr...sim-review.htm

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    There are lots of posts scattered around about using FP, but if you're careful, it is extremely unlikely that you will be charged anything extra after the initial setup.

I've been using FP as my primary cellular service provider since March, 2017, and I've never been charged anything extra, except for a few $0.01 charges on a few of my FP SIM cards that were apparently, based on my understanding, used to verify that my billing method was still valid.

I use my FP SIMs for data only, using Hangouts for all voice and messaging across several cell phones and tablets.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Only if you’re desperate or near homeless. Cheap alternatives are Airvoice, Red pocket and h2O Wireless.
    Get cheap calling cards to call anywhere in the world! Click here!

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It's free if you're willing to spend the time to manage it. You could get away with swapping Sim cards periodically and just use up the allotted balances-200mb free data and 500mb shared at a time.

However, in practice you will find that if you have the data, you will inadvertently go past it and might incur an overage.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'm looking at FP also except I plan on using only data on a Samsung Galaxy Tab E tablet. Should I go with the sim that has talk, text and data or just go with the data sim? I will not be using this very much so the "free" mb (after jumping thru the hoops) will work fine for me.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    They are a giant scam ! They sell your personal info and have many complaints with the FTC and BBB. Stay away from Freedom Poop cause it stinks
    I've seen no evidence that they sell info to third parties. I used new email addresses to sign up and those emails don't get any spam, other than occasional promotions from FP themselves.

I've had a tablet on their Sprint service for nearly a year. And several of the LTE Sims in spare phones for 6 to 8 months.

As others said, I wouldn't count on the voice/VoIP to be reliable, but for a bit of extra data, I've no real complaints.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haymeadowfield View Post
    I'm looking at FP also except I plan on using only data on a Samsung Galaxy Tab E tablet. Should I go with the sim that has talk, text and data or just go with the data sim? I will not be using this very much so the "free" mb (after jumping thru the hoops) will work fine for me.
    I have a talk, text, and data GSM LTE SIM in my tablet. It works fine. I can even make calls with the messaging app.

Basically, the FP data is for just in case I am away from Wifi need to use some.

I don't think the data SIM was available at the time I got mine. Someone please tell us what the difference is.

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone for your responses.

I am currently using a combination of Tracfone (AT&T) and Tello (Sprint), and I am pretty happy with them. But I have two old phones (Sprint) that I thought I would activate on FP. My thought was, why not take advantage of the 100% free service. But right now, my thought is, it might not be worth the FP's start-up costs, as I don't really need another active phone. I think I will just keep them as Wifi devices.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Sprint on freedom pop is terrible and complicated. If you are going to use freedom pop, use an unlocked AT&T GSM phone and their lte Sim. Anything else will be an exercise in futility

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast