Thread: No free speech?

Feedback Score

No free speech?

Just got my s7 edge and, coming from the IOS platform, there is a little bit of a learning curve. Nothing difficult, but different. One being that when I use speech to text, it automatically censors my cussin' Is there a work around that I don't know about (more like I can't find in the settings or on google for that matter)? When I search on google for the work round the option isn't where it's supposed to be. Seems like the resolutions I find are for older OS's

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, LG Volt, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxx View Post
    Just got my s7 edge and, coming from the IOS platform, there is a little bit of a learning curve. Nothing difficult, but different. One being that when I use speech to text, it automatically censors my cussin' Is there a work around that I don't know about (more like I can't find in the settings or on google for that matter)? When I search on google for the work round the option isn't where it's supposed to be. Seems like the resolutions I find are for older OS's
    Under Google Settings there should be an option for "Block offensive words" that you can disable. On my S7, the option is under the "Voice" menu.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't see a "Voice" menu on my Galaxy S7 Edge.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Name:  Screenshot_20180106-191020.png
Views: 101
Size:  77.4 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20180106-191041.png
Views: 103
Size:  55.9 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20180106-191052.png
Views: 102
Size:  56.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20180106-191117.png
Views: 100
Size:  122.7 KB
    Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I don't see how.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Looks the same on my settings. Maybe mmoose is using a different Android version. I am using 7.0 on my Samsung. Same results when I switch to "Google Text-to-speech". Maybe we are missing something ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Looks the same on my settings. Maybe mmoose is using a different Android version. I am using 7.0 on my Samsung. Same results when I switch to "Google Text-to-speech". Maybe we are missing something ?
    A couple things are different. I have an S7, not an Edge; alsoI have Android 7.0, but I have a Cricket-branded variant, so perhaps the firmware makes this different.

Also, it could be that I am talking about something different entirely. I thought OP was talking about OK Google, Google Assistant, etc., but maybe I am misunderstanding the situation. (If so, I'm sorry for the confusion.)

I'll post some screen shots in a moment.

Edit: Added screenshots. FYI, the first settings screen is opened from within the Google app, not from System settings.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The operating system layout on the regular S7 and the S7 Edge should make no difference. I am using my Samsung on Sprint so I suspect the settings are different based on the carrier. That would be a logical explanation. mmose, if you can post some screen shots, it will be very useful for comparison.

Feedback Score
    I'm on Verizon, and if I didn't mention it before it's an Edge with 7.0.
    When I was texting earlier in the day, I used voice to text and the word ******* was censored. I was suprised to see the **** show up. Never would I think I would ever see that in a text or texting program.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It is no different when you post to HOFO. The system can limit what information is posted. It isn't censorship, the network can get in trouble for certain words posted through or on their network with the FCC and they restrict content.

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I find it hard to believe that a network provider would restrict words in a private conversation. Never had any issues with any language I chose to use using either an iPhone or Blackberry. HOFO is using vB, and it has language filters. It's a public forum that quite possibly children access and don't need to be subject to potty mouths, so yes HOFO is 1000% correct with the filtering is has in place. But between 2 adults texting, I really don't think so.

Feedback Score
    I found what I was looking for. The setting is under virtual keyboards.
    Thank you all for answering me. Appreciate it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I find it hard to believe that a network provider would restrict words in a private conversation. Never had any issues with any language I chose to use using either an iPhone or Blackberry. HOFO is using vB, and it has language filters. It's a public forum that quite possibly children access and don't need to be subject to potty mouths, so yes HOFO is 1000% correct with the filtering is has in place. But between 2 adults texting, I really don't think so.
    Remember, it blurs the line if message is offensive and it is sent to a minor child (even if by mistake).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    It is no different when you post to HOFO. The system can limit what information is posted. It isn't censorship, the network can get in trouble for certain words posted through or on their network with the FCC and they restrict content.

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app
    Exactly. HOFO is the publication of Howard/etc the owners. When the choose to allow, or not allow content here, it is no different than the New York Times choosing the letters for its letters page. It's freedom of the press, really.

Also, I should say that your mention of the FCC might be out of place? Are you aware of the nation which HOFO is based in and runs out of???
    "Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property." - Milton Friedman.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I found what I was looking for. The setting is under virtual keyboards.
    Thank you all for answering me. Appreciate it.
    Glad to hear it. Sorry I (unintentionally) misled you early on.

Feedback Score
    When I was using Boost which runs on Sprint I noticed that when I would text or even send emails certain words I had typed in were sent out as **** rather than what I actually typed. I found that very peculiar.
    This was using messenging phones like the Incognito and Juno.
    I never dug into the settings to see if I could adjust it to send what I typed.
    And through no other carrier had I had my messages and emails 'cleaned up'.
    Just through Boost.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2