Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Att international day pass $10 a day

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    In some cases phone financing isn't a bad option. For me I gauge it on how much of an increase I'm comfortable with on the total cell bill. If I'm happy with the total bill then $30 extra for a phone doesn't matter as much.

If there's a chance i may switch carriers then financing an $800 phone wouldnt be ideal

My first choice is a phone that maxes at $500 so either way is hard justifying 800+ for a phone but for me total bill can help offset it

One thing I won't do is pay good money whether financed or not for a phone without b71. I kind of like the iPhone X but apple can kiss my butt if they think I'll pay that enormous price and not have b71.

A$200 phone is a different story but for $800+ the phone should have what I want
    There are lots of promo on att next. I got my iPhone 8 Plus from sams club for $800 plus $300 gift card in November 2017

Got lg g5 last March 2017 for $5/month ($120 total) at Best Buy and immediately paid it off

That’s how u got to play the att next game. Pay if off to be eligible for another promo

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Meteor View Post
    If you are just calling back to the states, and if you can live with just using your phone when there is a WiFi connection available, (and your phone has WiFi calling)...use wifi calling and everything is FREE.
    That does literally nothing to solve the issue of getting cellular connectivity while abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    My brother uses NEXT to get the newest/best iPhone every year, and it costs less for him than buying the phone outright. That math looks pretty good to me
    If you've got no one to hand the phone down to, and really, really don't want to deal with selling it, then financing on NEXT might be OK, but then you really, really need to look at why you need a new phone every year when an iPhone will easily last 3+ years these days.

Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    My first choice is a phone that maxes at $500 so either way is hard justifying 800+ for a phone but for me total bill can help offset it
    The phone costs exactly the same whether you walk into the Apple Store and hand the guy the $1149 plus tax in 20's or pay the monthly fee on your bill. The difference is that you get a better phone from Apple, and it's factory Unlocked/SIM-free. On Android, you have to buy the AT&T branded one to get VoLTE/VoWiFi, but at least you can unlock it from the get go.

Sometimes they have promos through Best Buy or something for Android phones that are only available on NEXT, but in that case, you can pay it off and get the unlock code a month or two after you buy it.

The NEXT plans are for the mathematically challenged.

I don't inherently oppose the idea of offering financing, but the regulations should really require that the full price be printed above and in larger font than the financed price, so that people who can't do math can figure out what things actually cost. Of course, you could just as well argue that if people can't do math that's their own fault, not AT&T's.

Speaking of buying a phone with actual cash bills, it would be hilarious to actually do that for my next phone (iPhone something or other SIM-free), as opposed to using a credit card, but I probably wouldn't do it, as I make at least 1.25% in points on my credit card, so that's close to $15 I'd lose by paying in straight cash. That, and it's kind of sketchy AF.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post

The phone costs exactly the same whether you walk into the Apple Store and hand the guy the $1149 plus tax in 20's or pay the monthly fee on your bill.
    Actually, I figured out that I paid $1.08 more by financing my phone through ATT Next (I just paid it off last December, I hate owing money). I didn't know that, within a week or so after buying it, that Apple was now selling it outright without having to have a postpaid plan. So I signed up for the next plan and moved to ATT through Best Buy to get the CDMA compatible version.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Actually, I figured out that I paid $1.08 more by financing my phone through ATT Next (I just paid it off last December, I hate owing money). I didn't know that, within a week or so after buying it, that Apple was now selling it outright without having to have a postpaid plan. So I signed up for the next plan and moved to ATT through Best Buy to get the CDMA compatible version.
    Darn! Some rounding error! I guess I was imprecise in my use of the word "exactly"! The Bestbuy one is Qualcomm, but it has some weird Unlocking issues. The best way is to just buy the Verizon version in cash from Apple and rip the SIM out, as that's the same as the SIM-free version, just with a SIM. It is nice to have a truly unlocked/SIM free version though.

Feedback Score
    The phone costs exactly the same whether you walk into the Apple Store and hand the guy the $1149 plus tax in 20's or pay the monthly fee on your bill. The difference is that you get a better phone from Apple, and it's factory Unlocked/SIM-free. On Android, you have to buy the AT&T branded one to get VoLTE/VoWiFi, but at least you can unlock it from the get go.

Sometimes they have promos through Best Buy or something for Android phones that are only available on NEXT, but in that case, you can pay it off and get the unlock code a month or two after you buy it.

The NEXT plans are for the mathematically challenged.

I don't inherently oppose the idea of offering financing, but the regulations should really require that the full price be printed above and in larger font than the financed price, so that people who can't do math can figure out what things actually cost. Of course, you could just as well argue that if people can't do math that's their own fault, not AT&T's.
    Every phone on my AT&T plan has been purchased with a gift card of at least $200 on AT&T next or free after credit. Paying the full price upfront is not always the best option if you are eyeing a particular phone. Being patient and waiting for the right opportunity is the key to receiving the best deals on phones. I purchased an iPhone SE from Sam's and received a $250 gift card.

In the past AT&T required a 2 week wait for the phone to be unlocked when purchased on Next if the phone is immediately paid in full.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    Every phone on my AT&T plan has been purchased with a gift card of at least $200 on AT&T next or free after credit. Paying the full price upfront is not always the best option if you are eyeing a particular phone. Being patient and waiting for the right opportunity is the key to receiving the best deals on phones. I purchased an iPhone SE from Sam's and received a $250 gift card.

In the past AT&T required a 2 week wait for the phone to be unlocked when purchased on Next if the phone is immediately paid in full.
    I suppose there are some promos and such. I'd much rather pay rack rate for an iPhone and get it factory unlocked with Qualcomm hardware though. The SE is all Qualcomm, so you could just as well get the AT&T Prepaid version, as it's way cheaper. Not sure you'd ever get that one unlocked though.

Feedback Score
    I suppose there are some promos and such. I'd much rather pay rack rate for an iPhone and get it factory unlocked with Qualcomm hardware though. The SE is all Qualcomm, so you could just as well get the AT&T Prepaid version, as it's way cheaper. Not sure you'd ever get that one unlocked though.
    Best Buy sales every customer the same iPhone. It is not difficult to buy a Qualcomm iPhone with AT&T to receive a gift card. The iPhone can be paid in full 2 weeks after purchase and the unlocked.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Best Buy sales every customer the same iPhone. It is not difficult to buy a Qualcomm iPhone with AT&T to receive a gift card. The iPhone can be paid in full 2 weeks after purchase and the unlocked.
    But if you buy the prepaid version of the SE, and don't use it on ATT Prepaid for 6 months, you can't unlock it. Though you can use it on ATT MVNOs and ATT postpaid, unlike the Verizon prepaid version when bought discounted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb82 View Post
    After paying att an exuberant amount in data over international travel. I've recently moved to Tmobile and can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would overpay on Att considering the free Tmobile offering and even moreover that nobody copied that feature.

It bothers me cause it means if Tmobile can offer it these other carriers are making a fortune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sprint offers essentially the same roaming as T-Mobile, only better if you want to upgrade. Sprint is free 2G speeds, free texting, 20˘ per min calls. If you want to upgrade to full speed 4G they do $5/day on the days you want it, or $25/week. T-Mobile's only decent 4G speed upgrade is $25 per 1gig.

Verizon and AT&T are both $10/day to use the plan like home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teedawgg View Post
    Sprint offers essentially the same roaming as T-Mobile, only better if you want to upgrade. Sprint is free 2G speeds, free texting, 20˘ per min calls. If you want to upgrade to full speed 4G they do $5/day on the days you want it, or $25/week. T-Mobile's only decent 4G speed upgrade is $25 per 1gig.

Verizon and AT&T are both $10/day to use the plan like home.
    The problem people don't realize is on Att the ten a day is very limited countries where we Tmobile may be slow but it's free and covers way more

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The unlocking process through Best Buy is janky though.

Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    But if you buy the prepaid version of the SE, and don't use it on ATT Prepaid for 6 months, you can't unlock it. Though you can use it on ATT MVNOs and ATT postpaid, unlike the Verizon prepaid version when bought discounted.
    Correct.

The problem people don't realize is on Att the ten a day is very limited countries where we Tmobile may be slow but it's free and covers way more
    T-Mobile's free roaming and AT&T's $10/day is a similar number of countries. Maybe T-Mobile has a few more, but AT&T's Passport for $60/GB has far more countries than either of those.

Feedback Score

But it doesn’t necessarily matter when the average American is only going to popular tourist destinations in Europe, South America, and Asia which all the companies include in their packages. So at that point it’s what the customer feels the better deal is. I’ve used Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint abroad (before Sprint added the cheap weekly 4G pass) and I have to say roaming with Verizon for $10/day was a much better experience. The bigger two US companies tend to have the better international roaming partners. Verizon also tended to allow me to use whatever network I wanted whereas Sprint and T-Mobile were usually partnered with the smaller networks with inferior coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My sister seemed to have as good of coverage in Australia a year ago with T-Mobile roaming as I did with Verizon roaming. Her's was just much slower since she used the "free" data roaming and I paid for the $10+tax/day roaming.

Feedback Score
    The unlocking process through Best Buy is janky though.
    I have never had a problem unlocking a Best Buy purchased iPhone but I have not activated using an MVNO who has not paid Apple their ransom. I have purchased AT&T prepaid SE to use on postpaid. No problems unlocking the prepaid iPhone.

The rules are clear with Best Buy iPhones. I will continue to receive the gift cards for my purchases.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have never had a problem unlocking a Best Buy purchased iPhone but I have not activated using an MVNO who has not paid Apple their ransom. I have purchased AT&T prepaid SE to use on postpaid. No problems unlocking the prepaid iPhone.

The rules are clear with Best Buy iPhones. I will continue to receive the gift cards for my purchases.
    Good to know. I'd still only buy from the Apple Store, SIM-free.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast