Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: opted for the Honor 7X

Device(s)
    Honor 7X / Plantronics ML20 (previous cell LG L35G)
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (formerly AT&T, Alltel, Verizon, and CellularOne)
    Feedback Score

opted for the Honor 7X

After a great deal of online reading / research, I decided to take the plunge with the Huawei Honor 7X. From everything I've seen it looks to be great bang for the buck and a solid fit for a non-gamer, non-heavy streamer, etc. I'm a retiree on Straight Talk so paying $500 or more for a phone doesn't pass my sanity check.

Ordered from the Honor US site with free shipping late Monday. UPS is scheduled to deliver Friday. Not bad at all.

I'm moving from a (gasp) 6+ year old LG L35G running android 2.3.6. The 7X will ship with android 7.0/EMUI 5.1 but the Huawei CEO has confirmed that it will receive android 8 (oreo) with EMUI 8.0 in the near term. Buying an unlocked phone invariably has meant no security or OS upgrades. My antique LG never got squat in terms of updates. Not the case here as the factory has committed to direct support.

Not concerned about the EMUI layer. Only cause for pause for me is the size. I'm moving from a 4.31" x 2.32" x 0.47" phone to a 6.16" x 2.96" x 0.30" unit which will present challenges for carry for this old man. It apparently ships with a clear silicon case in addition to another with some goofy cartoonish artwork. Been doing some looking around and if the supplied cover proves less than satisfactory, the Ouba [Shock Absorption] Air Hybrid Armor Defender Protective Case and Crystal Clear Back Cover for Huawei Honor 7X - Clear for $8 on amazon looks promising. As for carrying, the Nite Ize XXL Hardshell Clip Case looks reasonable for between $8 and $9 again on amazon. It fits the iPhone 7+ so it should also be a fit for the Honor 7X. Not locked into either of these as the market is expanding with new offerings for the 7X. We'll see....

Would welcome comments from others who have the 7X.
    Last edited by bald1; 01-10-2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling fix

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, not that it is something I need or really want, it was just announced that the 7X will receive facial recognition functionality OTA in Q1 2018. This reaffirms the commitment Huawei / Honor has to providing updates to this phone. Works for me!

Feedback Score
    If I did already have a couple of Huawei 6" phablets, I'd get the Honor 7X - congratulations .

If you don't like EMUI, or even if you do, you should try the highly rated Nova Launcher free version from the Play Store. I like it enough to use the Prime version on all my devices.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Appreciate the suggestion about the Nova Launcher. I'll certainly keep that in mind. Which phablet models do you have?

I don't know if many folks comprehend the bang for the buck the 7X offers. Now with face recognition and Oreo/EMUI 8.0 on the horizon for a $200 phone. Amazing!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Got it!

Ported my contacts and calendar through Google. Set up my email accounts, wifi, etc. Started customizing things to suit. HUGE difference between my old LG running android 2.3.6 and this puppy.

The size difference is still taking some adjusting to.
    Name:  O4JxhVA.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  31.5 KB

Feedback Score
    I have a Hi Ascend XT and a Huawei Ascend Mate 2, both 6". Nothing like the 7X though since the XT cost a lot less and the Mate 2 is over 2 years old. Enjoy your 7X

Quote Originally Posted by bald1 View Post
    Appreciate the suggestion about the Nova Launcher. I'll certainly keep that in mind. Which phablet models do you have?

I don't know if many folks comprehend the bang for the buck the 7X offers. Now with face recognition and Oreo/EMUI 8.0 on the horizon for a $200 phone. Amazing!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Sounds like they've given you solid service!

The supplied clear silicone gel case is just fine. Have now switched my thinking from a vertical to horizontal holster case for out and about after seeing/talking to a clerk wearing one for his LG V30. Finding one is the issue. Those made for the iPhone 7+ and Google Pixel XL should also fit the 7X. But I keep seeing comments about belt clip failures. Looking for a durable well crafted number (tan would be nice) that works with a bare or thin gel bumper case. Some are made to work with phones wearing Otterboxes, etc. which is a non-starter for my needs.

Feedback Score
    From everything I've read, you made a great choice with the Honor 7X. I'm getting up in years (79 in a few months) and my phone is a Huawei Mate 9. It's a great phone for a guy like me with failing eyesight and hearing. It's a shame that the politicians (and maybe Apple and Samsung) have discouraged US carrier contracts for Huawei/Honor because the phones are very good and deserve a wider audience.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well you've got me by 8 years or so.

Agreed. Feedback on my choice from everyone, especially younger users, has been uniformly positive.

Still wrestling with a few nits like no option to disable apps... just uninstall.

Feedback Score
    What are some examples of such apps you can't disable?

Well you've got me by 8 years or so.

Agreed. Feedback on my choice from everyone, especially younger users, has been uniformly positive.

Still wrestling with a few nits like no option to disable apps... just uninstall.

Feedback Score
    Also did you install those apps or did they come preinstalled?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    These are all preinstalled and there simply is no option to "disable", only to uninstall.

I did uninstall CNN, the Hotel reservation thing, Facebook, Instagram, and a few others. But some I'd sooner keep but just disable.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like all junk apps that can be reinstalled from Play Store anyway. For those types of junk apps, uninstall is preferable because they still take up space on internal storage if you just disable them.

Hopefully the 7X won't let you disable or install necessary apps .

These are all preinstalled and there simply is no option to "disable", only to uninstall.

I did uninstall CNN and the Hotel reservation thing

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    There's guidance on the net about what NOT to kill off. But I think you're right in the reasoning about no disabling.

On another front I decided that the risks of catching a belt case on you name it were simply too great given the size of this thing. The days of small flip phones on a belt case above either front pocket are long gone.

I've spent literally hours (I'm retired) on the net looking at options. I finally found one that suits me well. https://www.foneleash.com/

Over the years I've used wide neck strap lanyards for a variety of needs ranging from ID cards to small digital cameras, to even key rings. Having a neck lanyard to provide security against drops, damages, or even loss allows me to carry this 6.16 x 2.96 x 0.30 in phone in my shirt pocket despite it extending far out due to its height. I also don't have to risk things from any cumbersome pants pocket carry (no I don't wear cargo jobs).

My 7X fits very securely in the supplied TPU case and I have no reason to believe it'll be any less secure with the Foneleash installed.

Anyhow I expect this solves my carry dilemma as the concept works for me. For others probably not.
    Last edited by bald1; 01-13-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    BTW since there seems to be quite aa lot of discussion on the web about whether or not the 7X has an gyroscope. Using AndroSensor mine shows one present. My 7X indicates the last "patch" was a security one on December 1, 2017. Looking forward to the OS upgrade!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast