Thread: what the hell is the difference between locked and unlocked phone?

Phone
    Sidekick Duece
    Carriers
    T-Mo
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

what the hell is the difference between locked and unlocked phone?

whats the difference between a locked and an unlocked phone.. is their a way to unlock a 8260? can some one help?

Phones
    Motorola V60t
    Nokia 8260
    Nokia 3360
    Carriers
    AT&T
    I Meant to say AT&T
    Feedback Score
    a locked phone is a phone sold by a service that can only be used by that service. so, if you bought a locked att phone, it will only work on the att network. it's to prevent people from buying phones and using them on other services.
    i don't know how to unlock a phone. but, remember, when you start a new activation, the cose of a new phone is usually very cheep, to aquire customers. it's worth just buying another phone.
    Was that the $39.99 or the $49.99 calling plan?
    This ain't no swamp meet. I don't care if the people down the street are giving away free sh**.

Phones
    Motorola V60i - Not Broken or Lost Yet!
    Wore my Nokia 5185 in the swimming pool!
    Dropped my Star Tac and broke it!
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

Wink

I hear a rumor that you can get the code from most service providers after you have been with them 6 months or so.

Most cable boxes have somthing called a site code. The ESN (Electonic Serial Number) is required to change this code. When the cable box gets hooked up in a diffrent network it turns into a lump of clay. There are a lot of hacks to bring them back to life. I am sure the same can be done on the phones.

Here is another forum on Nokia.

http://www.american-nokia-tips.com

Keep scanning messages on as many forums as you can and you will find the answer you seek.

Phred

Feedback Score

unlock and locked

The way i usually do it is to give customer service a jingle
    and they take the IMEI code and forward it to tech support who in turn usually calls me back in a couple of days with the unlock code.

But i have also been a subscriber since 96 also, so i dont know if that has anything to do with it or not.