Thread: The first wireless phones in Canada with GPS capability.

Device(s)
    Motorola I880
    Carrier(s)
    City Telus.
    Feedback Score

The first wireless phones in Canada with GPS capability.

New Motorola Mike Phones
    Motorola has introduced four powerful new phones that will be part of TELUS Mobility’s Mike roster this fall. All four models can access the Global Positioning System (GPS), the first wireless phones in Canada with GPS capability.

The new models include the Motorola i730, a compact, Java-enabled flip phone with a high-resolution colour screen that’s aimed at the white-collar business market; Motorola i305, a ruggedized handset that meets military specifications for humidity, rain, shock, vibration and dust; the Motorola i58sr, a ruggedized and Java-enabled phone perfect for mobile fleet use; and the Motorola i205, a compact and economical handset aimed at business users with large and varied workforces.

The Motorola iDEN product line will be extended in 2004 to include phones that offer multimedia messaging, MP3 players and integrated cameras.

Global Positioning System (GPS) Functionality
    The GPS capabilities in new Mike phones provide clients with direct location information and support for new location-based, tracking and mapping services.

“The business applicability of Global Positioning System functionality in our iDEN phones will ultimately reshape how many companies do business,” said Rey Moré, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Motorola Inc. iDEN Subscriber Group. “Where location, timing and service intertwine, our GPS enabled phones will provide intelligent solutions to smart companies.”

Java-enabled phones loaded with applications such as Mobile Resource Management (MRM) will allow clients to effectively manage mobile resources, such as truck fleets or mobile service teams. A standard ‘My Location’ application pre-loaded on Java-enabled Mike phones will offer clients reports on the direction and velocity of their travel.
    John. H.

I do not fear the white van!

[email protected]

Device(s)
    Nokia 6188 v5.46 PRL 26731 w/ Force CDMA800
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I guess this is "true" GPS (satellite based), and not aGPS/gpsONE handsets, correct?

Feedback Score
    That's correct. Must be in an area where there is good GPS signal.