Thread: Off topic home internet speeds

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    hey thank you so much for this info!!! it clear alot of misinformation from the rep i talk with...

would LOVE to do fiber, i do ALOT of gaming/streaming/file sharing but at $300 a month and $500 install fee not worth it..wonder if its 1GB up and down?

im renting a modem now which is only 3.0 ill have to get a new modem from them with 3.1

u said its $30 more for the 1GB plan? how much is it to jump on the 400Mbps plan?

whats ur ping on the non fiber 3.1 modem with 1GB plan?

also im the outside of the city prob 25 miles from the city

forgot to say this...the modem must have a phone line..i have tv/phone/internet

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Off topic home internet speeds

hey thank you so much for this info!!! it clear alot of misinformation from the rep i talk with...

would LOVE to do fiber, i do ALOT of gaming/streaming/file sharing but at $300 a month and $500 install fee not worth it..wonder if its 1GB up and down?

im renting a modem now which is only 3.0 ill have to get a new modem from them with 3.1

u said its $30 more for the 1GB plan? how much is it to jump on the 400Mbps plan?

whats ur ping on the non fiber 3.1 modem with 1GB plan?

also im the outside of the city prob 25 miles from the city
    Iím glad my information could help. Comcast was just very poorly trained on the gig plan and no one new what to do. The main internet department would transfer me to the fiber department then to the business Dept and it was just a never ending cycle. Once I got to the right people it was actually very quick. You can also try chat and they may be able to help you as well.

If I remember right blast was 18 extra, extreme was 22 or 24 extra, and gigabit was 30 extra a month. Thatís why I went with the Gigabit plan because it was only 12 more than blast and like 5-6 more than the extreme plan.

The Gigabit pro plan that 300 a month is 2 Gig down and 2 Gig up. IMO I would never get the fiber plan at that price point. First off no computer or device (residential at least) will recognize over 1GB connection anyways and like you said the install and monthly fee is crazy expensive and the only real advantage would be the faster upload speed.

I bought my own modem, I got the Motorola SB8200 (it is a docsis 3.1 modem) for like 160 when it was on sale at Best Buy. If your renting now they would just swap it out with a 3.1 capable modem. Although I donít know what model modem you have now itís likely compatible with the extreme plan but I believe the extreme plan also only has an upload of 10 Mbps which is why I did the gig plan. Lastly I see you wanted a modem with a phone line and the only one of those that I know of that is docsis 3.1 is a Comcast supplied modem so you will have to continue renting.

The ping on my 1 GB plan (itís the docsis 3.1 plan) ranges from 6-12 ms. So they are quite good and overall Iím happy with the service. But like I said the speeds do fluctuate between 600 and 900 Mbps at times but you would only know by running a speedtest. I also herd that before to long Comcast will raise the upload on the gig plan from 35 to 100 Mbps but I did not get any timeframe.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Iím glad my information could help. Comcast was just very poorly trained on the gig plan and no one new what to do. The main internet department would transfer me to the fiber department then to the business Dept and it was just a never ending cycle. Once I got to the right people it was actually very quick. You can also try chat and they may be able to help you as well.

If I remember right blast was 18 extra, extreme was 22 or 24 extra, and gigabit was 30 extra a month. Thatís why I went with the Gigabit plan because it was only 12 more than blast and like 5-6 more than the extreme plan.

The Gigabit pro plan that 300 a month is 2 Gig down and 2 Gig up. IMO I would never get the fiber plan at that price point. First off no computer or device (residential at least) will recognize over 1GB connection anyways and like you said the install and monthly fee is crazy expensive and the only real advantage would be the faster upload speed.

I bought my own modem, I got the Motorola SB8200 (it is a docsis 3.1 modem) for like 160 when it was on sale at Best Buy. If your renting now they would just swap it out with a 3.1 capable modem. Although I donít know what model modem you have now itís likely compatible with the extreme plan but I believe the extreme plan also only has an upload of 10 Mbps which is why I did the gig plan. Lastly I see you wanted a modem with a phone line and the only one of those that I know of that is docsis 3.1 is a Comcast supplied modem so you will have to continue renting.

The ping on my 1 GB plan (itís the docsis 3.1 plan) ranges from 6-12 ms. So they are quite good and overall Iím happy with the service. But like I said the speeds do fluctuate between 600 and 900 Mbps at times but you would only know by running a speedtest. I also herd that before to long Comcast will raise the upload on the gig plan from 35 to 100 Mbps but I did not get any timeframe.

ok so i just got done talking with comcast via online chat.

told the rep that i needed faster internet speeds..rep had a good deal but i dont need home security.

so after some more chatting the rep offer me the 400Mbps for $25 more a month, i remember what u said about $30 for GB plan so i ask for that and the rep said i need a new modem (just going swap it out at the store tomorrow) then rep said itll be $89 for tech but since im already a comcast member rep drop it down to $60...told the rep that i work in IT (which i do) and i can install the modem myself pretty simple task. rep said ok save me $60 and saved $15 for shipping the modem, ill be picking it up tomorrow at some point

thanks again for the info...i would of went with the 400Mbps for $25..extra $5 gets me alomost 5x DL and 3.5x upload..$5 well spent on that

Fiber is the way to go tho...pings are like 2....but 2GB plan is a bit to high

i also read about them upgrading the upload speed...i really hope they do..my 10Mbps upload is killing me...only 1 person can skype at a time..new upload is like 35-40Mbps which is still slow for a GB plan...so after new upload speeds i should be able to get 3 people to skype with out issues....use skype alot to video chat with family and the little ones like to skype the family as well

the rep said that i need the Xb6 modem...i think this is the first time the rep knew what to do...ill chat online all day vs having to talk with them on the phone, its a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!! plus you can save it to protect you from comcast when they do something to ur plan

we need a comcast thread lol

i get sooo much info from this site i love it....thanks again for the info it really help me in alot of ways

EDIT: all the data plans have only a 10Mbps connection upload speed...only time it jump up was on the GB to 35Mbps....hope comcast ups the speeds to that 100Mbps if they can do that ill be very happy customer

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon FiOS base 50/50 tier in NoVA:

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Verizon FiOS base 50/50 tier in NoVA:

damn, nice ping

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    check out this site, shows u all the speeds comcast offers ...notice how the upload speeds are alot faster with "Fiber To The Home"
    that 505/100 plan was looking pretty good!!

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ok so i just got done talking with comcast via online chat.

told the rep that i needed faster internet speeds..rep had a good deal but i dont need home security.

so after some more chatting the rep offer me the 400Mbps for $25 more a month, i remember what u said about $30 for GB plan so i ask for that and the rep said i need a new modem (just going swap it out at the store tomorrow) then rep said itll be $89 for tech but since im already a comcast member rep drop it down to $60...told the rep that i work in IT (which i do) and i can install the modem myself pretty simple task. rep said ok save me $60 and saved $15 for shipping the modem, ill be picking it up tomorrow at some point

thanks again for the info...i would of went with the 400Mbps for $25..extra $5 gets me alomost 5x DL and 3.5x upload..$5 well spent on that

Fiber is the way to go tho...pings are like 2....but 2GB plan is a bit to high

i also read about them upgrading the upload speed...i really hope they do..my 10Mbps upload is killing me...only 1 person can skype at a time..new upload is like 35-40Mbps which is still slow for a GB plan...so after new upload speeds i should be able to get 3 people to skype with out issues....use skype alot to video chat with family and the little ones like to skype the family as well

the rep said that i need the Xb6 modem...i think this is the first time the rep knew what to do...ill chat online all day vs having to talk with them on the phone, its a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!! plus you can save it to protect you from comcast when they do something to ur plan

we need a comcast thread lol

i get sooo much info from this site i love it....thanks again for the info it really help me in alot of ways

EDIT: all the data plans have only a 10Mbps connection upload speed...only time it jump up was on the GB to 35Mbps....hope comcast ups the speeds to that 100Mbps if they can do that ill be very happy customer
    If your gonna go with the Gig plan then yes you need the XB6 modem. Itís the only docsis 3.1 modem they have as of now.

IMO they purposefully cap the uploads at 10 to get people over to the gig plan.

And I did the same thing. The 5 dollar jump from the extreme plan to gig is well worth it.

You still may need a tech visit when all is said and done. They had to install an in-line power signal amplifier and measure the signals but it was only like a 5 minute job. Good luck and I hope it goes smooth getting that gigabit service. I like it, now if they just bump up the upload speeds it would be perfect.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    If your gonna go with the Gig plan then yes you need the XB6 modem. It’s the only docsis 3.1 modem they have as of now.

IMO they purposefully cap the uploads at 10 to get people over to the gig plan.

And I did the same thing. The 5 dollar jump from the extreme plan to gig is well worth it.

You still may need a tech visit when all is said and done. They had to install an in-line power signal amplifier and measure the signals but it was only like a 5 minute job. Good luck and I hope it goes smooth getting that gigabit service. I like it, now if they just bump up the upload speeds it would be perfect.
    is the xb6 that big square speaker looking device that they been showing on tv? when i google it i get mix results being the square box and a netgear modem?

i had a tech out here abot 3 months ago, i was having phone issues...tech said that if i still have issues i might have to install a signal amplifier cause mine was a lil weak on the readings...hope i dont need it i mean would like to try it out but the fee for the tech coming out im trying to avoid the BS fee from comcast

yup thats why they have prices that dont match service...the 10mbps upload is a smack is the face, i mean for the lower speeeds yea ok but when ur on a 200/400/1GB plan

200 should be 30 up

400 should be 55 up

1GB should be 300 up

but yea i really hope they up the upload speeds to that 100....

Feedback Score
    ...i had a tech out here abot 3 months ago, i was having phone issues...tech said that if i still have issues i might have to install a signal amplifier cause mine was a lil weak on the readings...hope i dont need it i mean would like to try it out but the fee for the tech coming out im trying to avoid the BS fee from comcast
    You can check the signal level yourself by logging on the modem. Most are 192.168.100.1

Article with signal level info:

https://pickmymodem.com/signal-level...1-cable-modem/

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You can check the signal level yourself by logging on the modem. Most are 192.168.100.1

Article with signal level info:

https://pickmymodem.com/signal-level...1-cable-modem/

went on that site...im not sure what im looking at on my modem..maybe u can give it a look over and tell me the power levels?

this is on my older arris 3.0 modem----TM822G

im going be leaving here soon to pick up the new modem
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    went on that site...im not sure what im looking at on my modem..maybe u can give it a look over and tell me the power levels?

this is on my older arris 3.0 modem----TM822G

im going be leaving here soon to pick up the new modem
    Downstream: Look at the Power column and SNR. The URL I linked says what they should be.

Your modem is using eight bonded 256QAM channels for downstream (from ISP to you). The signal levels and SNR are good. The errors were all correctable. Depending on how long the modem has been connected to the ISP there are not many errors.

Upstream: Look at the Power column. The URL I linked says what they should be.

Your modem is using four bonded 64QAM channels for upstream (from you to the ISP). The signal level is good.

IMHO, you do not need an amplifier. See what they are on the new modem.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1.5 meg DSL

Device(s)
    Moto Z Force
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    At&t Internet 1000, used to be U-verse Gigapower. Fiber to the house and all for $70 per month. Unlimited data and no charge for the gateway.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    is the xb6 that big square speaker looking device that they been showing on tv? when i google it i get mix results being the square box and a netgear modem?

i had a tech out here abot 3 months ago, i was having phone issues...tech said that if i still have issues i might have to install a signal amplifier cause mine was a lil weak on the readings...hope i dont need it i mean would like to try it out but the fee for the tech coming out im trying to avoid the BS fee from comcast

yup thats why they have prices that dont match service...the 10mbps upload is a smack is the face, i mean for the lower speeeds yea ok but when ur on a 200/400/1GB plan

200 should be 30 up

400 should be 55 up

1GB should be 300 up

but yea i really hope they up the upload speeds to that 100....
    Attachment 156496
    This is the XB6 modem. Itís the modem provided by Comcast for the Docsis 3.1 1 gig service. For what itís worth they have 2 models of this same modem. One made by arris (which uses the puma chip and has documented latency issues) and another model made by Technicolor. The Technicolor one has a Broadcom chip in it so that modem will not be impacted by the puma latency bug so request this one if at all possible if your getting a Comcast modem.

The two models that I know of that you can buy is the Motorola arris SB8200 also uses the Broadcom chip and the Netgear CM1000. I went with the Motorola and I like it.

You will need a Comcast supplied XB6 modem though if you want phone service. Although I have been told it is possible to leave your old Comcast modem that has the phone jack activated with just phone service then buy your own modem for the internet but I canít confirm this.

The supposed tech specs of the XB6 look good on paper but I never had any luck getting good WiFi speeds or coverage out of a Comcast provided router. So I always attach my own WiFi router to the modem. Currently Iím running a Linksys ea9500 WiFi Router with 4x4 MIMO behind the modem. Itís not a bad router and has awesome coverage but itís band steering and load balancing kind of sucks. It will fill up the first 5G band instead distributing devices to both 5G bands evenly. The router I had before was the Nighthawk x6 but a port started to go bad so I replaced it with the Linksys. Iím still in my 2 week period so I may take it back to BB and get the Netgear x6s instead.

You may not have a choice with Comcast installing the signal amplifier (to my knowledge there is no rental fee for the amplifier). The tech said that gig service requires a higher power lever but I have been told so many different things I have no idea what is true or not.

Iím curious to see if when you get your own modem if you also like me will get the gig speeds before the tech comes out to look at the power stuff.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crkeehn View Post
    At&t Internet 1000, used to be U-verse Gigapower. Fiber to the house and all for $70 per month. Unlimited data and no charge for the gateway.
    I hear lots of good stuff about ATT uverse gig. I wish all ISP stayed around that same price point.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast