Thread: AT&T Wireless layoffs

Phones
    nokia 7210
    nokia 8260
    Carriers
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score

AT&T Wireless layoffs

Maybe this has already been reported here (sorry if it has but i didn't see it and search didn't work), but AT&T is laying off an unknown number of employees, though the article speculates 1/3 of the 3,000 in IT.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ployees11.html

there's the link...i won't paste the whole article as news stories are copyrighted.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    Solavei
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's sad, but they won't need those jobs once Cingular buys them out.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Phones
    Mototola V600
    Motorola V400
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Well, the ones in higher places and with some job security are the ones being interviewed by Cingular managers...

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by bobolito
    It's sad, but they won't need those jobs once Cingular buys them out.
    You are getting way ahead of yourself there, guy. There is still a couple more days of bidding left to go. There is no guarantee that Cingular will get anything.

Feedback Score
    It's not a done deal yet Bobolito, whilst Cingular may be able to wring out more cost savings in synergies, Vodafone has more financial muscle, it could go either way.

Phones
    Motorola W755 (purple)
    Samsung Flipshot
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Blazers4ever
    You are getting way ahead of yourself there, guy. There is still a couple more days of bidding left to go. There is no guarantee that Cingular will get anything.
    Yes...this is true...but recent word has it that Vodaphone and Cingular are each talking about roughly 30 billion respectively (give or take) all things being equal, AT&T has to know that a sale to Cingular will sail through the Feds much quicker and easier than a sale to Voda. That being the case, it is my guess that AT&T will take the "easier path" and sell to Cingular. But either way, the fact that layoffs are coming is a loud bell sounding that they HAVE decided they will sell to someone..whoever that is.

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Old news. At&t IT employees have known they were going to be laid off for at least four months now.

The only real affect this has on at&t is morale. Most store reps I talk to say they are pretty secure that their job wont be going anywhere. I don't know what other department think so they might be insecure.

Phones
    Apple Iphone
    Moto Q
    RAZR
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    How the mighty have fallen. ATT has so much potential with all of their spectrum and existing 850Mhz coverage. Bummer for those getting laid off.
    Rasputinj

My favorite quadrate bamboo fly rod builder D.E. Daniel Hollowbuilt Quad Fly Rods

Feedback Score
    haha how wrong you are. The layoffs have been planned since beginning of 2003. Overall company restructuring to save costs. Some things being outsourced and IT is one of them. customer care/stores are staying as is. 2003 was key about cutting costs and working on the companies books. it has nothing to do with a buyout. BTW if this many companies want att is shows ow good of a company they are. Their books are awesome. They can regain customers in a minute if they felt like it. the average consumer just wants minutes they give more theyll gain a bunch of people.

Originally posted by shilton
    Yes...this is true...but recent word has it that Vodaphone and Cingular are each talking about roughly 30 billion respectively (give or take) all things being equal, AT&T has to know that a sale to Cingular will sail through the Feds much quicker and easier than a sale to Voda. That being the case, it is my guess that AT&T will take the "easier path" and sell to Cingular. But either way, the fact that layoffs are coming is a loud bell sounding that they HAVE decided they will sell to someone..whoever that is.

Phone
    Motorola
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The average consumer wants a reliable service. Something that ATTWS has been lacking for a couple of years now. The article referenced here vendicates people like me who have been saying for months that ATTWS is a completely different company than it was a couple years ago. They are worse than Sprint used to be.
    The sales people are not secure at all, because all the domestic carriers have their own retail venues. The only time they will be secure is if Vodaphone or NTT buys ATT which I find highly unlikely. I believe that Cingular will buy ATT and they will layoff a lot of people unfortunately because they have established their retail, IT, and engineering channels.
    As far ATTWS could gain customers back if they felt like it, this is such a naive statement. It will takes months even a year to ATTWS to fix all the holes they did on their network by taking Nokia at face value and doing that horrible overlay job they did in major markets. So, bottom line the poor ATTWS employees are in for a rollercoaster ride one way or the other.

Phone
    Moto V505
    Carriers
    AWS
    Tmo
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by atheodossis
    The average consumer wants a reliable service. Something that ATTWS has been lacking for a couple of years now.
    You must be referring to AWS's two year old GSM network.

Last time I checked, their TDMA network was still solid.

Though more and more customers want the GSM offerings.
    Last edited by ReservoirDog; 02-12-2004 at 02:41 PM.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Is there something I'm missing? I don't see how buying AT&T will help Cingular. They both offer the same services, GSM and old TDMA. Given, they offer different plans and different phones. All Cingular gets its more customers and a huge mess of integrating the two companies. Talk about some lost revenue for at least one year.

Now, I do see an advantage for a non-US or non-GSM buying them. They will be able to add new users and expand on their coverage area and services. A foreign company will be able to offer better roaming in the US for its current customers. It'll also give them a good footprint.

As for the non-GSM carriers they can get in on the GSM revolution. There are a lot of things GSM is better at, global roaming is the HUGE one. Anyway, if I'm missing something about all of this, please let me know.

Joe

Phone
    Motorola
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Reserveoir.............
    The TDMA network is not how you remember it. Los Angeles, Chicago, Colorado, Atlanta have taken a major dive since the GSM inception. Voice quality is horrible, disconnects common place, and Customer Care could care less

Quacke................
    You are missing a major point, Cingular does not want ATTWS because of their network. Cingular wants ATTWS to grab all the subscribers at once, and acquire the spectrum without having to go through the FCC. Also, as part of the acquisition, Cingular acquires all the cell sites of ATTWS which do not always coincide with Cingular's site. The ATTWS stands for an instant improvement, since we will be able to "roam" to the much stronger Cingular network. Cingular gains immediate access to GSM areas that is offering TDMA only having the ability to let its California based customers to roam to the same network when in other areas. Lastly, Cingular will have one less competitor to content with due to the consolidation. Lastly, Cingular becomes the #1 provider, surpassing Verizon.

And lastly my most favorite is Zeglis gets fired for screwing up the best cell company that was out there after Nextel.

My prediction is Cingular will get ATTWS, and then Verizon in a panic will turn around and engulf Sprint, US Wireless, and Cricket

Then, Deutche Telecom not wanting to be a minor player might go knocking on Nextel's door for a merger/partnership of T-Mobile and Nextel.

We shall see

Phones
    Motorola W755 (purple)
    Samsung Flipshot
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by cmendenh
    haha how wrong you are. The layoffs have been planned since beginning of 2003. Overall company restructuring to save costs. Some things being outsourced and IT is one of them. customer care/stores are staying as is. 2003 was key about cutting costs and working on the companies books. it has nothing to do with a buyout. BTW if this many companies want att is shows ow good of a company they are. Their books are awesome. They can regain customers in a minute if they felt like it. the average consumer just wants minutes they give more theyll gain a bunch of people.
    Not 100% sure I agree with you. Once a company has a BAD NAME, its hard to win anyone back. People tend to remember bad experiences. For example, I had trouble once with AT&T cable. Even though its not tied to AWS, I was very reluctant to try AWS since it has the AT&T name tied in with it. If AT&T could "fix things" just like that...they would have. My guess is that the downsizing has been in the works to make them more attractive for a suitor. Cingular had courted them before, as had a few others (although not very seriously) but they knew they could be sold if they wanted to. I think AT&T has known for a long time that they wanted to put themselves on the market.

Phones
    Motorola W755 (purple)
    Samsung Flipshot
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Quake97
    Is there something I'm missing? I don't see how buying AT&T will help Cingular. They both offer the same services, GSM and old TDMA. Given, they offer different plans and different phones. All Cingular gets its more customers and a huge mess of integrating the two companies. Talk about some lost revenue for at least one year.

Joe
    Well...TDMA is on its way out eventually as Cingular, AT&T, T-Mobile and others have decided to make GSM their standard, so TDMA sites will be converted to GSM, plus Cingular gets sites in areas where they do not have any now. For example, in my hometown, State College, PA AT&T has been around longer and as such has the superior network. If Cingular buys them out, suddenly they have a strong network where they did not before. Far easier to integrate the 2 companies than to build out new GSM sites in all the areas with weak signals. Only 1 combined company can do this (whether its AWS, Cingular or T-Mobile)...Somebody has to buy somebody to make GSM the powerhouse it oughta be in the USA. If Voda or someone else gets AWS, then they are stuck in the same rut that Cingular is in now...the need to buildout and FAST!

The Cingular deal is a win-win for Consumers NOW. If VODA gets AWS, it will be several years before the advantages are seen, as the network will have to be built out and improved a great deal first.
    Last edited by shilton; 02-12-2004 at 04:29 PM.