Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there any benefit to getting the $75/$85 UDP over the prepaid $55 UDPs?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Is there any benefit to getting the $75/$85 UDP over the prepaid $55 UDPs?

Page Plus and Straight Talk have Unlimited Data on Verizon for $55 prepaid. Now I get that there's a difference in prepaid vs postpaid but in practice I don't see any benefit getting the $75 or $85 verizon plans when I can get it much cheaper elsewhere. What do you think?

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    Page Plus and Straight Talk have Unlimited Data on Verizon for $55 prepaid. Now I get that there's a difference in prepaid vs postpaid but in practice I don't see any benefit getting the $75 or $85 verizon plans when I can get it much cheaper elsewhere. What do you think?
    Verizon prepaid has VoLTE and their network traffic is prioritized over MVNOs

Sent from my AT&T iPhone X using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Verizon's postpaid service has roaming on other carriers for voice and text.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Also hotspot as well if that is important to you. Just a thought

Feedback Score
    How is Verizon’s US mobile high speed unlimited ludicrous plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I believe P+ and straight talk will be limited to a certain date connection speed.

Postpaid will also give better options if you need to travel internationally and want to keep your current number while traveling

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    Verizon Post-Paid AND Pre-Paid both have WiFi calling. I don't think Page Plus and Straight Talk do. You might not care about WiFi calling right now, but trust me, you will be someplace eventually that you will be glad the option is there.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Meteor View Post
    Verizon Post-Paid AND Pre-Paid both have WiFi calling. I don't think Page Plus and Straight Talk do. You might not care about WiFi calling right now, but trust me, you will be someplace eventually that you will be glad the option is there.
    Name:  gYct6kY.png
Views: 297
Size:  1.25 MB

You were saying?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    Verizon prepaid has VoLTE and their network traffic is prioritized over MVNOs

Sent from my AT&T iPhone X using Tapatalk
    It's Verizon Postpaid normal > Straight Talk > Verizon Postpaid deprioritized. Tested it back in April.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It's Verizon Postpaid normal > Straight Talk > Verizon Postpaid deprioritized. Tested it back in April.
    Saw you with that claim on Reddit. I'm very curious about this subject. Do you have more than one data test to back this up? The logic so far has been as follows: VZW postpaid > VZW postpaid deprioritized > VZW prepaid > MVNO. I'd love to see compelling evidence to the contrary, to round out my own knowledge.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Saw you with that claim on Reddit. I'm very curious about this subject. Do you have more than one data test to back this up? The logic so far has been as follows: VZW postpaid > VZW postpaid deprioritized > VZW prepaid > MVNO. I'd love to see compelling evidence to the contrary, to round out my own knowledge.
    I'm going to have to do some digging, but I do have evidence. I posted screenshots of multiple speedtests last spring in r/verizon. It's a deleted thread though because I used shreddit after that to clean my account. But the images show an S7 and an iPhone side by side. One has the Verizon SIM the other has Straight Talk. Speed test on Verizon is <0.50 Mbps. Straight Talk is 5 Mbps.

But anyway, here are the details:
    -Spring last year I tested the Verizon Unlimited plan and the Straight Talk Verizon plan simultaneously. Usage was mainly at school (UMBC), which only had 10x10 B13 and that's it. Once I passed the 22GB threshold, it was like I hit a brick wall. Couldn't load anything. Still pulled 70 Mbps at home but that's besides the point.

-Then I SIM swapped to the Straight Talk Verizon SIM. Worked beautifully. It was limited to 5 Mbps (at the time), but webpages loaded smoothly, could stream videos, etc.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Found it! There's an album here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4wHws

Multiple speed tests of Deprioritized Vzw vs Straight Talk. And keep in mind this was when ST was throttled to 5 Mbps!

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Found it! There's an album here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4wHws

Multiple speed tests of Deprioritized Vzw vs Straight Talk. And keep in mind this was when ST was throttled to 5 Mbps!
    Very interesting. Although, it does sort of support another theory I've been working on that deprioritization doesn't mean someone gets amazing service and someone else gets nothing. It means someone gets a bad network experience, and someone else gets an even worse network experience.

This is a very interesting find, though. So perhaps top priority on an MVNO means 2nd in line compared to postpaid with full priority -- not all the way to the back of the line as I originally thought.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very interesting. Although, it does sort of support another theory I've been working on that deprioritization doesn't mean someone gets amazing service and someone else gets nothing. It means someone gets a bad network experience, and someone else gets an even worse network experience.

This is a very interesting find, though. So perhaps top priority on an MVNO means 2nd in line compared to postpaid with full priority -- not all the way to the back of the line as I originally thought.
    That's why I left Verizon. I can understand being slowed down to 1 Mbps or so, but that's okay because it's still usable for web browsing. But this.... this just made my phone useless. I remember sitting in my car trying to load reddit. Took 2 minutes to load. Then I clicked on a link for comments and it loaded endlessly. Also I lost 8% of battery in 10 minutes and my phone was HOT. Popped in the Straight Talk SIM, everything's fine.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That's why I left Verizon. I can understand being slowed down to 1 Mbps or so, but that's okay because it's still usable for web browsing. But this.... this just made my phone useless. I remember sitting in my car trying to load reddit. Took 2 minutes to load. Then I clicked on a link for comments and it loaded endlessly. Also I lost 8% of battery in 10 minutes and my phone was HOT. Popped in the Straight Talk SIM, everything's fine.
    I get what you're saying, but the point I'm taking away from this is that VZW is fine before being deprioritized. So for the vast majority of people who never cross that line, it just works. If ST has no concept of deprioritization, then perhaps they're a good choice if you're willing to compromise on never being first in line, either.

I'd need a flow chart to help remember how all this works LOL. Also, it totally depends on your area. There's only one place in my area that has congestion problems, really. That's the mall. I could live on Go Unlimited or an MVNO the rest of the time and be fine, in terms of data.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast