Phones
    i860
    i730
    v60
    Carriers
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

Can GPS locate a stolen phone?

Would it be possible for nextel to track a stolen phone by getting it's location by activating the GPS on their end? Can they even get the position of a phone, or is that something that has to be done w/ the handset?

Phones
    SE P900
    I733 (on standby)
    Carriers
    NEXTEL. DONE l
    TRANSIDEN
    Feedback Score
    no, the java app has to be running. I completely disable gps cause i dont like to have that big brother feeling

Carriers
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by question.com
    no, the java app has to be running. I completely disable gps cause i dont like to have that big brother feeling
    where in RSS would i find the option to turn it off?

Phone
    Carrier
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    actually, 911 can find your phone anytime it is turned on, so yes it can find your phone, but it takes someone way up there to do it. So, dont expect to get your phone back unless it's attached to your babys belt. Unless of course you remove it from the codeplug. just switching it to restricted will not do it.

Carriers
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    911 can find phones?

Phone
    Carrier
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    let me qualify that statement, yes and no. If you dial 911 on a gps enabled phone AND are in an area that supports reading the GPS, they will know where the phone (and thus, your mangled carwrecked body) Therefore, the GPS is traceable, IF 911 in that area supports it. If you were to call Nextel, by that same token, and give them a sob story, and you found the right sucker, they would be able to read the GPS off the phone. Mine was read by the rep on 611 while it was in my hand in the store when he was finally able to fix it.

Having it in restricted or permission only is only for java apps, sevice reps, 911 (and I'm sure Big Brother) can see it whenever they want.

Phones
    Nokia N900
    iPhone 4s
    Nokia N900
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    A 3 series SIM phone (Falcon) auto populates an aproximate location through agps. You do not need JAVA. What nextel does now with this data is not known, Pro'lly nothing.
    If a customer asks Nextel to locate their phone Nextel will try to sell them a new service but this will only tell them the last towers and signal strengths recorded. To actually reach out and touch the person using the phone you would need a lot of man power and pro'lly some kind of paper with the DOJ eagle and a couple of signatures on it.

I am not sure if the phone transmits this information by simply being on, or if there has to be some user initiated transmission.
    In any event JAVA is not a requirement.

BTW: Not all 911 systems can find phones and not all phones can be found.

Feedback Score
    Actually any cell phone be tracked if its on its just a matter if they are trying to find you or not.They find out what tower you are closest to and trangulate your position from there.I have been told by a friend in the CHP they can get your location within a thousand yards of your position then they close off the area to find your ***.I am sure the cia ,nsa, & fbi probably have better tech then the chp.So when you rob the 7-11 make sure your phone is turned off

Phones
    Nokia N900
    iPhone 4s
    Nokia N900
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Tracked yes but first you have to identify what phone you're tracking, wait for it to populate, hope that another tower has a signal, visualize, lock on to the heat sig, then fire. .
    Takes a lot of time . Also, cell phones tend to move.

The task of first locating a particular phone would pro'lly take days.

BTW: In theory you can tell where it is raining in a coverage area using info from the tower.
    Last edited by YoDude; 12-18-2003 at 11:39 PM.

Phones
    i730
    v60
    Carriers
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    if you go into the programming information menu

# * menu ->

go down to gps location. it ALWAYS has your current location.

you'll notice it's updated at intervals, whether you do a manual locate pointed at the sky or not.

I'm sure that has something to do with phone locating.

It can't be turned off.

Phones
    Nokia N900
    iPhone 4s
    Nokia N900
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Not by the masses...
    The question was; can they find you?...
    I always know where I am because where ever I go, there I be.

Phone
    I730
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by x0rr0
    if you go into the programming information menu

# * menu ->

go down to gps location. it ALWAYS has your current location.

you'll notice it's updated at intervals, whether you do a manual locate pointed at the sky or not.

I'm sure that has something to do with phone locating.

It can't be turned off.
    Must be specific to your phone, cause the only time mine ever shows a location there is if I have recently done a GPS lookup, otherwise it always shows all 0's

Phones
    i730
    v60
    Carriers
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    weird. maybe certain states have certain systems put in place.

I'm in the detroit area.

Phones
    i730 RWB SPECIAL
    i95 Blue White STOLEN
    Carrier
    SEXTEL
    Feedback Score
    this is going to lead into the insurance fraud thing anywayz... so might as well say it

I'm kinda pissed they didnt take care of this, if they could put an end to the FRAUD where the SIM COuld check for IMEI of a phone that had since been reported STOLEn..... damn.... that'd be so nice and our rates might actually go down! no more fraud

all it would have to do is report the IMEI that hte SIM is IN, and it would have told the server what phone it was REALLY IN, and then if there is a SIM activated in a phone that was ever stolen it would also report and that IMEI if it was ever reported LOST, or on a LOST SIM simultaneously......

no more fraud, they'd save themselves a lot of money, you'd think signal might even fund some of that development

Phones
    Blackberry 8830 World
    i580
    i870
    Carrier
    Sprint Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Part of the $1.55 you pay every month is for E911. Enhanced 911. This will allow location based 911. When you call 911 you will be transmitting your location to them. This is also why all of Nextel's new phones will have GPS functionality built in. The big hurdle in this is the localities upgrading their systems to support the new technology.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast