Thread: Roaming Danger in USA

Device(s)
    Siemens M55
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Canada
    Feedback Score

Roaming Danger in USA

So today I talked with a fellow from Future Shop, he was telling me that he warns his customers about roaming in the States and how if you answer an unknown name / unknown number call and are not expecting a call down there, that it's sometimes an answering maching telling you that you've entered ie "Farmer John's" GSM area. Anyway, apparently if you answer one of these calls you can get dinged for ridiculous roaming charges like $5 to $200 just for answering your phone.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't believe anything the guys at that store say. One guy told me that Fido is not a GSM service provider and that GSM is only available in Europe and no other continents. He also told me that Fido's "range" isn't good and that you'll get poor reception most places, including the city! Isn't he supposed to be promoting Fido so he can get a sale?

Most people have call display on their phone anyway and I always look at the number before I answer. If I get strange numbers, especially away from home, I usually let it go to voicemail and check it later.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Metric
    I wouldn't believe anything the guys at that store say. One guy told me that Fido is not a GSM service provider and that GSM is only available in Europe and no other continents. He also told me that Fido's "range" isn't good and that you'll get poor reception most places, including the city! Isn't he supposed to be promoting Fido so he can get a sale?

Most people have call display on their phone anyway and I always look at the number before I answer. If I get strange numbers, especially away from home, I usually let it go to voicemail and check it later.
    Strange i heard the same thing too. GSM in Europe only my butt. Then again ATT sucks.