Siemens S 55
    LG VX4400
    LG VX2000
    Carriers
    o2 Deutschland, T-Mobile Deutschland
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Calling from a deactivated phone

I've been wondering this for a while. When you try to make a call from a deactivated Verizon (or Airtouch) phone in the Des Moines MSA (perhaps other places as well), you get the following message:

In a man's voice:
    Welcome to the Verizon Wireless network. You are being routed to Roam Plus service. Please have your credit card ready. If you are Verizon Wireless customer, please hang up and dial *711

Computer Generated:

In a woman's voice:
    Welcome to Wireless Roaming
    To place your call using a telephone calling card, press 1. To call collect, press 2. To use a major credit card, press 3. To place a pre-paid call, press 4. If this is a police or medical emergency, please hang up and dial 911 now.

Now, my question is . . . has anyone made a call using this. If so, what are the rates? I tried calling Verizon, but no one there seemed to have any clue. I went into a store, and the best answer the the rep. could give me was, "Nobody knows because it's never been done before." I finally got fed up with Verizon, and gave up, but I would still like to know. Isn't it illegal to offer telephone service and not publish rates?

Phones
    HTC Incredible (VZW)
    Motorola Droid A855 (VZW)
    BlackBerry Tour 9630 (VZW) (inactive)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless,
    МегаФон Москва (exp.)
    Feedback Score
    When I dial from the unactivated NAM2 on my VZW phone, it says, "Welcome to the American Roaming Network! Please enter the number you wish to call, area code first, on your keypad."

EDIT: *711?!?!?
    "Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." -General John Stark
    "Bring on the trumpets!"

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Is there an existing number in the phone? If so, what is it? Is it a local number?

Why would you want to call from an unassigned number?

Why would it be illegal to not publish rates for something that technically isn't there? You are enlisting an unusual service which goes against everything that has been set up by all wireless providers...that is using a service you have signed up and paid for.

Phones
    Siemens S 55
    LG VX4400
    LG VX2000
    Carriers
    o2 Deutschland, T-Mobile Deutschland
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by SQFreak
    EDIT: *711?!?!?
    Yeah. I was kind of confused, too, but that's what it said.

I called Verizon again today, and they said that you can't make a call from the deactivated phone. So, just to prove them wrong, I tried to make a collect call to my home phone, and denied the charges. The collect call system gave me a rate. $1.99/minute + a connect fee. Yikes. I wonder what the credit card rates are.

Phones
    Nokia 6256i (2)
    Nokia 6030 unlocked (TMO prepaid),
    Audiovox 9500 (3) (w/SPCS roaming PRL, backup handsets)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, SPCS roaming with VZW
    American Roaming Network, A side analog.
    Feedback Score

Re: Calling from a deactivated phone

Originally posted by aaronhurd
    I've been wondering this for a while. When you try to make a call from a deactivated Verizon (or Airtouch) phone in the Des Moines MSA (perhaps other places as well), you get the following message:

In a man's voice:
    Welcome to the Verizon Wireless network. You are being routed to Roam Plus service. Please have your credit card ready. If you are Verizon Wireless customer, please hang up and dial *711

Computer Generated:

In a woman's voice:
    [I]Welcome to Wireless Roaming
    That's interesting. Here in California, Verizon is no longer forwarding calls to the Amercican Roaming Network. It was working a year or so ago. They forwarded the call and the "one moment please, your call is being forwarded" message still plays. But instead of the ARN connection, a "your call can not be completed as dialed" message comes on.

To make a credit card call here, the phone has to be forced to the A side carrier, which is ATT and the handset phone number needs to be reset to 1234567890, the Universal Unactivated Cell Phone Number. Had to reset the SID to 00 as well, or would just get a busy signal. If the old Verizon number is still in the phone, Verizon seems to hold the phone in a "previous subscriber status" for Verizon reactivation, 711.

The American Roaming network is handy to make a credit card call from an unactivated phone or perhaps in an area where there is no Verizon roaming agreements.

When Verizon did forward calls to the American Roaming network, it was nice to be able to make those calls using Verizon digital. Now that forcing to the A side carrier, easily monitored, short battery life calls, using analog, are required, when using a Verizon Analog/CDMA handset.

It's difficult to get a current Auto-A type, service selection phone to get over to the A side network. The older phones have a hard A or B or Auto setting. Any ideas?
    Maybe programming an ATT (or whatever A side) SID and then Home Only setting?

The prices are high, maybe $2 set up $1.50-2 a minute, but if someone only needs to call a tow service every year or two instead of paying for a minimum cell plan it's a good deal, given the major limitations. Like no call back number or changing service or rules.

