Thread: AT&T service in Asheville NC

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T service in Asheville NC

Prior to starting this thread I did attempt to Google the answer and was unsuccessful so my apologies if this has came up before.

My sister lives in Asheville North Carolina and is currently going through a rough divorce that is affecting her financially. I am considering adding her on to my AT&T account but I am not sure about the coverage in and around the Asheville area. She primarily stays in Asheville however normally once a month her work requires her to spend a day in Greenville South Carolina as well as Johnson City Tennessee. I know from previous trips that Verizon did good in this area when combined with the ability to use US cellular in the absolute middle of nowhere places but I have not had an opportunity to travel there since switching to AT&T back in October so I’m reaching out to the community in hopes of getting more information.

Thanks to all in advance who reply.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post
    Prior to starting this thread I did attempt to Google the answer and was unsuccessful so my apologies if this has came up before.

My sister lives in Asheville North Carolina and is currently going through a rough divorce that is affecting her financially. I am considering adding her on to my AT&T account but I am not sure about the coverage in and around the Asheville area. She primarily stays in Asheville however normally once a month her work requires her to spend a day in Greenville South Carolina as well as Johnson City Tennessee. I know from previous trips that Verizon did good in this area when combined with the ability to use US cellular in the absolute middle of nowhere places but I have not had an opportunity to travel there since switching to AT&T back in October so I’m reaching out to the community in hopes of getting more information.

Thanks to all in advance who reply.
    I'd suggest checking root metrics, Sensorly, cell mapper, etc. They may have had testing and reports from users submitted in the area.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Iphone 6S Plus, Iphone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I lived down South in Eastern TN for quite a while and would often travel to Johnson City and Asheville. AT&T performs just fine in both of these areas. The only troubles I really had in Asheville were near the Biltmore estate. During busy times of the year data speeds would be very slow due to congestion. Verizon does have US Cellular as a roaming partner in this area which is helpful but overall AT&T gets the job done just fine. Traveling from Asheville up to Johnson City on I-26, I can only remember one area that was rough with limited service (geography is difficult) but the rest of the way, I always had good service. Data speeds in Johnson City were always great and coverage was great as well.

Feedback Score
    I live in Sevierville TN (other side of the smokies), about 80 miles from Asheville. And my cricket (AT&T MVNO) service has been just as good or better than Verizon. I think the local Verizon towers here are so full my speeds have been less than 2 up and 2 down. While at&t has been 10 up and 10/down or more.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I've used att in the area (dont live there) and for the most part it seemed pretty good.

Feedback Score
    I currently live in Asheville and use AT&T as my primary carrier with no problems. Maybe not quite as good as Verizon (but very close) and better than T-Mobile. The area has Band 4, 12/17, and 30 on AT&T and as far as I've seen and indoor penetration as well as average speeds are usually pretty good. A few problems in the outskirt canyon and heavily wooded areas and here and there on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but that is the case with all carriers due to the rugged terrain. I consider service to be completely acceptable overall. Greenville/Spartanburg being mostly flat are even better. I'm not in Johnson City very often but last time I was there I had no problems.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    Att is in love with North Carolina. She shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you also very much for your reply’s. It is now a done deal and she is officially on AT&T.

I also had a very neat store experience tonight. When I went into the local corporate store to get some information on the best way to handle the situation since I am in Florida and she is a North Carolina the rep went above and beyond. When I explained to him that she wanted to keep her iPhone 7 he offered to take care of everything involved with the port here and got a hold of a local store there and set everything up so that she could just pick up the new Sim card to finish the switch. Only 20 minutes and everything was good.

