Thread: How to tell if your SIM card is bad?

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Motorola W490
    Carriers
    T-Mobile (Personal)
    Feedback Score

How to tell if your SIM card is bad?

I just got a 6610 yesterday... and I was comparing it to my brothers 6610, and my reception is defintely worse. I had on average 1-2 bars less than he had everywhere we went.

His sim card is a couple weeks old, but mine is from October 2001 - is it a fair assumption that my sim card is bad?

I called 611 and asked if my SIM card was bad - but they want to charge me $20 - is that standard? Is it possible to get my SIM card for free? I wouldn't want to waste $20 unless I knew for a fact that it was bad.

Thanks

Spac3d

Phones
    G1
    BlackBerry 8320, 8220
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Is you sim eating off the table, or peeing in the house? If so then it is a bad, bad sim card.

Honestly, I would say it's the phone. Now if it "forgot" your phone numbers or the phone won't accept it then I'd say that you need a sim replacement. Yes it's normal to charge $20 for a new sim.
    yep.

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Motorola W490
    Carriers
    T-Mobile (Personal)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ThePhunk
    Is you sim eating off the table, or peeing in the house? If so then it is a bad, bad sim card.

Honestly, I would say it's the phone. Now if it "forgot" your phone numbers or the phone won't accept it then I'd say that you need a sim replacement. Yes it's normal to charge $20 for a new sim.
    Is it common for the same model phone to have different reception as another identical phone?

Phones
    Nokia 6610
    Motorola V60g (stolen)
    Motorola V66
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    O2 UK
    Feedback Score
    When you say reception, do you mean the signal strength or the quality of the sound? On my 6610, I get a lot of static in the background that is very annoying. However I never did get the chance to compare it to another 6610. I love the phone's features, but compared to my V60g the sound is horrible.
    In 1953, it took 27 hours to create one Marshmallow Peep. Today, it takes six minutes.

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Motorola W490
    Carriers
    T-Mobile (Personal)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by AustinPowers
    When you say reception, do you mean the signal strength or the quality of the sound? On my 6610, I get a lot of static in the background that is very annoying. However I never did get the chance to compare it to another 6610. I love the phone's features, but compared to my V60g the sound is horrible.
    Both.

He always has more bars of reception than me ... my reception sounds a little more "muffled" ... it seems like it could even have worse sound quality than my 3390

Phones
    Mine: Nokia 6620, 3650, 5180; Siemens S56
    In the family: Moto v600, v66, MPx200
    Gone: Nokia 6600, 3390, 252; Moto P280, C332, v120, v60, v50; Panasonic TX320; Samsung R225m
    Carriers
    T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    The SIM card in no way is affecting your signal. The card simply identifies you as a subscriber.

As for two identical phones showing different bar strength, check the firmware. Newer firmware can have better RF, but not guaranteed. Audio quality is unlikely to be affected by firmware, though.

@Austin, who mentioned the great V60g voice quality, you're not the only one who noticed. The V60g is truly one of the greats at voice. It'll take a great phone to match it. RF is very good on it too, but not one of the top all time.

Doug
    Last edited by dsr70; 09-14-2003 at 08:47 PM.

Phones
    Nokia 6610
    Motorola V60g (stolen)
    Motorola V66
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    O2 UK
    Feedback Score
    @Austin, who mentioned the great V60g voice quality, you're not the only one who noticed. The V60g is truly one of the greats at voice. It'll take a great phone to match it. RF is very good on it too, but not one of the top all time.
    Yeah, I didn't notice how great it really was until I received my 6610. I had a 3390 before my V66 and V60g, but I can't seem to remember exactly how it sounded. All I know is that I never received any static in the background on my V60g. The only thing I heard was the voice on the other end.

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Motorola W490
    Carriers
    T-Mobile (Personal)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by dsr70
    The SIM card in no way is affecting your signal. The card simply identifies you as a subscriber.

As for two identical phones showing different bar strength, check the firmware. Newer firmware can have better RF, but not guaranteed. Audio quality is unlikely to be affected by firmware, though.
    How can I check the firmware on my 6610?

Phones
    Nokia n80ie (bronze)
    Nokia 6600 (spare)
    Nokia 6610 (int'l roaming)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile,
    Verizon (work)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Spac3d
    How can I check the firmware on my 6610?
    Check the Nokia FAQ