I suspect when calls are forwarded to the ARN, it's a completely different company and Verizon or ATT may get some payment for carrying the call.
    It's the bottom of the barrel service and the last resort for completing a non emergency call.
    -
    SID
    "This is my cell phone. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

Phones
    Nokia 6256i (2)
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    American Roaming Network - VeriSign Inc
    http://www.verisign.com/telecom/prod...lling/arn.html

American Roaming Network
    "Offer prepaid customers the same convenient calling plans and roaming features that your postpaid customers enjoy. American Roaming Network is a nationwide network providing default roaming services for calls from unregistered wireless phones. As mandated by the FCC, wireless carriers must provide roaming services to all customers. Offer quick credit card payment and collect call processing."

FEATURES AND BENEFITS
    Improved call completion
    Processing at the carrier switch improves default call completion rates and increase revenues."

STEP 1
    Unidentified roamer places call from wireless phone.
    STEP 2
    Local carrier's switch receives call and recognizes it as an unregistered roamer.
    STEP 3
    The local switch sends the call to the VeriSign on-site processor where the call stays while the ARN processor accesses the ARN database via high-speed data links.
    STEP 4
    The ARN database performs velocity checks and fraud mitigation processes.
    STEP 5
    The ARN database performs credit card validation or collect call approval.
    STEP 6
    Once validation is completed, approval for the call is sent back via data links to the VeriSign processor.
    STEP 7
    The call is then sent to the switch where it is connected through the PSTN.

-
    Sid

Phones
    Blackberry 8700c, 7130e
    Motorola V710
    MicroTAC Select 3000e
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Calling from a deactivated phone

Originally posted by sid pearlman
    That's interesting. Here in California, Verizon is no longer forwarding calls to the Amercican Roaming Network.
    Still works in Fresno, or it did when I was plaing around with some analog phones two weeks ago.

Phone
    G1
    Carrier
    tmobile as of december 21st 2006
    Feedback Score
    did anyone try option 1, calling card? If so, how many unit did it use per minute.

Phones
    Nokia 6256i (2)
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by phonesss
    did anyone try option 1, calling card? If so, how many unit did it use per minute.
    I have used my PAC Bell (baby bell) calling card, the kind that comes from the local carrier, tied to a home phone number and a PIN. The one that has the rip off rates! I always figured it was better to have a telephone calling card and PIN overheard by some eavesdropper, on a scanner, while paying for a call on an analog line, rather than a credit card number theft.

I don't think any other kind of prepaid/calling card is going to work, unless there is verifiable billing address and abiltiy to validate among wireline service providers. In the old days wasn't that the only kind of calling cards there were, telco issued?
    -
    Sid

Phones
    Palm Treo 680,
    Sierra AirCard 860,
    Moto L2 & L6, Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    lots of orange,
    Feedback Score
    American Roaming Network - VeriSign Inc
    http://www.verisign.com/telecom/prod...lling/arn.html

American Roaming Network
    "Offer prepaid customers the same convenient calling plans and roaming features that your postpaid customers enjoy
    The other one ("RoamerPlus" aka "Wireless Roaming", "Cellular Express", etc.): http://www.bcgi.net/products/real-time/roamer.asp

They do the same thing, but the two systems are very, very different in one major respect -- how they connect to the carrier's switch.

-SC
    red: / yellow: / pink: / orange: / Little Rock blue: / Metro: uh, no.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune

Phones
    Palm Treo 680,
    Sierra AirCard 860,
    Carriers
    lots of orange,
    Feedback Score
    I have used my PAC Bell (baby bell) calling card, the kind that comes from the local carrier, tied to a home phone number and a PIN.
    As far as ARN and RoamerPlus go, the only calling cards that work are indeed LEC-issued cards (with the notable exception of ALLTEL-issued cards, which ALLTEL won't let other carriers validate for some goofy reason.) RoamerPlus supports billing to some prepaid cell phone accounts as it runs off the same (BCGI) platform that many carriers' (Cingular's TDMA KIC is one, IIRC) prepaid runs off of.

As for credit cards, last I checked neither service accepts Visa cards (Visa doesn't let most phone companies in general take their cards for "calling card" use, but why the unregistered roamer services are lumped in with regular LD carriers doesn't make any sense to me.)

-SC

Phones
    HTC Incredible (VZW)
    Motorola Droid A855 (VZW)
    BlackBerry Tour 9630 (VZW) (inactive)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless,
    МегаФон Москва (exp.)
    Feedback Score
    offtopic: Is Cingular's KIC 100% TDMA? I know KIC is offered here where we've been GSM since the days of BellSouth Mobility DCS.

Phones
    Palm Treo 680,
    Sierra AirCard 860,
    Carriers
    lots of orange,
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by SQFreak
    offtopic: Is Cingular's KIC 100% TDMA? I know KIC is offered here where we've been GSM since the days of BellSouth Mobility DCS.
    AIUI...

- if you're in a market that is TDMA-only or where there is both TDMA and GSM (including all markets where Cingular runs on 850), KIC is TDMA.
    - if you're in a GSM-only market, KIC is GSM.

-SC