AudioVox-CDM8200
    Nokia 5160
    Carriers
    Fido
    Rogers/CanTel AT&T
    Feedback Score

A 3-watt cell phone?

Greetings,

I heard that old cell phones have 3-watt of power while the newer onces only have like 0.3 watt or 0.2 watt of power.

How does the 'watt' affect the phone's reception?

Phone
    RIM 7250
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Re: A 3-watt cell phone?

Originally posted by godsfantasy
    Greetings,

I heard that old cell phones have 3-watt of power while the newer onces only have like 0.3 watt or 0.2 watt of power.

I believe the higher the watts, the stronger the signal your phone sends out, although it will fry your brain.

Phones
    RIM 7130e
    RIM 7250
    LG 5550/Nokia 6585
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    This is a 3-watt analogue phone

Handheld phones are limited by law to 0.6 watts of analogue output power. Remember, this wattage is only important in analogue areas, which are becoming fewer and far between.

Phones
    Samsung T-130
    Samsung N370
    Samsung 3530
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    How is wattage not important in digital?

And this is why I prefer using the T-130, and the 270 Timeport - stronger signal. Chances are, I'll get hit by a bus someday, so frying my brain is not a big deal. Besides, it helps me relate to customer better that way.
    Dear customer: if stupidity ever reaches $40 a barrel, can I have the drilling rights to your head?

Phones
    Audiovox 8200
    NEC 4500
    Northern Electric 317
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Re: A 3-watt cell phone?

Originally posted by godsfantasy
    Greetings,

You used to be able to buy 3 watt booster kits for rural areas. Some truckers use them. I've got an old NEC 4500 bag phone that is 3 watt. I'm planning on activating it on Rogers PAYG soon and keeping it in the car for *****s and giggles.
    Watts knot write a boot thee weigh eye right? Thus spill cheques feign.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Blackberry Pearl 8130, Blackberry 7250
    Motorola Timeport p8767, Nokia 6185
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by b3ll m0b1l1ty
    How is wattage not important in digital?

And this is why I prefer using the T-130, and the 270 Timeport - stronger signal. Chances are, I'll get hit by a bus someday, so frying my brain is not a big deal. Besides, it helps me relate to customer better that way.
    Digital PCS technology was developed around a 0.6 watt model. Using 3 watts to a digital tower constantly will not improve coverage. Booster kits actually have automatic gain...that's quite different from a simple wattage increase.

Automatic Gain boosters tend to decrease the signal to noise ratio as their gain ramps up. So it will work for some PCS systems, and not others.

I remember there was one system that would measure the sending signal at the cellphone, and boost its receiving gain by 2 times that amount. So if the phone was "straining" to see the tower by raising its level, the booster would raise its level to allow the phone to "hear" the tower better.

and the 0.6 watts only applies to a phone that has tranceiver equipment which is pressed up against the head. That's why boosters are not illegal.
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Phones
    Blackberry 8100 Pearl
    Sony Ericsson W380
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i am not sure if what you mean by your explanation of booster kits, but power booster kits (like the ones you used to be able to get for analog phones) are not available for CDMA phones.
    Sammy740: It's ironically called BlueChips...something Bell isn't.
    Bell's new marketing slogan: Over promise, Under deliver.
    "System Access Fees are charged by all wireless companies to help pay for the network and the ongoing software, technology and other upgrades to that network. Generally, the higher the fee, the greater the opportunity to invest in network quality to enhance your experience. Just one more reason to choose Bell. "

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    No, I'm referring to actual amplifiers that work in conjuncton with the cellphone, not the basic RF Boosters.

Phone
    RIM 7250
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by b3ll m0b1l1ty
    Chances are, I'll get hit by a bus someday, so frying my brain is not a big deal.
    Yes, although frying your brain increases dramatically the chances of you getting hit by a bus. Because you're not thinking straight.

Phones
    BB Style
    HTC Touch Diamond
    HTC Touch
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    CDMA phones will step up their output power as necessary to be able to keep in contact with the tower. I fyou hook up a power amplifier to a CDMA phone, it will continue to increase it's power output until it ends up kicking every other CDMA phone off the network. There is no way to increase the power output of the phone. The best way to increase reception is by using an external antenae. The N370 has amazing reception in fringe areas when using a 5dB gain external antenae (approx 20 miles from tower in 800MHz without dropping to analog)

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Not true... There are CDMA cellular amplifiers that take advantage of the phone turning its power up to compensate for a distant tower. They don't increase wattage, they increase GAIN.... GAIN is not the same as wattage. Think of gain as an input volume control - all you're doing is feeding the phone a hotter signal. It's up to the phone to deal with the lower signal-to-noise ratio that boosting gain on RF signals produces. It's got nothing to do with boosting wattage.

Most CDMA phones are robust enough to handle the decreased S/N Ratio and benefit from a gain boosting amplifier.

Phones
    Blackberry 8100 Pearl
    Sony Ericsson W380
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i have never heard of any such device, and one of our locations has an install bay...i have asked about kits to install for better reception, and the installed said there is no such thing for new digital phones, only and external antenna is available for some models.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Radioframe makes some and there's an israeli company who makes them as well.

http://www.ssbtech.com/ also makes them now apparently.

Phones
    BB Style
    HTC Touch Diamond
    HTC Touch
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Believe me, in Northern Ontario we have seen all sorts of booster kits that claim to work with CDMA. I have never seen one actually work. Usually, the customers phone will ring, and as soon as the answer it, the power steps up until the tower actually shuts down and resets. The only solution I've ever seen is a Motorola 3-watt boost kit for a Star Tac phone. An 8767 Timeport can be programmed that as soon as it is connected to the booster, it switches to analog, and stays in analog until it is removed. Every other system simply fails.

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Deckster
    Believe me, in Northern Ontario we have seen all sorts of booster kits that claim to work with CDMA. I have never seen one actually work. Usually, the customers phone will ring, and as soon as the answer it, the power steps up until the tower actually shuts down and resets. The only solution I've ever seen is a Motorola 3-watt boost kit for a Star Tac phone. An 8767 Timeport can be programmed that as soon as it is connected to the booster, it switches to analog, and stays in analog until it is removed. Every other system simply fails.

It would certainly do this if the amp was fixed at a 3-watt output. But the same would also happen if a 0.6-watt CDMA phone only put out exactly 0.6 watts of power.

If your transmitter has a variable wattage, and "3 watts" is only the maximum, these problems should not occur.

There are a couple of such 3-watt transmitters on the market:

The SmoothTalker (which only amplifies one band):

http://www.susitnaenergy.com/SmoothT...ellular Phones

And the PowerMax:

www.digitalantenna.com/cellamp_DA4000.html

And for those trying to maximize their call quality, your antenna's gain is just as important as your phone's wattage.

The 9dB (5dBd) Gain antennas offered by either company are the best option in flat areas far from cell towers, but are not so good near cell towers or in hilly areas.

The 7dB (3dBd) Gain antenna offered by SmoothTalker is good in distant areas, and also works near cell towers and in hilly country.

People in mountainous areas should probably consider a lower gain antenna for best performance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast