Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving Billing Dates

Feedback Score

Thumbs down Moving Billing Dates

Been on at&t prepaid/GoPhone for many years.

One of the few problems encountered is the billing date. Being on a 30 day cycle is the problem. This is unrealistic for the CUSTOMER. It causes the billing date to move each month. Paying the bill on the first of any 31 day month causes 2 billing dates in one month.

Many humans get paid monthly, from our jobs, from the government, from other monthly paying entities. The issue is that not many companies, plus the government, use a 30 day month. The Telcos don't even pay their employees that way. In most cases bills have to paid at the first of the month, leaving the accounts empty for the rest of the month. Arithmetic rules here. Not even at&t can get blood from turnips even though they try.

The prices of adding a few days with full services is exorbitant. The solution so far has been to allow the phones go off for a few days at the first of the month in order to let the dates catch up. The Telcos lose money here and the customer loses service. Nobody wins! There are a lot of complaints but the telcos have shown they are oblivious to customer needs and problems with their system, here.

Worse yet, they systematically allow no access to anyone who can or is willing to work toward better service. The "Help" function is purposely designed to prevent any real progress on this. Billing date issues are not even listed for prepaid phones. When customer service is called the people there have no options to remediate or escalate this to any level that actually can affect any positive change at all. They all say they get lots of complaints about this.

This 30 day billing cycle also prevents auto payments. If there is no money in the account and the date moves, autopay cannot work. In this case, as well as many, many others, the billing date is best on the third of the month. Not many monthly paying entities pay on other dates.

The only thing large companies listen to is loss of money and this post is to let the Telcos know that's what's happening.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Most employers pay on biweekly cycles for salaried employees. Even then, paydays may be on different days of the week dependent upon employers. Pensions, Social Security or public assistance programs pay on a monthly cycle. Social Security pays on the second, third or fourth Wednesday of each month based upon the recipient's birth date during the month. For birth dates of the 1st through 10th, payment is on the second Wednesday. For birth dates of the 11th through the 20th, payment is on the third Wednesday. For birth dates on the 21st through the end of the month, payment is on the fourth Wednesday. A thirty-day billing cycle is more consistent than the varied payment cycles of employers and government payers of benefits.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I almost always pay a month or four ahead since my income is seasonal. If you can’t keep up with 2 payments in 31 days drop your plan and save until you can. Or switch to Consumer Cellular or Puretalk.

I get paid twice a month. Texas pays monthly, federal employees every 2 weeks. Every retail job I’ve had paid weekly. I think weekly checks are is the hardest for budgeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhank View Post
    Been on at&t prepaid/GoPhone for many years.

One of the few problems encountered is the billing date. Being on a 30 day cycle is the problem. This is unrealistic for the CUSTOMER. It causes the billing date to move each month. Paying the bill on the first of any 31 day month causes 2 billing dates in one month.

Many humans get paid monthly, from our jobs, from the government, from other monthly paying entities. The issue is that not many companies, plus the government, use a 30 day month. The Telcos don't even pay their employees that way. In most cases bills have to paid at the first of the month, leaving the accounts empty for the rest of the month. Arithmetic rules here. Not even at&t can get blood from turnips even though they try.

The prices of adding a few days with full services is exorbitant. The solution so far has been to allow the phones go off for a few days at the first of the month in order to let the dates catch up. The Telcos lose money here and the customer loses service. Nobody wins! There are a lot of complaints but the telcos have shown they are oblivious to customer needs and problems with their system, here.

Worse yet, they systematically allow no access to anyone who can or is willing to work toward better service. The "Help" function is purposely designed to prevent any real progress on this. Billing date issues are not even listed for prepaid phones. When customer service is called the people there have no options to remediate or escalate this to any level that actually can affect any positive change at all. They all say they get lots of complaints about this.

This 30 day billing cycle also prevents auto payments. If there is no money in the account and the date moves, autopay cannot work. In this case, as well as many, many others, the billing date is best on the third of the month. Not many monthly paying entities pay on other dates.

The only thing large companies listen to is loss of money and this post is to let the Telcos know that's what's happening.
    For most folks this is a non-issue. Nobody is forcing you to stay with gophone. If their billing system doesn't work for you, you are free to leave any time. Cricket wireless runs on a monthly schedule and offers the same service area as gophone. Plenty of other prepaid services offer monthly cycles as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    For most folks this is a non-issue. Nobody is forcing you to stay with gophone. If their billing system doesn't work for you, you are free to leave any time. Cricket wireless runs on a monthly schedule and offers the same service area as gophone. Plenty of other prepaid services offer monthly cycles as well.
    My cricket payments change every month on a 30 day cycle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    You may wanna double check that because that’s not supposed to be happening. From the cricket website: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/account-management/pay-for-my-service/customer/payments.html

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO G, Iphone 6 On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wwglen View Post
    Something is wrong with your Cricket account then because Cricket billing cycles are monthly & not every 30 days like most MVNO's.

Feedback Score
    Many Social Security payments are also on the 3rd of the month.
    at&t Prepaid is what I'm on.
    Thanks for that Cricket tip. Looking at their service. They are on the at&t backbone. Highly rated.
    The 30 day billing cycle is the issue.
    For me weekly pay is best. Yes. I've had people ask how I budget with weekly pay. That's individual tho.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    SSI payments are on the first Wednesday of the month. That first Wednesday can vary from the first to the seventh date of the month. There are no Social Security payments on a specific date of the month. The change frustrated theft of mailed checks and spread the workload around for the Department of the Treasury and the Federal Reserve. For people who started receiving Social Security checks before 1997, their payments dates have not changed.

You can add funds to your account whenever you desire regardless of the date the carrier collects the payment. One issue with credit card account payments is that you want to make sure that you do not mistakenly make two payments during the same billing cycle. This could cause you to miss a payment during the next billing cycle. The repercussions could be late fees, additional interest or changes in the contract terms.

Feedback Score
    " There are no Social Security payments on a specific date of the month. "
    Yes there are. If you have direct deposit or Direct Express.

Feedback Score
    Cricket *definitely* runs on a monthly cycle. This is one of the few things I'm missing with Cricket, not having to calculate when my bill is due. That and the ease of adding/creating multi-line accounts, something that can be tricky on AT&T Prepaid but only has to be done once in a blue moon. As much as I really liked Cricket, I'm finding AT&T Prepaid's benefits more than offset Cricket's advantages.

The Telcos know what's happening, but they fully recognize prepaid is a discounted offering. If you want an exact billing date, I'm sure they're much more likely to point you toward postpaid than making prepaid an even more attractive alternative to postpaid than it already is.

As for auto-payments not working on a 30 day cycle, that's not totally true. CallingMart will allow you to schedule payments either on a single date every month or every x days.

Feedback Score
    Cricket's monthly billing setup can be found on their site at https://www.cricketwireless.com. Billing is determined by when you set up the plan, and can be changed by calling them on the 800 number given on their web page at https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp.../payments.html. A BIG plus. Like many telcos, they discount for autopay.

Feedback Score
    AT&T Post paid does not have exact billing dates. My payment due date has fluctuated by from the 20th to the 22nd over the last 6 months. My account is setup to auto pay on the due date.

The OP should set up the auto refill through Calling Mart with a credit card to add a couple day payment cushion by a few days using a credit card while receiving the discounted rate.

Feedback Score
    I took a look at Calling Mart and compared it to my at&t Prepaid. They only showed the extinct GoPhone. Their price for this particular plan was not correct. I've been using the $45 plan for years. The Calling Mart price is $48. Their quote for the retail price was $5 higher than the actual price.
    Look before you leap here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhank View Post
    I took a look at Calling Mart and compared it to my at&t Prepaid. They only showed the extinct GoPhone. Their price for this particular plan was not correct. I've been using the $45 plan for years. The Calling Mart price is $48. Their quote for the retail price was $5 higher than the actual price.
    Look before you leap here.
    Calling Mart price is $43.65 for the $45 plan. Go Phone or AT&T Prepaid are the same plans. Lots of posts from people saving money with AT&T Prepaid using Calling Mart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast