Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My experience with the Sony Ericsson T616

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down My experience with the Sony Ericsson T616

I currently have the Sony Ericsson T616 (GSM) and live in Nashville, TN. Prior to this phone I had the Nokia 8260 (TDMA). After owning my T616 for a little over a month, I have to say that generally, I am dissapointed. Though the features are good (Bluetooth, camera, form-factor) the call quality and frequency of dropped calls in Nashville and in the suburbs of Nashville have been unacceptable. In short, my Nokia had better performance. Often, my friends complain that when they call me they get busy signals. Recently, my voice echoes when I talk to other people, and in general, I drop calls in and around town. With my Nokia, I dropped calls every once in-awhile, but not this frequently.

In addition to using the T616 for voice, I used it for data using Bluetooth and GPRS to connect to Cingular's internet service. First and foremost, Cingular's customer service was absolutely horrible in assisting me in trying to get the phone to connect to their servers. I was escalated from call center to call center, and in the end, I had to figure it out myself. I actually told *THEM* how to get it to work. Second, the data rate is *VERY* slow, and I wonder out loud if CSD would be faster... They need some serious work in the tech support groups.

Finally, when I tried to purchase the T616 *without a new contract,* they told me that since my old phone was TDMA, I had to get a new contract.... I now think that this was absolutely not necessary (correct me if I'm wrong).

I write this so that those of you out there researching the T616 (and Cingular) may have some user experience to base your decisions off of. Good luck!
    Last edited by youforia; 12-10-2003 at 03:08 PM.

Device(s)
    V600
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular #1 Provider in the US
    Feedback Score
    8650...theres no such thing....

Device(s)
    SE T616
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    i too have a t616, everything seems ok so far...the phone does freeze now and then, the camera isnt great quality, i love the bluetooth though, if cingular would have the SE firmware updates for the phones it would save us a lot of problems

yes cingular and every other gsm provider has data rates that are about the same as you average dial-up modem from home

if you want fast rates, go to sprint or verizon, their 3G networks are extremely fast, i was getting around 70-80kbps using my phone as a modem

but sprint is terrible and thats who i switched from

by the way so far, i have seen CSD to just be a little slower than GPRS, but not much slower

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Whoops

Sorry, I meant 8260.

Device(s)
    T68i
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

What are you looking to buy? I have a SL56, nib, looking to sell. Bonus, I live close by.

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, but I just bought an unlocked Nokia 3595 off ebay.

Device(s)
    T68i
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Good luck with that one!

Device(s)
    Sanyo 6200
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Since you are coming from TDMA, maybe Cingular at your area does not have good GSM network? If that is the case, changing to another GSM may not help you. I just got a T616 for Cingular, and you are correct, Cingular does nothing to help me setup GRPS, but thanks for the WAP post on top in this forum, I set it up myself without any problem. On the other hand, Cingular's T616 is unlocked which is nice. My sister's T616 from AT&T is locked.

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's interesting... I didn't know that Cingular T616's are unlocked... how did you find that out? Have a reference? Yes, this is very true that I may get no better performance with the Nokia. I based my decision to go with the Nokia off of my friend's experience with it in the same areas that I commute in. Also, i've heard that (correct me if I'm wrong) the 3595 has the best reception of Cingular's current offerings... Thoughts anyone?

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by girosc
    Good luck with that one!
    Thanks! I'll post back and let everyone know the results... While I'm on the subject of the 3595, does anyone know if I get an unlocked 3595 and stick the SIM card in it from my T616 if I will need to do anything else to get the 3595 to work? Do I have to activate it too or what? TIA!

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Need
    Since you are coming from TDMA, maybe Cingular at your area does not have good GSM network? If that is the case, changing to another GSM may not help you.
    Interestingly enough, at my house I could not get service with my TDMA phone and with the T616 (GSM) I could get service... perhaps one can conclude from this that all new towers they are adding will be GSM, though they may not have yet updated all TDMA towers to GSM??? Thoughts?

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by youforia
    Thanks! I'll post back and let everyone know the results... While I'm on the subject of the 3595, does anyone know if I get an unlocked 3595 and stick the SIM card in it from my T616 if I will need to do anything else to get the 3595 to work? Do I have to activate it too or what? TIA!
    Answering my own question, yes, according to another forum member all I have to do is stick in the SIM from the T616 and it will work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    You are right, an unlocked GMS phone would work with any GSM SIM from any providers in the US. If you had a triband one, outside of US too.

Device(s)
    SE T616
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    i can confirm too that cingulars T616 do come unlocked...cingular advertises it as a "world phone"

on a sony ericsson phone do this to see if it is locked or not

< * * <

everything is unlocked on T616 from cingular

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by jayselle
    i can confirm too that cingulars T616 do come unlocked...cingular advertises it as a "world phone"

on a sony ericsson phone do this to see if it is locked or not

< * * <

everything is unlocked on T616 from cingular
    Wow! Sure enough, it is! Thanks for the tip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast