Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 8600 - loading ringtones/screen savers via Datacable

Phone
    Audiovox 8600
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by SilverEvoVIII
    Ive tried asking this question in a seperate thread, but to no avail there was no bites. Can you upload an mp3 into this phone and the phone will just encode the file as a midi? if not, where are you guys getting these midi's and or how are you converting/making your own midi's?
    You can also try one of those progs that converts mp3 to midi, but imo it is much easier to just track down a midi of the ringtone you're interested in.

http://www.mp3towav.org/mp3-to-midi.asp

I still can't get my data cable working. Sometimes it says that there is no device connected and sometimes it gives me that memory message. I'm starting to think it's the data cable itself. I know the serial port is fine because I just tried a serial mouse. I feel like I just wasted my money on that damn cable

Phones
    Audiovox CDM-8600/LG TM250
    Samsung SCH-N370
    Kyocera QCP-2035
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    hi all.

this is steve again.

i finally got my data cable (serial - using the DIC-1100). it works. i've gotten bitpim, since gagin doesn't run on 98.

i've been able to get bitpim to show me the root directory, as well as all the subsequent folders and files.

however, i can't seem to locate the folder for the ringtones.

i've read thru the forum, but because of the lack of info regarding bitpim, it's been hard to do very much.

so, if anyone has any info or knows how to use bitpim effective and had the instructions easily on hand, it'd be greatly appreicated.

thanks again.

sincerely,
    steve

Phones
    KRZr k1m
    RAZr V3c
    Samsung SPH-M620
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by daigoh
    hi all.

this is steve again.

i finally got my data cable (serial - using the DIC-1100). it works. i've gotten bitpim, since gagin doesn't run on 98.

i've been able to get bitpim to show me the root directory, as well as all the subsequent folders and files.

however, i can't seem to locate the folder for the ringtones.

i've read thru the forum, but because of the lack of info regarding bitpim, it's been hard to do very much.

so, if anyone has any info or knows how to use bitpim effective and had the instructions easily on hand, it'd be greatly appreicated.

thanks again.

sincerely,
    steve
    dude
    dunno bout the new version but in version 0.62 there is a tab called filesystem...click this tab and there is the filesystem
    you may have to expand the + sign in the listview box
    ringtone folder = user/downloads/ringtones or something like that youll see it
    hope that clears things up for ya abit mind you i cant really think straight once again im so tired....

Phone
    LG6200
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Re: General Question

Originally posted by faastmaan
    Well.I am using winXP Pro
    and have tried bitpim AND gagin.

My problem is, I can see the ringtone on my phone (under download) and can select it, however when the phone rings, I can not HEAR the ringtone - Volume is up all the way...... any ideas??
    I've had that happen a few times, works properly after making the ring shorter/smaller.

Does anyone know how I can make the volume louder? The volume is set to 5 and the uploaded ring tones are not nearly as loud as the pre-installed ones.

Phones
    LG VX10000
    LG VX8100 (retired)
    Audiovox 8600 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    okay. i apologize to all, BUT i am brand new to this cellphone world. I have the 8600 and service through Verizon.

i would LOVE to get new ringtones but am not willing to pay.

so with this phone and verizon service, is it possible to get a data cable to work and load ringtones from the compu?
    or is it only working for those with other carriers?

...and if it does work, what cables are people getting to work? you look on ebay under audiovox cable and there are tons of different ones.

i need help.

thanks all.

Phone
    Audiovox 8600
    Feedback Score
    In ebay your search should do fine....
    the cable you want would be one for the Audiovox 8300 or 8500
    You can find the Mobile Office Kit (MOK 8300 or MOK8500) for about $15-20. That's what I am using.

There IS available an MOK 8600
    cheapest source I have found is www.canyonriver.com
    for about $58 plus shipping....

hope this helps.

Originally posted by credenza
    okay. i apologize to all, BUT i am brand new to this cellphone world. I have the 8600 and service through Verizon.

i would LOVE to get new ringtones but am not willing to pay.

so with this phone and verizon service, is it possible to get a data cable to work and load ringtones from the compu?
    or is it only working for those with other carriers?

...and if it does work, what cables are people getting to work? you look on ebay under audiovox cable and there are tons of different ones.

i need help.

thanks all.

Phone
    Audiovox 8600
    Feedback Score

Phone Book

Ok folks, trying to play risky I looped my phone... LOL
    They , of course, gave me a new one.......

Before looping the phone, I *DID* backup the entire directory
    from the phone to the PC. I can add the phonebook file back onto the phone, but it is not recognized. If I add ONE listing, I can see ONE listing from my old phonebook.

Does anyone know where it stores the info for HOW MANY users are in the phonebook?? I think if I repair that, my phonebook will be back in business.

Thanks........
    Last edited by faastmaan; 01-21-2004 at 07:23 PM.

Phones
    LG Chocolate Touch VX8575
    LG Chocolate VX8550 (retired)
    LG VX4650 (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon (current)
    Alltel (former)
    Feedback Score
    Just got my MOK8300 in the mail today for use with my 8600. I installed USB drivers and installed BitPim, but it doesn't want to pull down anything from the phone. When I tell it to get phone data, here is what I get:

An unexpected exception has occurred.
    Please see the help for details on what to do.

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "gui.pyo", line 197, in run
    File "gui.pyo", line 138, in __call__
    File "gui.pyo", line 1003, in getdata
    File "com_lgvx4400.pyo", line 565, in getringtones
    File "com_lgvx4400.pyo", line 445, in getprettystuff
    File "com_lgvx4400.pyo", line 428, in getindex
    File "com_lgvx4400.pyo", line 689, in getfilecontents
    File "com_lgvx4400.pyo", line 889, in sendbrewcommand
    File "com_lgvx4400.pyo", line 928, in _sendbrewcommand
    BrewNoSuchFileException: No such file

Any ideas on what I should do next? I'm normally adventurous when it comes to troubleshooting computer stuff, but I really don't want to screw up my phone.

Please help...
    Dave

Phones
    LG VX4650 (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon (current)
    Alltel (former)
    Feedback Score
    Just a quick follow-up. After installing GAGIN and patching it with balpatch9, I can get ringtones working, so I could live with that. However, I still can't get BitPim working, and I'm curious as to what it will let me do that GAGIN won't.

Phone
    Audiovox CDM-8600
    Carrier
    Aliant Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ddecjc
    Just got my MOK8300 in the mail today for use with my 8600. I installed USB drivers and installed BitPim, but it doesn't want to pull down anything from the phone. When I tell it to get phone data, here is what I get:

An unexpected exception has occurred.
    Please see the help for details on what to do.
    Bitpim only works with filesystem view when used with the CDM-8600 - you cannot use any other features of Bitpim with this phone. Click the filesystem tab and you should see the contents of your phone (like Gagin).

Phones
    LG VX4650 (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon (current)
    Alltel (former)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by volunteer4gsar
    Bitpim only works with filesystem view when used with the CDM-8600 - you cannot use any other features of Bitpim with this phone. Click the filesystem tab and you should see the contents of your phone (like Gagin).
    Thanks. I knew that I could only work with the file system, but, for some reason I thought I had to use the "Get Phone Data" menu item to get it to connect and give me a file listing. I went back and went straight to the "Filesystem" tab, expanded the tree, and it worked great! Thanks! I'm making a backup of the whole file system as I type this.

Feedback Score

NEW USER EDITABLE FAQ!

All
    After stumbling across the WEALTH of information in this thread, I decided it needed to be written up into a faq.

But, that's a lot of work and I'm not going to ask anyone to do it all by themselves - so everyone can do it together.

I've created a wiki for hacking the audiovox 8600. A wiki is a webpage that uses very simplified formatting and allows anyone to edit it - without logging in and without having to know anything about the server.

Right now the wiki is empty except for a rough outline, but people can start contributing at any time. If you come across something that is wrong, you can change it. If you have something to add, go ahead... it's a lot of fun, and I think we can use it to build a well organized faq pretty quickly.

The wiki is located at:
    http://dumbengineer.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage

please share your knowledge!
    -Adam

ps - for another good example of a wiki, check out http://wikipedia.org, an encyclopedia where anybody can contribute and edit

Phone
    cdm 8600
    Carrier
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Cool , Im getting a 8600 tommorow i could use the info.

Phones
    LG VX4650 (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon (current)
    Alltel (former)
    Feedback Score
    I don't have time to get into the wiki and learn my way around right now, but I wanted to mention that anyone who is interested in updating it should refer to the thread entitled

I killed the Verizon Banner on my CDM8900!

here in this forum. The procedure described in that thread also works for the 8600, and it removes the annoying "Verizon Wireless" banner on both the inside screen and the outer LCD. I did it to my 8600 two days ago, and it worked perfectly!

Phones
    V3c Alltell Flash
    Audiovox 9900 sorry it had to go
    Audiovox 8600
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Did it make the roaming triangel appear on your phone i thought i read somewhere that happened.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast