Thread: Cingular's Long Distance provider is Sprint in my Market..

Phone
    Nexus 5, Nexus 7
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Cingular's Long Distance provider is Sprint in my Market..

I was skimming across Cox Telecom website and I found the 1-700-555-4141 phone number. You can call it from any phone and you will receive an automated answer telling you who your long distance carrier is. When I call it from my wireless phone, in my area it happens to be Sprint. Who would have thought?

I am curious to see what other carriers Cingular uses.
    Anybody want to give it a try?

Phone
    whatever you don't have
    Carriers
    Stan & Ed since 1993
    Feedback Score
    are you sure you didn't choose Sprint at some point in time? The default carrier for Cingular is Williams
    Originally posted by Aaron662c
    RF doesnt matter when you have such a cool phone WHO NEEDS An RF SIGNAL ANYWAY!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by usual
    I have no wrong info that I am aware of.

Phone
    Nexus 5, Nexus 7
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Cingular doesn't allow you to choose your long distance provider. It is not an option, nor has it ever been to my knowledge.

Phones
    Samsung S307
    Nokia 6100
    Sony Ericsson T616
    Carriers
    Cingular
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Actually, back in the day, you had a choice.

Originally posted by Coke
    Cingular doesn't allow you to choose your long distance provider. It is not an option, nor has it ever been to my knowledge.

Feedback Score
    Cingular uses Williams who in turn uses a program called "least cost call routing............Basically Cingular LD will go out the least expensive way. Williams leases a lot of space on other providers fiber..............Williams also owns a vast network. Williams was is an Old Energy company who now utilizes its owned and leased pipelines to carry fiber optic cable.
    You may have grabbed a Sprint Route at that particular time. You could try it again and again and get a different provider.

WMB Ticker symbol
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=wmb

stocks doubled since May

Phones
    Nokia 6340i
    Motorola StarTAC (retired)
    Audiovox CDM8500 (backup)
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Virgin Mobile (backup)
    Feedback Score
    Actually, its odd because the contract specifies that you must use Cingular as your long distance provider. Regardless of who it is, I wondered how it could be anyone different or -why- it would be anyone different given that long distance is free with most plans.
    Read the Contract. Reread the Contract.

Phone
    Nexus 5, Nexus 7
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's good info Jax. I was unaware of the existance of Williams Inc. Thanks.

When I called that number and it reported Sprint as the long distance carrier, which is not a mistake, I did deduce that Cingular is probabaly employing least cost call routing. It makes sense. There is nothing sexy about switching a phone call. Most people could care less who it is, as long as it works!

Phone
    LG VX6000
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    BellSouth LD is the carrier of choice in Atlanta (who would have guessed?

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When I dial it from my phone (with or without the leading 1) I get a "your call cannot be completed as dialed" message.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would bet that in the SBC home areas the carrier is SBC long distance. Economy of scale. BellSouth+Cingular or SBC+Cingular means more volume than just BellSouth or SBC alone. More volume=cheaper cost per minute.

Phone
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Cricket (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonT62/R1A UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

According to my contract, Cingular LD is the carrier unless another is offered; but all listed rate plans carry Cingular LD as a condition. Cingular LD then buys from Wiltel (now spun off from Williams); so does SBC LD, and possibly BellSouth LD. Wiltel prefers its own fiber, but may resell others where it has no fiber, such as in Arkansas. That may explain the Sprint recording; SBC telco calling cards prefer Sprint where SBC LD isn't available.

Phones
    Nokia 6340i
    Nokia 3590
    SE T62u
    Carriers
    Cingular Wireless (TDMA, GSM) TDMA RULES!!
    Feedback Score
    Verizon does.....

Originally posted by Coke

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't work on my Verizon service. I get a Verizon Wireless error. Oh well, I am sure it's Verizon LD haha.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Phones
    Nokia 6340i
    Motorola StarTAC (retired)
    Audiovox CDM8500 (backup)
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Virgin Mobile (backup)
    Feedback Score
    I actually asked CS when I had a chance and they said, "Back in the day when we made people pay for LD, they used to have a choice in whom their provider would be, and the clause in the contract is an artifact from that time."

And, I am guessing that was pre-Cingular(sm) days and involves only customers with existing contracts from some of the other providers that Cingular acquired when or since it came into being.
    Last edited by UFO_Alien; 10-15-2003 at 01:53 PM.

Carrier
    Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by UFO_Alien
    I actually asked CS when I had a chance and they said, "Back in the day when we made people pay for LD, they used to have a choice in whom their provider would be, and the clause in the contract is an artifact from that time."

And, I am guessing that was pre-Cingular(sm) days and involves only customers with existing contracts from some of the other providers that Cingular acquired when or since it came into being.
    This is true.....I had BellSouth Mobility back in my analog days (circa '96) and I was given the choice of Long-distance providers. At the time I chose Frontier Communications because they had the best mobile long-distance rates and they charged by the second instead of per minute.

I've always wondered what LD carrier T-Mobile uses, I've tried the 700 number in the past and all I get is a T-Mobile recording saying the number is not valid.

On a side note, I've noticed that all of the BellSouth payphones that I've encountered recently (while walking around downtown Orlando) now list Qwest Communications as the long-distance provider. For the longest time it was AT&T and now its Qwest. Interesting. I wonder if BellSouth long-distance here in FL utilises the Qwest network?

Phones
    Palm Treo 680,
    Sierra AirCard 860,
    Moto L2 & L6, Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    lots of orange,
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by eakenn
    This is true.....I had BellSouth Mobility back in my analog days (circa '96) and I was given the choice of Long-distance providers. At the time I chose Frontier Communications because they had the best mobile long-distance rates and they charged by the second instead of per minute.
    I had LCI...now known as Qwest. (The "original" Qwest bought Litel/LCI in order to quickly expand its network in the East and South, then a couple of years later merged with US West.)
    I've always wondered what LD carrier T-Mobile uses, I've tried the 700 number in the past and all I get is a T-Mobile recording saying the number is not valid.
    In former Powertel markets, it was ITC DeltaCom back in the Powertel days (the two companies had relatively close ties via ITC Holding); I have no idea who other companies now part of T-Mo (Aerial, Omnipoint, DigiPH, the original VS, etc.) used back in the day, or who T-Mo uses now.

Nextel appears to use AT&T along with some internal VoIP; Verizon uses Verizon LD (mostly resold MCI and WilTel, AIUI); who AT&T and SPCS use should be obvious.
    On a side note, I've noticed that all of the BellSouth payphones that I've encountered recently (while walking around downtown Orlando) now list Qwest Communications as the long-distance provider. For the longest time it was AT&T and now its Qwest. Interesting. I wonder if BellSouth long-distance here in FL utilises the Qwest network?
    BellSouth and Qwest have always been fairly friendly, especially on the payphone/public communications/calling card/etc. side of the house.

As for BellSouth LD, the underlying carrier appears to be AT&T, judging from recordings I've gotten from landlines PICed to BS LD. (Of course, I've gotten AT&T LD recordings when using MCI and Sprint, not to mention Qwest, Global Crossing, WilTel, and other smaller carriers...)

-SC
    red: / yellow: / pink: / orange: / Little Rock blue: / Metro: uh, no.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune

Carrier
    Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by roamer1
    I had LCI...now known as Qwest. (The "original" Qwest bought Litel/LCI in order to quickly expand its network in the East and South, then a couple of years later merged with US West.)
    Ahh yes...I remember LCI. And I do remember when Qwest bought up LCI. I've had dealings with both US Worst & Qworst - I used to live in Colorado and US Worst/Qworst was horrible. I know BellSouth is no angel, but BellSouth compared to that ILEC out in CO was/is a godsend.

In former Powertel markets, it was ITC DeltaCom back in the Powertel days (the two companies had relatively close ties via ITC Holding); I have no idea who other companies now part of T-Mo (Aerial, Omnipoint, DigiPH, the original VS, etc.) used back in the day, or who T-Mo uses now.
    I called T-Mo customer care to ask them (out of curiosity) and the CS rep was like "umm, long-distance provider?" - they had to put me on hold to ask someone else about that one and they came back and said "we use our own long-distance service" - last time I checked, T-Mobile does not have a long-distance network setup.

I've also heard of ITC DeltaCom, they have (or alteast used to have) an office in downtown Orlando.

InterMedia is also a large CLEC here in the southeast.

Nextel appears to use AT&T along with some internal VoIP; Verizon uses Verizon LD (mostly resold MCI and WilTel, AIUI); who AT&T and SPCS use should be obvious.
    Yeah...very true.

BellSouth and Qwest have always been fairly friendly, especially on the payphone/public communications/calling card/etc. side of the house.
    That's just scary. BellSouth should just buyout Qworst - that way BellSouth will actually own a long-distance & data network.

As for BellSouth LD, the underlying carrier appears to be AT&T, judging from recordings I've gotten from landlines PICed to BS LD. (Of course, I've gotten AT&T LD recordings when using MCI and Sprint, not to mention Qwest, Global Crossing, WilTel, and other smaller carriers...)
    This is true. A lot of carriers re-sell time on AT&T's network. Especially for international calls. AT&T also buys time on other networks as well - they all ultimately re-sell eachother's networks.