Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you all stay with Verizon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I was curious what keeps everyone here with Verizon.

I live in the Pittsburgh PA market and Verizon is definitely very strong here but not the fastest in all places.

For Verizon here is what I found. The density between macros and small cells is excellent. There is good coverage everywhere I go except for one spot (it’s a rural zoo I visit often with the kids) as well but often I can run into congestion issues during the day when I’m around downtown. Primarily you will band 13 (10x10) and band 4 (all 20x20) and a few spots with band 2 as well (possibly just 10x10). The only other issue I have is with speed constancy. In general speeds range from 30 Mbps to 100+ Mbps but a few places speeds can get under 5 Mbps and be almost unusable.

I trialed t-mobile and I found their coverage was also great but no where near as dense as Verizon and their band 12 coverage is pretty thin so their performance in large buildings is pretty weak compared to Verizon. Overall their speeds are 50-100+ Mbps and in most spots they are faster than Verizon. But their band 2 and 4 is only in 15x15 blocks so you can tell they must have way less customers than Verizon because I never saw congestion issues.

Right now I pay Verizon 133.19 a month (with 19% Corp discount) for 16Gb on 2 lines and I never go over on data. If I switched to t-Mobile it would be 130 flat for 2 lines for me (one line with the 10.00 plus upgrade cause on rare occasions I do need to tether) with free Netflix that I do use.

Basically I’m just wondering what has everyone staying with verizon and not choosing a different carrier. I would save about 15 bucks a month (counting my Netflix savings) and go from limited to unlimited data. The only thing that stops me is my office looses all signal with t-mobile as soon as I walk inside of it.

I also understand that everyone’s coverage for where they go is different so no carrier is perfect but there is no denying that t-mobile is not the company it used to be and it has grown leaps and bounds and their speeds and coverage is great but IMO it’s only because they have less subscribers clogging up the spectrum.
    I'm not sure the point of this thread. You answered your own question when you stated you lose connection with another carrier as soon as you arrive at work. That's likely the reason anyone intelligent would have for choosing one carrier over another. The only other reason to choose one carrier over another is that somebody is giving it away for free and you can live with the potential trade off.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Verizon's 5gb plan is pretty competitive and I've seen quite a few stay for that plan since it works well for them.

Verizon's 5gb plan looks to be $15 cheaper than att's new 5gb plan. For postpaid Verizon's 5gb plan is one of the better ones out there and a discount makes it even better.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    I'm not sure the point of this thread. You answered your own question when you stated you lose connection with another carrier as soon as you arrive at work. That's likely the reason anyone intelligent would have for choosing one carrier over another. The only other reason to choose one carrier over another is that somebody is giving it away for free and you can live with the potential trade off.
    The point of the thread was to get people talking and hear their opinions on why they stay with one carrier over another when competition is so close now vs the large service gap that occurred a few years ago. Everyone obviously has different needs (speed, coverage, value, etc) and Iím not asking for someone to choose a carrier for me.

I have used t-mobile, Verizon, and AT&T and they are all good in my area so the point was to ask other people how they choose and to not bash a particular carrier in the process.

When I switched from ATT I was not unhappy with the cell service I was unhappy with the customer service I received after being a loyal customer for 15 years so I left but their coverage and speed is good in my market, I also travel to WV for work on occasion and they have the best native WV coverage as well

My trial with T-Mobile was shockingly good but the lack of heavy band 12 deployment in my area left me with sub par indoor coverage in large buildings. Their speeds were shockingly fast. They also donít have much native coverage in WV and rely on US cellular pretty heavily for coverage but It appears that they will be using band 71 in a few years to cover that state but itís just hills and valleys so coverage is difficult. On a side note itís funny hearing people bash T-Mobile when they have never even tried them or havenít tried them in 5 years and have no idea what they are talking about. I actually recommend them over Verizon here for people who donít travel often and for people who donít spend a lot of time in big buildings downtown cause they are cheaper and faster.

Overall Verizon seems to edge out over ATT for me due to their heavy density here and great coverage but they are not always the fastest. I do have congestion issues in a few areas that I rarely travel to during certain times of the day but as long as Iím not streaming video or setting up a hot spot I donít really notice it that much. I will admit though when I switched carriers I was initially disappointed in VZWís customer service as well but they resolved my problems after a few escalations. They also donít have the best coverage in WV aside from interstates and big towns.

So my primary line is Verizon but I also have a Back up plan just because itís so cheap. I have a t-mobile sim thatís on the 3.00 a month plan for a small amount voice and texts so I just throw 10 bucks in that account and itís good for 3 months. Iím also going to be grabbing a ATT prepaid sim with the 2.00 daily plan so if I need it then itís only 2 bucks on the days I use it and free for others. This way I never have to worry about not having coverage.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and it seems like the main stay-point with Verizon is coverage with good speed.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In the old days, you picked your carrier based on who did business where you lived. Forget about travel. Not every carrier covered every area at all, so that made your decision for you. You dealt with the travel situation when it came up, and often the result was "No Service".

The landscape is so different now. Except for rural areas, all 4 major carriers provide service in all areas. In rural areas, temporary roaming service is generally available. We now use similar criteria, but we can be a lot more demanding. We still want service everywhere we can get it, but they actually deliver on that promise much more often than before. Additionally, we now have the complication of data service. It's not good enough to just get a signal like the old days.

At this point, the carriers are basically close enough that the decision is much less critical. They all have their pros and cons. Some will provide lightning fast, but sporadic service. Others provide relatively consistent, but slower service. It will all depend on what your expectations are. We're definitely shopping differently these days.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO G, Iphone 6 On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    In the old days, you picked your carrier based on who did business where you lived. Forget about travel. Not every carrier covered every area at all, so that made your decision for you. You dealt with the travel situation when it came up, and often the result was "No Service".
    Good points. And even after that time that you describe but before the smart phone boom, the only thing that mattered to all customers was whether they had coverage for voice calls where & when they needed it. These days different wireless customers have different needs. Some customers care more about being able to make calls & have not calls not drop & others don't care about voice at all but want fast data speeds wherever they go. Then I'm sure there are others who care very much about both. It makes it a little more difficult for the carriers to build a reliable network when reliable means different things to different customers.

I think Verizon is doing a great job at keeping their network reliable on all fronts. As we all know there is no perfect carrier everywhere but sometimes when you read these forums it's funny to see people paint Verizon as the worst carrier in the nation.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Good points. And even after that time that you describe but before the smart phone boom, the only thing that mattered to all customers was whether they had coverage for voice calls where & when they needed it. These days different wireless customers have different needs. Some customers care more about being able to make calls & have not calls not drop & others don't care about voice at all but want fast data speeds wherever they go. Then I'm sure there are others who care very much about both. It makes it a little more difficult for the carriers to build a reliable network when reliable means different things to different customers.

I think Verizon is doing a great job at keeping their network reliable on all fronts. As we all know there is no perfect carrier everywhere but sometimes when you read these forums it's funny to see people paint Verizon as the worst carrier in the nation.
    The carriers have a very difficult job now, indeed. Creating solid GSM/1x coverage was relatively easy compared to fixing data capacity issues. You really didn't have to worry about capacity in the voice/text days, unless there was a major disaster. So now, the carriers have to think not only about signal strength, but also getting dense enough to handle the data requirements (i.e., your data will generally work pretty poorly at very poor signal strength). It's a tough job that only gets tougher as time goes along. That's why they get paid the big bucks.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    That's why I tell people to get what works for them and not worry what everyone else has. Verizon is a well oiled machine but I don't like their postpaid, but I really like Verizon prepaid. It works well for me along with my T-Mobile line.

Have a friend that works out all the time when he's off, stays in great shape etc and the women love him at the bars. He uses a cheap boost line but that's never stopped the women from flirting with him.

Use what works for you and not over worry. I usually have a backup on me so if one poops out chances are the other service works fine
    Last edited by themanhimself; 01-12-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    What was T-Mobile speeds, just curious
    Most recent test at 1/12/2018 - 2:15PST

Device and Carrier Ping Down Up
    Essential Ph-1 (Sprint). 28ms 14.33Mbps 9.19Mbps
    iPhone 6s (TMobile) 14ms 94.5Mbps 23.6Mbps
    LG G6 (Verizon) 26ms 110.15Mbps. 32.97Mbps

For me Verizon has less dropped calls.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    The point of the thread was to get people talking and hear their opinions on why they stay with one carrier over another when competition is so close now vs the large service gap that occurred a few years ago. Everyone obviously has different needs (speed, coverage, value, etc) and Iím not asking for someone to choose a carrier for me.
    I travel for work to some rural parts of Texas with some international travel to Canada and Mexico. AT&T or Verizon are the only 2 options which meet my needs. AT&T provides the best buy for our 7 lines and is cheaper than Cricket UL with hotspot. Sprint has no service in several areas of Texas where I travel. T Mobile has spotty service which wold require me to walk outside to use my phone.

AT&T based on price and service with Verizon being the only option which would be more expensive.

Feedback Score
    I stay for the speeds and still usable hotspot data past 15GB. Itís been a great experience so far. https://youtu.be/hAN34us-NW0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I shouldn't have said brainwashed so I apologize for that. It's just that Verizon isn't always the best every time. That's the point I was getting at

Feedback Score

Why do you all stay with Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    I shouldn't have said brainwashed so I apologize for that. It's just that Verizon isn't always the best every time. That's the point I was getting at
    No carrier is the best every time. I was at MSG yesterday in NYC and T-Mobile was the best. It depends where you go and how much density and capacity is available

Feedback Score

Why do you all stay with Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    No carrier is the best every time. I was at MSG yesterday in NYC and T-Mobile was the best. It depends where you go and how much density and capacity is available
    I was at MSG a few years back and people in line in front of my with T-Mobile has no service inside the building. It was crazy to see multiple people on WiFi calling in front of me. Iím glad itís changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post

The landscape is so different now. Except for rural areas, all 4 major carriers provide service in all areas. In rural areas, temporary roaming service is generally available. We now use similar criteria, but we can be a lot more demanding. We still want service everywhere we can get it, but they actually deliver on that promise much more often than before. Additionally, we now have the complication of data service. It's not good enough to just get a signal like the old days.

At this point, the carriers are basically close enough that the decision is much less critical. They all have their pros and cons. Some will provide lightning fast, but sporadic service. Others provide relatively consistent, but slower service. It will all depend on what your expectations are. We're definitely shopping differently these days.
    T-Mobile is working pretty fast for rolling out 600 Mhz in rural areas over the last four months on this map.

All T-Mobile needs is cheaper B71 phones than the LT G6 and S8 Active. However, T-Mobile claims 12 new B71 phones from budget to flagship will be released this year. Also, NYC, Miami and other cities are getting B71 faster than expected.

FCC Approved early relocations to citiers with B71

Market Station(s) New date
    NYC WWOR 02/15/2018
    Springdale, AR KWOG 04/01/2018
    Miami, FL WAMI-DT, WJAN-CD 06/01/2018
    Lansing, MI WKAR-TV 06/01/2018
    Charleston, SC WCSC-TV 06/01/2018
    Savannah, GA WSAV-TV 06/01/2018
    Jackson, TN WJKT 06/01/2018
    Green Bay, WI WPNE-TV, WGBA-TV 07/01/2018
    Puerto Rico all 19 stations 08/01/2018
    U.S. Virgin Islands WZVI 08/01/2018
    Sioux Falls, SD KDLT-TV 11/30/2018
    Jackson, MS WDBD, WLOO 11/30/2018

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus QCOM, SM-G950U1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile is working pretty fast for rolling out 600 Mhz in rural areas over the last four months on this map.

All T-Mobile needs is cheaper B71 phones than the LT G6 and S8 Active. However, T-Mobile claims 12 new B71 phones from budget to flagship will be released this year. Also, NYC, Miami and other cities are getting B71 faster than expected.

FCC Approved early relocations to citiers with B71

Market Station(s) New date
    NYC WWOR 02/15/2018
    Springdale, AR KWOG 04/01/2018
    Miami, FL WAMI-DT, WJAN-CD 06/01/2018
    Lansing, MI WKAR-TV 06/01/2018
    Charleston, SC WCSC-TV 06/01/2018
    Savannah, GA WSAV-TV 06/01/2018
    Jackson, TN WJKT 06/01/2018
    Green Bay, WI WPNE-TV, WGBA-TV 07/01/2018
    Puerto Rico all 19 stations 08/01/2018
    U.S. Virgin Islands WZVI 08/01/2018
    Sioux Falls, SD KDLT-TV 11/30/2018
    Jackson, MS WDBD, WLOO 11/30/2018
    Yes, T-Mobile is getting closer to matching the big two in rural coverage. But the quality of the network is what I am concerned about. Both Verizon and AT&T have built robust networks for rural customers. I see T-Mobile adding L600 in these areas and calling it good, which it may or may not be. Weíll have to wait and see.
    --Bentley

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast