Thread: Cheap Android phone

Feedback Score

Cheap Android phone

Hi guys one of my lines (grand parent) is currently using a 4 year old Nexus 5 that doesn't hold charge for longer than like an hour. Any suggestions for a cheapo Android phone to replace it with? No real requirements other than cheap and decent enough battery life.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    $40.00 Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 at Wally and a $2.00 ebay unlock code. Very solid budget Android phone with great voice quality and battery life. After unlocking just slide your Cricket sim in and it's good to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    $40.00 Verizon Prepaid Moto E4 at Wally and a $2.00 ebay unlock code. Very solid budget Android phone with great voice quality and battery life. After unlocking just slide your Cricket sim in and it's good to go.
    Thanks for the info. Seems to be out of stock on Walmart.com

Feedback Score
    Ya the Moto E4 at Walmart is a solid deal for $40. I was able to get one for in-store pick up a couple weeks ago.

Feedback Score
    I'm also looking for a phone, but looking for an iphone 6, now I saw the Verizon iphone 6 for $199 at walmart, my question is , is the verizon version factory unlocked? does it work good on Cricket? does it have all necessary LTE bands for Cricket? thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    I think you can buy AT&T prepaid phones. The cheapest phone out there is the ZTE maven 3 that you can get from $30 at Target to $40 at Best buy. You can get an unlock code from ebay for $1.50.

Feedback Score
    LG Stylo 3. $29.99 + $30 for one month of Cricket + $10 for a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card and number + $2 for an unlock code. Total of $71.99.
    LG Fortune. $0 + $30 + $10 + $2 = $42.
    LG Harmony. $9.99 + $30 + $10 + $2 = $41.99.

Feedback Score
    If battery life is a big priority, look at the Cricket Huawei Elate at Best Buy for $65. Battery is 4000mAh on the Elate vs 2800mAh for the Moto E4. Other spec battles, the Elate tends to win - Snapdragon 435 octa-core vs Snapdragon 425 quad-core on the E4; 5.5" 720p screen vs 5" 720p screen on E4; 12MP rear camera vs 8MP on E4. Memory on both is 2GB RAM/16GB storage, but the Moto has more storage available and is closer to stock Android.

Other big factor is the Elate officially supports HD Voice on Cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Gonzalez View Post
    I'm also looking for a phone, but looking for an iphone 6, now I saw the Verizon iphone 6 for $199 at walmart, my question is , is the verizon version factory unlocked? does it work good on Cricket? does it have all necessary LTE bands for Cricket? thanks in advance
    I wouldn't count on anything from Verizon being unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornos View Post
    If battery life is a big priority, look at the Cricket Huawei Elate at Best Buy for $65. Battery is 4000mAh on the Elate vs 2800mAh for the Moto E4. Other spec battles, the Elate tends to win - Snapdragon 435 octa-core vs Snapdragon 425 quad-core on the E4; 5.5" 720p screen vs 5" 720p screen on E4; 12MP rear camera vs 8MP on E4. Memory on both is 2GB RAM/16GB storage, but the Moto has more storage available and is closer to stock Android.

Other big factor is the Elate officially supports HD Voice on Cricket.
    If I buy one of those all I have to do is put in the existing Cricket sim and it should work right? It doesn't require calling Cricket and paying them any activation charge or anything?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
    Hi guys one of my lines (grand parent) is currently using a 4 year old Nexus 5 that doesn't hold charge for longer than like an hour. Any suggestions for a cheapo Android phone to replace it with? No real requirements other than cheap and decent enough battery life.

Cheers

Not sure if they require a Smartphone or not, but this week you can get into a Nokia 3310 for about $8 and change if you do this deal Best Buy is offering, and choose the $60 card (which you could just apply to your account). It has a crazy long standby time of like 30-45 days.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11114587-no...-for-51-51?v=1

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Why not just put a new battery in there?
    Get cheap calling cards to call anywhere in the world! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
    If I buy one of those all I have to do is put in the existing Cricket sim and it should work right? It doesn't require calling Cricket and paying them any activation charge or anything?
    Sort of depends. The Elate/Ascent XT2 have nano SIM slots, and IIRC the Nexus 5 uses a micro SIM. You have three options:

1) Check your existing SIM - some Cricket SIMs were triple-punched, i.e. perforated for standard, micro and nano sizes. If you have one of these, just punch the nano SIM out of the micro SIM.
    2) Cut the existing SIM or use a punch tool - either use a cheap SIM puncher or - if you're careful - download a nano SIM template and print it out (at actual size), tape the micro SIM to it and cut the SIM. You may also need to file down the SIM slightly with an emory board or light sandpaper because nano SIMs are a hair thinner than micro SIMs.
    3) Activate the SIM that comes with the Elate online onto your account - you should be able to do this on the Cricket activation page at https://www.cricketwireless.com/join and move your service over to the new SIM.

BTW, I bought the Elate's twin, the AT&T Ascend XT2, as a Christmas present for a friend on Cricket solely because it was cheaper than the Elate on Black Friday, and it's a very nice phone. With the metal back it feels more expensive than it is, unlike the Cricket Coolpad Canvas which, while also a decent phone, definitely feels in the hand like a budget phone.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Why not just put a new battery in there?
    Definitely the cheaper option, unless you're not adept at taking the phone partially apart. Also, the Elate will give you HD Voice on Cricket now and possibly WiFI calling in a future update.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Like others have said the Huawei Elate is a sold device. I got one for my mom to get her off her old galaxy sol and she loves it. Big battery and pretty nice screen even though it is 720p https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cricket...?skuId=6032705