Thread: This is why you throw out your Jury Summons

Phones
    Motorola V60i - Not Broken or Lost Yet!
    Wore my Nokia 5185 in the swimming pool!
    Dropped my Star Tac and broke it!
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

This is why you throw out your Jury Summons

One of my co-workers answered the “call to duty” for Jury Duty in Maricopa Country.

He tried everything to be excluded, and sure enough he was picked. This is some kind of “High profile murder case” and they expect it to take at least 6 weeks. I could tell you whom, but I’d rather not. But if you watch the AZ local news you would know.

Here is the catch. Our Employer pays us for jury duty, but only if you have PTO (vacation) to cover it. We get 5 weeks a year. He has only about 2 weeks vacation right now. So, he will get $12 for 4 weeks (or a total of about $240). Keep in mind that he is a single guy with a mortgage.

He probably makes about $280 per day at his job as an engineer. So he stands to loose $5360. :eekl: I got a summons almost on the same day. I threw it away, and the maximum fine is $500.

I have done this many times, and they have never caught up to me. It looks like I made the prudent move.

I am donating some PTO (vacation) time to help him. A few others will also.
    Phredog

"I felt a great disturbance in the force. It felt as if a thousand voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Phone
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1i (HTC Kovsky)
    Carrier
    Rogers (Canada) | Vodaphone (Australia) | M1 (Singapore) | AIS One-2-Call (Thailand) | AT&T (USA)
    Feedback Score
    but dude...i thought by law...if you get called away for jury duty its the employer's responsibilty to make sure your job and pay is secure for whatever duration you are away..

i mean i know nothing about american law...but i thought thats how it was

Phone
    iPhone 16GB Black
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    not even in canada... employers DONT have to pay... but most corporations do for about 30 ddays of duty...

if your employer will not pay then u r omitted from serving...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In Canada, you are required to do jury duty as well. But you can't pay a fine to get out of it. Ignore enough notices, and you'll get arrested yourself.

You get $10 a day, if serving during an actual trial. After a while, you get more. I think after 100 days, you get $100 per day--backdated. In very, very rare instances, you can plead poverty and be excused, but really only if you are supporting other people, none of whom works.

I was called once, showed up, waited; but the jury was empanelled before they got to me; in other words, they selected 12 of the first 25, with either the defending lawyer or crown (it's Canada; you'd call them the prosecuting attorney south of the 49th) being able to excuse prospective jurors. I would have been about 30th from a pool of 75. Once not selected, I returned to another pool. But after 3 days, wasn't called again, and got sent home. Not selected, not even $10/3 days: nada.

It's hard to sympathize with someone who makes $280 per day and won't help out when called upon. They call it "duty" for a reason. Then again, some employers reimburse in full, no matter how long the trial. And that would be in addition to the whopping $10 per day.

HowEver

. . . . .

Phones
    Nokia 3589i
    Cans and string (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I served on a triple defendant jury (USA) which took 3 weeks. Great life experience. Cost me a few bucks, but it was worth it. The cost of being American. Ask not what your country can do for you...

Phones
    Motorola V60i - Not Broken or Lost Yet!
    Wore my Nokia 5185 in the swimming pool!
    Dropped my Star Tac and broke it!
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    We found out that he will get paid if he does the whole thing. The wording in the employee manual was not too clear on that. So the good news is he will get paid. He was sweating that one for a while.

Phones
    Nexus 4
    Nexus 4
    HTC Glacier
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm glad that I was never chosen to do jury duty.

Carriers
    Cingular
    100% GSM, 100% of the time
    Feedback Score
    My dad told the court system in my city to F off because he said that he cannot afford to be stuck on trial. He is a doctor and his time comes at a very high price. He has not been called since.
    Follow me on twitter

I don't fear god. If it existed, it would fear me.

eimajuno's HoFo Feedback 100%+

Feedback Score
    You don't have to go overboard with everything dude, calm down. You right a damn essay in every post.

Originally posted by HowEver
    In Canada, you are required to do jury duty as well. But you can't pay a fine to get out of it. Ignore enough notices, and you'll get arrested yourself.

You get $10 a day, if serving during an actual trial. After a while, you get more. I think after 100 days, you get $100 per day--backdated. In very, very rare instances, you can plead poverty and be excused, but really only if you are supporting other people, none of whom works.

I was called once, showed up, waited; but the jury was empanelled before they got to me; in other words, they selected 12 of the first 25, with either the defending lawyer or crown (it's Canada; you'd call them the prosecuting attorney south of the 49th) being able to excuse prospective jurors. I would have been about 30th from a pool of 75. Once not selected, I returned to another pool. But after 3 days, wasn't called again, and got sent home. Not selected, not even $10/3 days: nada.

It's hard to sympathize with someone who makes $280 per day and won't help out when called upon. They call it "duty" for a reason. Then again, some employers reimburse in full, no matter how long the trial. And that would be in addition to the whopping $10 per day.

HowEver

. . . . .