Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Why do you all stay with Verizon

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Why do you all stay with Verizon

I was curious what keeps everyone here with Verizon.

I live in the Pittsburgh PA market and Verizon is definitely very strong here but not the fastest in all places.

For Verizon here is what I found. The density between macros and small cells is excellent. There is good coverage everywhere I go except for one spot (itís a rural zoo I visit often with the kids) as well but often I can run into congestion issues during the day when Iím around downtown. Primarily you will band 13 (10x10) and band 4 (all 20x20) and a few spots with band 2 as well (possibly just 10x10). The only other issue I have is with speed constancy. In general speeds range from 30 Mbps to 100+ Mbps but a few places speeds can get under 5 Mbps and be almost unusable.

I trialed t-mobile and I found their coverage was also great but no where near as dense as Verizon and their band 12 coverage is pretty thin so their performance in large buildings is pretty weak compared to Verizon. Overall their speeds are 50-100+ Mbps and in most spots they are faster than Verizon. But their band 2 and 4 is only in 15x15 blocks so you can tell they must have way less customers than Verizon because I never saw congestion issues.

Right now I pay Verizon 133.19 a month (with 19% Corp discount) for 16Gb on 2 lines and I never go over on data. If I switched to t-Mobile it would be 130 flat for 2 lines for me (one line with the 10.00 plus upgrade cause on rare occasions I do need to tether) with free Netflix that I do use.

Basically Iím just wondering what has everyone staying with verizon and not choosing a different carrier. I would save about 15 bucks a month (counting my Netflix savings) and go from limited to unlimited data. The only thing that stops me is my office looses all signal with t-mobile as soon as I walk inside of it.

I also understand that everyoneís coverage for where they go is different so no carrier is perfect but there is no denying that t-mobile is not the company it used to be and it has grown leaps and bounds and their speeds and coverage is great but IMO itís only because they have less subscribers clogging up the spectrum.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, I think a lot of the observations you make are generally ones I've made as well. Why do I stay? It's freaking everywhere, and it's super dense compared to the other options in my area. Is it always the fastest? Nope. I don't need that. As long as I'm not relying on a speed test app to tell me what network is the best, I will conclude it is Verizon for my purposes.

Having said that, I'm also testing T-Mobile. Here's what I've found: It's better than I thought. However, for each T-Mo serving cell, you'll have an extra 2 or 3 Verizon and AT&T serving cells. At least that's the case in my city. I went out and did some CellMapper this weekend to confirm that. I was able to achieve No Service in a car in an area best described as suburban -- that's not good. I also had two speed tests done at low car speed fail with network failure. BUT -- when you're in a good spot, and on a modern site, it is FAST. Like "holy crap, I didn't know my phone could do that" fast. I expect them to get better and better with time.

When I got done mapping, I was super happy to pop the Verizon SIM back in. I'll take those reliable 50Mbps to 100Mbps speed tests and run.

I'll continue to evaluate all of my options, as everyone should periodically do.

Feedback Score
    For the most part, Verizon works where I need it especially in remote rural locations. Also, Root Metrics tells me year after year with independent studies that Verizon is the best. When you have the best, why would you want to settle for less?

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I stay with Verizon because I value coverage more than speed. I want my phone to work everywhere.

On the other hand, I'd love to bring my tablet to T-Mobile for the speed advantages, but Verizon is actually cheaper for me, thanks to my grandfathered unlimited data plan with them. If Verizon ever kicks me off, I'll probably switch, but only for the tablet.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Cellular service is like real estate.... location, location, location.

I use Verizon because it has the best coverage for all the places that I visit, and where we travel on vacation. The two things that I appreciate most about Verizon is the coverage and the features. Do I pay a little more for it, sure. But I pay a little more so my wife doesn't have to.

My wife is on Cricket, and it works at 95% of the places we go, so for the places it doesn't I just turn on my hotspot so she can keep using her phone over WiFi. My daughter and boyfriend are on MetroPCS, and as long as they are in the city they are happy too.

I don't view download speed as that important. There are times where the towers are more congested, but even at 5 Mbps I get what I need just fine, and can stream any video I want at that speed.

That being said, T-Mobile is making huge strides, and deserve a lot of credit. But they are not yet near Verizon (or even AT&T postpaid) levels yet. They still don't have coverage where much of my family and friends live, or where I like to go camping, so they aren't an option at this point.

Go with what works for you.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Well, I think a lot of the observations you make are generally ones I've made as well. Why do I stay? It's freaking everywhere, and it's super dense compared to the other options in my area. Is it always the fastest? Nope. I don't need that. As long as I'm not relying on a speed test app to tell me what network is the best, I will conclude it is Verizon for my purposes.

Having said that, I'm also testing T-Mobile. Here's what I've found: It's better than I thought. However, for each T-Mo serving cell, you'll have an extra 2 or 3 Verizon and AT&T serving cells. At least that's the case in my city. I went out and did some CellMapper this weekend to confirm that. I was able to achieve No Service in a car in an area best described as suburban -- that's not good. I also had two speed tests done at low car speed fail with network failure. BUT -- when you're in a good spot, and on a modern site, it is FAST. Like "holy crap, I didn't know my phone could do that" fast. I expect them to get better and better with time.

When I got done mapping, I was super happy to pop the Verizon SIM back in. I'll take those reliable 50Mbps to 100Mbps speed tests and run.

I'll continue to evaluate all of my options, as everyone should periodically do.
    Thatís basically what I found as well.

My initial expectations for t-mobile was very low and I was very surprised to see how good it actually was but the coverage is still just a little behind Verizon. Now when t-mobile adds band 71 makes it to my area or beefs up band 12 for better building penetration then I may need to re-evaluate my situation again.

If Verizon would just increase backhaul to some sites and work on a nationwide massive MIMO rollout then they would be truly unstoppable. Plus getting another 20x20 block of spectrum from dish or sprint wouldnít hurt either.

I have said it before regarding the fast speeds but for anything I do with my phone (except tethering and downloading a big app) I canít tell the difference between 5 Mbps and 100 Mbps.

So for me Iím still ok paying that extra 15.00 a month for better coverage with less data since Iím not going over but I will always keep my options open (Iím the type of person who saves up and buys a phone all at once vs a monthly payment plan so Iím not locked in a carrier).

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    That’s basically what I found as well.

My initial expectations for t-mobile was very low and I was very surprised to see how good it actually was but the coverage is still just a little behind Verizon. Now when t-mobile adds band 71 makes it to my area or beefs up band 12 for better building penetration then I may need to re-evaluate my situation again.

If Verizon would just increase backhaul to some sites and work on a nationwide massive MIMO rollout then they would be truly unstoppable. Plus getting another 20x20 block of spectrum from dish or sprint wouldn’t hurt either.

I have said it before regarding the fast speeds but for anything I do with my phone (except tethering and downloading a big app) I can’t tell the difference between 5 Mbps and 100 Mbps.

So for me I’m still ok paying that extra 15.00 a month for better coverage with less data since I’m not going over but I will always keep my options open (I’m the type of person who saves up and buys a phone all at once vs a monthly payment plan so I’m not locked in a carrier).
    On the speed test forum, I posted my fastest Verizon result. I saw it last night while driving home. The site is only equipped with 13 and 4, but backhaul is cranked up. If not for me hitting a modern TMO site this weekend, it would be the fastest speed I've ever received on a phone, including the rest of the TMO tests I did. So Verizon isn't that far behind on speed in my area, either. But as you point out, they need to do some work. Like you say, though, the speed tests are just male measuring contests. My phone has not failed to actually function on LTE with Verizon at any point (except when I intentionally went to a town with no cellular service from any carrier )

Feedback Score

Why do you all stay with Verizon

I stay with Verizon because they have the best density, coverage, and speed where I live and travel to. Unless something changes I will stick with them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    On the speed test forum, I posted my fastest Verizon result. I saw it last night while driving home. The site is only equipped with 13 and 4, but backhaul is cranked up. If not for me hitting a modern TMO site this weekend, it would be the fastest speed I've ever received on a phone, including the rest of the TMO tests I did. So Verizon isn't that far behind on speed in my area, either. But as you point out, they need to do some work. Like you say, though, the speed tests are just male measuring contests. My phone has not failed to actually function on LTE with Verizon at any point (except when I intentionally went to a town with no cellular service from any carrier )
    I feel like Verizon is the type of company that wants to push out to people what they need vs what they actually want. Although Iím sure Verizon would love to be able to push out 1 Gbps service to each phone no phone actually needs that today. Since you canít tell the difference unless you run a speed test Verizon would probably just rather worry about giving each customer a solid 10-15 Mbps of constant service vs a 1Gbps service they would never notice and still have a fast and excellent experience using your device.

Sure once self driving cars and such catch on then those services will be essential so planning for the future is smart.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    My daughter almost switched from cricket to Verizon. She has low cell signal at her new apt. But since she turned on WiFi calling she decided to stay with cricket with their unlimited plan for $25.
    Get cheap calling cards to call anywhere in the world! Click here!

Feedback Score
    I stay because I get the best bang for the buck. I pay $50 (part of a family plan) and basically have the Feb UDP. The only thing I kind of dislike is the video throttling. But then I just use Tunnel Bear and a button solves the problem. Other than the features, they have the best overall network where I go. Best density, coverage, speed in the city and reliability (most important to me) so why not?

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I feel like Verizon is the type of company that wants to push out to people what they need vs what they actually want. Although I’m sure Verizon would love to be able to push out 1 Gbps service to each phone no phone actually needs that today. Since you can’t tell the difference unless you run a speed test Verizon would probably just rather worry about giving each customer a solid 10-15 Mbps of constant service vs a 1Gbps service they would never notice and still have a fast and excellent experience using your device.

Sure once self driving cars and such catch on then those services will be essential so planning for the future is smart.
    You are exactly right about Verizon's policy on that. My home site has limited backhaul, so you'll never see more than about 80Mbps. However, I also never see lower than about 35Mbps. As long as that is the situation, Verizon is satisfied...and so am I. Remember, internally, they define "acceptable service" as greater than 5Mbps. So until a number of customers start going under that limit in an area, they may not do anything. Having said that, they tend to perform *well* above that metric.

Device(s)
    LG G-3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The one and only reason is coverage. I live in a rural area and Verizon has coverage where other carriers don't.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus QCOM, SM-G950U1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    While I live and often travel through some of Verizon's weakest areas, they usually can maintain 4G with only a few drops to no service - so I wouldn't recommend them to anyone here. As for other places out of this particular region, Verizon works great.

I actually plan on dropping my Verizon service later this month due to the many network problems I have with them.

But, for most people in other states, Verizon has competitive pricing, reliable service, and quite fast speeds. I'm sure that's exactly why people choose them over other carriers.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using HoFo mobile app
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am with ATT now, but I will be carrying on my road trip to Colorado another phone with a Verizon MVNO for $10/month.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast