Thread: Att Prl Update

Phone
    Samsung A610
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Att Prl Update

I just got a new phone and it tends not to be working as well as i would like it to work. I figure the PRL needs to be updated in the phone, but i do not know how to do this on ATT. DOES anyone know how to update this, i mean which number to dial to do it over the air?

~Restrepo30

Phones
    Nokia 6620
    Nokia 6200 (retired)
    Motorola T720 (retired)
    Carrier
    ATTWS
    Feedback Score
    Maybe someone more knowedgable will chime in, but I don't believe ATTWS works with PRL's like your Verizon Wireless phone did. What problems exactly are you trying to correct?

Phone
    Samsung A610
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The phone seemed to have roamed a bit more than it should have. I tend to have more non or poor service than i have in the past. I just wanted to know if there was a way like on Sprint or Verizon's systems to make the phone see its towers, before roaming to another..

Carrier
    Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Restrepo30
    The phone seemed to have roamed a bit more than it should have. I tend to have more non or poor service than i have in the past. I just wanted to know if there was a way like on Sprint or Verizon's systems to make the phone see its towers, before roaming to another..
    I'm going to assume you are using AT&T GSM service. GSM networks do not use PRLs....the roaming information is on the SIM itself. If the provider needs to update that information your phone will receive a SIM Update over the air. There is nothing that you need to do, its all done automatically by the provider when it needs to be done.

Phone
    Samsung A610
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    yeah i have the nokia 6340i for t-mobile, att, and Cingular... they are gait phones that run in both tdma and gsm. i test these phones and the phones all seem to drop more calls and have more ineffective attempts then previous phones i have tested. it just seemed like that it was something with the phones not being properly configured...

anyway, thanks for your assistance guys

~Restrepo30

Phones
    LG 4500
    Kyocera 2135
    Samsung SCH-350
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This thread is similar to one that I was going to post. I am a new AT&T TDMA customer in the Portland, ME area. I am switching from Verizon, and I was able to use *228 to update the phone with the most recent tower data. Is there a similar function for the AT&T service? I am using a Nokia 6560 phone if it matters.

Phone
    Nokia 6340i
    Carrier
    Cingular Wireless
    Feedback Score
    GSM phones automatically update themselves. You can turn messages on so that the phone will alert you with a message when it has been updated on certain phones.

CDMA phones will automatically update themselves as well, but Verizon leaves *228 in there because they don't seem to push the updates as automatically as everyone else. Sprint is very efficient at getting the latest PRLs out.

GSM uses a mechanism similar to a PRL called an IRDB (international roaming database).

I have heard that you can call Cingular customer service and request that they preform a card push to update your IRDB and ATT should be able to do the same. There really isn't a need. Most people never even check that they got a different PRL when they use *228. They just accept the placebo effect that it gives them. Most of the time, people are "updating" to the exact same PRL.