Thread: verizon is the best

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g black 16gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

verizon is the best

let me tell you a story about my experience with verizon wireless :

i had nextel for 2 years and the coverage sucked. after my contract was up, i decided to shop around instead of getting stuck in another contract. i went to a local dealer who sold , voice stream, att , cingular and nextel. i asked what was the best one in the area and the sales person said , voicestream. i bought two voice stream phones for me and my wife. i got her a nokia and i got the samsung n105. i had 3 days to try out the service. i took the phones around the area, and i lost a signal in most every building was in ( including stores like meijers, and target). on the third day i took the phones back and canceled my phone contract. i then decided to try att ( same as cingular tdma), and got the nokia 8390. i also got a verizon phone , the one i currently am using (lg tm510). i took both phones with me for a week. again, in alot of buildings i lost signal with the tdma phone, and had a constant strong signal with verizon. i took the phones upnorth and low and behold , no signal with att and had a good signal with verizon.

so after my experience with nextel, att, voicestream....and verizon, verizon wins hands down in coverage above all the rest. i just though those who have the same problem making a decision on a cell phone would like to have this info.

thanks for your time

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g black 16gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    im in michigan by the way.

Feedback Score

Re: verizon is the best

Originally posted by one028

let me tell you a story about my experience with verizon wireless :

i had nextel for 2 years and the coverage sucked. after my contract was up, i decided to shop around instead of getting stuck in another contract. i went to a local dealer who sold , voice stream, att , cingular and nextel. i asked what was the best one in the area and the sales person said , voicestream. i bought two voice stream phones for me and my wife. i got her a nokia and i got the samsung n105. i had 3 days to try out the service. i took the phones around the area, and i lost a signal in most every building was in ( including stores like meijers, and target). on the third day i took the phones back and canceled my phone contract. i then decided to try att ( same as cingular tdma), and got the nokia 8390. i also got a verizon phone , the one i currently am using (lg tm510). i took both phones with me for a week. again, in alot of buildings i lost signal with the tdma phone, and had a constant strong signal with verizon. i took the phones upnorth and low and behold , no signal with att and had a good signal with verizon.

so after my experience with nextel, att, voicestream....and verizon, verizon wins hands down in coverage above all the rest. i just though those who have the same problem making a decision on a cell phone would like to have this info.

thanks for your time [/B]

Excellent story...........I like it.

I also bought some Voicestream phones and then realized that GSM is a bottom feeder right below IDEN as far as call quality.

1. CDMA = Excellent

2. TDMA = not bad

3. IDEN = not to good, kinda stinks.

4. GSM = stinks, fading, losing words, dropped calls, basically the worst.

Tell me about your LG TM-510, how is the audio clarity on that phone?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g black 16gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    the lg tm-510 is a great phone. i had a problem when i first got it. the phone just locked up on me for no reason. i took it back, got a new one , no problems. the phone clarity is great, i called several people from all the phones i had. most said that when i called from the lg , with verizon, it sounded like i was talking from my home phone. i really like the phone and have no complaints. i take that back, i have one complaint, and im a very picky person. the phone book doesnt put names in alphabetical order. other than that the phone is great.

Device(s)
    Verizon iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Probably the reason why Verizon has better coverage is due to the lower mHz it uses. Any frequency that is lower, ie 800mHz which is what primarily Verizon uses does better penetrating through walls. GSM technology in North America is primarily 1900 mHz and doesn't penetrate walls very well. As compared to TDMA at 800mHz, CDMA is a stronger signal and can penetrate walls better than TDMA.

Device(s)
    Nextel i580
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    When you work in a manufacturing environment, CDMA doesnt penetrate metal walls hardly at all! (specially a v120c) My SunCom TDMA phone does wonders! I've had verizon in Michigan and Tennessee, both with good coverage - but verizon sucked in side buildings in both places. Verizon just sucks, plan and simple. CS is good, but too bad they working with a technology that will be obselete in a few years. TDMA and then GSM! Yeah! <-- personal opinion.

Oh yeah, and if you're wondering why I still have verizon - it's on it's way out... just waiting for the darn contract to expire, since they wont let me out - even though I cant use the damn thing!
    Last edited by Silverado; 04-26-2002 at 10:48 AM.
    Silverado
    If accidently watched, induce vomiting

Device(s)
    ACTIVE: Samsung Blackjack, Sony Ericsson K700i, Siemens C56, Samsung R225M (glove box backup)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Silverado
    Verizon just sucks, plan and simple. CS is good, but too bad they working with a technology that will be obselete in a few years. TDMA and then GSM!
    Uh...CDMA is hardly obsolete....it being upgraded to its third generation in a couple years (2.5G is here already) and, if I'm not mistaken, TDMA needs to upgrade to GSM, then to EDGE, then WCDMA as a final step to get to full 3G.

Just tellin' what I know....
    "If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    -- jimmything421

Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Earth. --Woz. 3.14159:2.0b

"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us when we were kids, everyone would be running around in darkened rooms, munching on magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
    --Unknown

Device(s)
    Nokia
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (current)
    Feedback Score
    GSM has excellent call quality in Europe and in many places in the US, such as Chicago as served by AT&T Wireless. If for example, you can't get good coverage with Voicestream in many areas, then it's not really attributable to the GSM technology itself but on well the carrier has provided the appropriate coverage via cellsite distribution.

Feedback Score
    While sitting in my living room, I made numerous calls on a voicestream phone, a verizon phone, a nextel phone and a cingular phone. I called several friends with all four cell phones back to back. I first called their landlines with all four cells, then I called their cell phone numbers with all four of my test cell phones. Bottom line, I was testing GSM vs CDMA vs IDEN vs TDMA.

GSM was the worst by far. Peoples voices were fading, I was missing words in their sentences, they said my words were strung together. There were many clear exchanges with GSM, but by far GSM failed to be clear all the time. IDEN was okay, TDMA was okay, CDMA was crystal clear. GSM failed miserably. Just because GSM sounded fine 80% of the time was not good enough.

I am not a big fan of IDEN.

TDMA is not the greatest but it penetrates walls better than all the rest. That is why TDMA kicks butt.

The big surprise is that the Verizon CDMA phone had a "signal" that went from 2 bars down to zero bars but even at ZERO bars signal with Verizon, I was still able to have crystal clear conversations. I was able to make one call after another with extremely BAD signal strength.

The Voicestream phone always had 2 bars of signal but the audio was worse than the other three, by a mile.

?
    Last edited by LDT; 04-28-2002 at 12:42 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by LDT
    While sitting in my living room, I made numerous calls on a voicestream phone, a verizon phone, a nextel phone and a cingular phone. I called several friends with all four cell phones back to back. I would call their landlines with all four cells, then I would call their cell phone with all four of my cell phones. Bottom line, I was testing GSM vs CDMA vs IDEN vs TDMA.

GSM was the worst by far. Peoples voices were fading, I was missing words in their sentences, they said my words were strung together. There were many clear exchanges with GSM, but by far GSM failed to be clear all the time. IDEN was okay, TDMA was okay, CDMA was crystal clear. GSM failed miserably. Just because GSM sounded fine 80% of the time was not good enough.

I am not a big fan of IDEN.

TDMA is not the greatest but it penetrates walls better than all the rest.

The surprise is that the Verizon CDMA phone had a signal that went from 2 bars to zero bars but even at ZERO bars signal with Verizon, I was still able to have crystal clear conversations. I was able to make one call after another with extremely bad signal strength.

The Voicestream phone always had 2 bars of signal but the audio was worse than the other three by a mile.
    You were not testing the technology, you were testing those carriers in an area that is important to you, as you should. Results always vary depending on location.

Feedback Score
    If I have 2 bars of signal on my Voicestream phone, and even with those two bars, I am getting bad GSM sound / audio. How many bars of signal does it take to have an error free GSM conversation? Four?

Like I said, I was at zero bars of signal on my Verizon phone and the audio was superior to the other three services that I tested. The sound reproduction was incredible at zero bars of signal.

GSM (2 bars of signal) = crappy sound

CDMA (0 bars of signal) = excellent sound

If it was a matter of location, GSM had the big edge because I was receiving a much stronger signal from Voicestream, than I was receiving from Verizon.

?
    Last edited by LDT; 04-28-2002 at 01:04 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    There are many factors at play here that render the above judgement relatively pointless. The type of phone you were using is vital here in making any sort of accurate analysis of the strength of one carrier vs. another and even more so in one technology vs. another. Signal is displayed and gauged on different phones in different manners...there is no universal bar-for-bar comparison that is applicable in situations such as these. A more accurate measure would be to use field test mode but even then...you are dealing with two different technologies that handle calls in a different manner regardless of the signal strength (or apparent signal strength as the case may be seeing that signal indicators on phones are merely rough guides) -- Verizon does indeed have excellent coverage in many areas but then again so does VoiceStream....giving CDMA credit for your good experiences is a bit overzealous.....GSM is just as effective a technology when properly employed. I am not flaming you at all, merely pointing out that there is more to comparing carriers and technologies than putting two phones side by side and making a call.

Feedback Score
    I was indoors, in my living room. I was getting two bars with the VS GSM phone. The Verizon CDMA phone was getting zero bars. It does not have to be scientific in order to see the simple logic here. I was getting a much stronger signal with VoiceStream than I was with Verizon, yet the call quality was much better with less signal strength with the CDMA phone. Hello?

I think GSM works great if you are OUTDOORS.

I think GSM works great if you are in your car near a major highway.

I think GSM is inferior.

I want my cell to work "no matter where I am." I spend most of my time INDOORS.

If I was to stand outside all day, then GSM might be worth something.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Again, you are being somewhat unscientific about this because you have not considered spectral differences: Voicestream and most American GSM providers for the time being (this will change) use 1900 mhz signal which like Sprint PCS's 1900 mhz CDMA signal is not great at penetrating buildings. Verizon, AT&T and Cingular TDMA all have access to the 800 mhz spectrum which is much better at this and can work often in places where there is no 1900 mhz signal at all. A phone registering 0 bars of signal can still indeed have signal....you would need to have the phone in field test mode in order to check that out. My AT&T TDMA v80t can make calls off of 0-1 bar of signal too but there is indeed some sort of signal there...My Voicestream 3390 makes calls off of 1 bar...the quality is degraded because again, usually I am in my apt which is in a lower part of a condo and therefore is more conducive to blocking out the 1900 mhz signal used by VoiceStream and creating errors or failed calls. The point of the story is that location, phone, technology and frequency all have to be considered here. If you are talking about who is the best provider in your living room, yes maybe Verizon would win but overall? This is still a toss-up. Who knows what the situation could be on your front porch or in your shower?

Feedback Score
    Well, as long as GSM is being broadcast at 1900 mhz, who wants them then? I don't. My TDMA amd CDMA work perfectly indoors, especially my TDMA but my CDMA is by far the clearest. GSM is for landscapers. I am not going outside to make & receive phone calls.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast