Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    Samsung Blackjack (WM6.1 ROM)
    Motorola V3xx (SEEM edits, o
    Carrier
    PacBell Wireless
    Feedback Score

Can I switch SIM cards?

Hey guys -- I've been a Cingular customer for ages and I'm still using (believe it or not) an old 8k SIM. (Pacific Bell card)

And of course it is totally full with 80 phone numbers stored on it which totally sucks.

A while back a friend gave me an old 3390 phone and his 32k SIM. Can I call customer service and switch my service over to his SIM?

This other card is like this:

Pacific Bell
    Wireless
    32k S

When I initially called them (before I remembered I had this extra SIM) they told me I would have to buy a new one at a store -- costing $20-$25!! I think that is rediculous. They should just give me a new card -- I've been a customer for 5 years.

Now, I also remember reading about people having problems with some SIM cards -- having to turn their phones off and on again and crap like that? I've never had that problem with my old card.

One last thing -- does my old card support GPRS? I don't get a "G" on my 3650 -- but then again I don't subscribe to any GPRS service -- even the free one with $0.01/k rates. (Well, $0.005 on promotion.)

What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks

Phones
    Sony W600i
    Nokia 6230B
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Sim cards can only be activated for one telephone number.
    Get one through ebay the cost $5.00.
    Remember the sim card has to be new.. never activated.
    mgfjd

Carriers
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Can I switch SIM cards?

Originally posted by adrianblack
    When I initially called them (before I remembered I had this extra SIM) they told me I would have to buy a new one at a store -- costing $20-$25!! I think that is rediculous. They should just give me a new card -- I've been a customer for 5 years.
    My mom and dad have been customers of Bellsouth for about 30 years and they don't get free things from them just for that.

Phones
    Nokia 3395
    Samsung S307
    Motorola T720
    Carrier
    Cingular Wireless
    Feedback Score
    actually youll run into problems if you ever decide to roam with your current sim (8k). If your travelin and get bumped off the network cingular may not be able to get back on. Call customer service they should be able to issue some type of credit for a new sim card or visit a company store dont see why they would deny upgrading your sim to a new one.....

Phone
    Progressive Black W995a
    Carrier
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I had a similar problem as yours just recently. Like another guy said, when you get out of Cingular's network, you might not even be able to roam.

I don't know if you received something in the mail, but you should've have gotten a notice about a class action lawsuit saying that people that owned these older SIM cards (back when they were still PacBell) were eligible for a either a free upgrade of a newer SIM card, or a $10.00 off coupon to a phone accessory.

When I showed a Cingular employee what SIM card I had, she had to laugh at how outdated that SIM card was. I've since changed it to a newer SIM card and all is working well.

I didn't really have this problem since all of my contacts are saved on the phones memory (SE phones rock!), but it's nice to have a large capacity SIM card.

One thing that you should be aware of is that if you do decide to switch to a newer SIM card, that all of your contacts and SMS' are going to be deleted, so it's a good idea to save them somewhere.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Can I switch SIM cards?

Originally posted by adrianblack
    Hey guys -- I've been a Cingular customer for ages and I'm still using (believe it or not) an old 8k SIM. (Pacific Bell card)

And of course it is totally full with 80 phone numbers stored on it which totally sucks.

A while back a friend gave me an old 3390 phone and his 32k SIM. Can I call customer service and switch my service over to his SIM?

This other card is like this:

Pacific Bell
    Wireless
    32k S

Now, I also remember reading about people having problems with some SIM cards -- having to turn their phones off and on again and crap like that? I've never had that problem with my old card.

One last thing -- does my old card support GPRS? I don't get a "G" on my 3650 -- but then again I don't subscribe to any GPRS service -- even the free one with $0.01/k rates. (Well, $0.005 on promotion.)

What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks
    1) Yes, it is possible to change the phone number of a pre-activated SIM card. mgfjd is wrong. I've changed my phone number several times without changing my SIM card. However, since the SIM card you got from your friends old 3390 isn't activated under your name, I don't know if Cingular will allow you to change the number of that SIM card to the current number associated with your 8k SIM card. Won't hurt to ask though.

2) I got a free SIM card upgrade just by asking. They transferred my existing phone number to the new SIM card within minutes. Before I took out my old SIM card, I copied all the numbers to my phone memory and when I put in the new SIM card, i copied all the number back onto the new one. I did this at a Cingular owned retail store, the people there seem to be more lenient with free things. They've also replaced my 8890 with a new one FOR FREE! TWICE!!!!

3) I think GPRS is a function of the phone, not the SIM card, but I believe there are GPRS settings stored on the SIM card. If your old 8k SIM card can store these settings, there is no reason why GPRS won't work with your 8k SIM card. (I could be wrong though, the GPRS settings might be stored in your phone)
    Last edited by pdp76; 11-20-2003 at 05:45 PM.