Feedback Score
    I travel from Greensboro to Asheville as well as John City TN and Greenville areas. AT&T works great. I go as far as Western Carolina University and AT&T works well. It is a little spotty in Maggie Valley but works for the most part. She will have no problem with AT&T.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    have two family members that live in Asheville and both on at&t. They were on sprint previously and it wasn't very good there as of a couple years ago. So far I haven't heard any complaints from them being on at&t

Feedback Score

AT&T is a behemoth in the Carolinas only problems in areas I see are areas with established Co-OP’s that are not under Spirit communications like before Horry County Telephone joined Spirit Communications Myrtle Beach SC had ATT service but it was HSPA only and that was a nightmare for the longest time but I think Most co-ops now In the Carolina are under Spirit Communications which strike up deals with AT&T cause Spirit has a lot of Fiber line running thru our states in rural areas etc problem areas I could see Verizon,Windstream,Embarq in some areas has some counties in our states under their wrath I know one county in NC McDowell County is Verizon territory AT&T is alright like in the towns but in the mountains of that county US Cellular and Verizon owns and it’s a win win to them cause of agreements with each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live in Western NC, near Franklin NC. Went to Western Carolina for 4 years as well.

Its gotten a lot better since 2010 but if I had to recommended a provider for Western NC then it would be Verizon. Although ATT has been doing a lot better recently here.

I notice that far more people are on Verizon here than ATT. We had our power go out for a solid day due to a winter storm and Verizon was quite slow and obviously people were slamming the tower. My ATT mobely lines were fine, didnt seem to have any congestion. During the eclipse Verizon was 100% unuseable for before during and after the eclipse. Of course that was a one time thing but thats what happens when like 75% of people have the one carrier.

That said, if you travel to really rural areas in WNC then you need Verizon and there can be no argument. One example would be the road between Cullowhee (WCU) and Franklin. If you don't take the highway and you take that back road, you better pray you have Verizon since they will be your only hope if you get into trouble. I totaled my car late at night on that road and if I didn't have that 1 bar of 1x Verizon I could have bled out. Another car did not show up until over an hour later and it was beyond pitch black, I couldnt even find my phone for over 30 mis. The car was still connected (via bluetooth) to the phone and actually called 911 despite being flipped over and smashed in a ditch.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by andben2 View Post
    I live in Western NC, near Franklin NC. Went to Western Carolina for 4 years as well.

Its gotten a lot better since 2010 but if I had to recommended a provider for Western NC then it would be Verizon. Although ATT has been doing a lot better recently here.

I notice that far more people are on Verizon here than ATT. We had our power go out for a solid day due to a winter storm and Verizon was quite slow and obviously people were slamming the tower. My ATT mobely lines were fine, didnt seem to have any congestion. During the eclipse Verizon was 100% unuseable for before during and after the eclipse. Of course that was a one time thing but thats what happens when like 75% of people have the one carrier.

That said, if you travel to really rural areas in WNC then you need Verizon and there can be no argument. One example would be the road between Cullowhee (WCU) and Franklin. If you don't take the highway and you take that back road, you better pray you have Verizon since they will be your only hope if you get into trouble. I totaled my car late at night on that road and if I didn't have that 1 bar of 1x Verizon I could have bled out. Another car did not show up until over an hour later and it was beyond pitch black, I couldnt even find my phone for over 30 mis. The car was still connected (via bluetooth) to the phone and actually called 911 despite being flipped over and smashed in a ditch.
    One reason why Verizon has a big footprint in the Mountains of WNC is because US Cellular it even shows a Native coverage for VZW people they where the only crazy enough company to climb the mountains and mount towers on them I know especially in the Black Mountain region a few of AT&T a few shared but USCC Has one almost on every mountain top I mean even now Sprint have spectacular coverage in the mountains cause of USCC and their Rural Alliance agreement but now S Roams On AT&T LTE in our region so I kinda figured USCC could give AT&T a mutual deal agreement to roam and use their LTE for Voice/Data since almost all voice now runs on LTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks again to everybody that replied to this thread. We are a week into my sister having service and she is very happy with it. She said that so far about 90% of the places she has had to go this past week have been equal or better than Verizon. She had a couple of spots where her phone dropped to 4G but everything still worked just fine so all is good.