Thread: Establish service without Social Security Number?

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question Establish service without Social Security Number?

I'd like to switch my service to AT&T Wireless, but would prefer not to provide my Social Security Number. It's not a credit issue, but I have a strict policy of only giving my SS# to my bank and employer to lower the possibility of identity theft. I'd be happy to have my bills automatically charged to my American Express card. I could also put up a deposit, if necessary.

I'm planning on getting 4 phones on a family plan, and using my employer's sponsorship FAN.

Any thoughts?

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    well for that.. it's called GoPhone.. anywhere you go you'll have to give your SS# for credit check... unless you want prepaid. They not gonna just hand out phones to you without 1 knowing you are who you say you are and 2 not knowing how likely you are to pay them for the services you use.

Anyone can hand someone a credit card and say charge it.
    - yeah, don't listen to that guy!

Phone
    iPhone 3G 16gb - Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    No social, no service. Go Phone is your only other option...why are people so paranoid anyway?

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    GoPhone isn't really an option, as it's much more expensive. Some companies can establish post-paid service without a Social Security number, (T-Mobile wanted a $600 deposit, for instance).

I actually established post-paid service with AT&T Wireless without a SS# or a deposit about 4 years ago, but I'm sure the policies have probably changed since then.

Phones
    3G iPhone
    HTC Touch Dual
    Carriers
    At&t
    AIS Thailand
    Feedback Score
    Where are you located? There is a way around this but I would need you to come into the store.

Feedback Score
    Well if you dont min the time and paperwork you can apply to the IRS for EIN# and give people that.Or you could give them your number get the account then put the lockdown on your credit by alocking your credit report it is like 100 bucks a year to do all three credit agencys but unless you unlock your credit report no one and i mean no one can get credit with your ss#

Phone
    Don't You Wish You Knew
    Feedback Score

Re: Establish service without Social Security Number?

Originally posted by MyPCS
    I'd like to switch my service to AT&T Wireless, but would prefer not to provide my Social Security Number. It's not a credit issue, but I have a strict policy of only giving my SS# to my bank and employer to lower the possibility of identity theft. I'd be happy to have my bills automatically charged to my American Express card. I could also put up a deposit, if necessary.

I'm planning on getting 4 phones on a family plan, and using my employer's sponsorship FAN.

Any thoughts?
    Policy says you don't have to provide your social but.............

IT may take several days to perform a credit check. And you may have to provide other forms of identification. This was policy like 6 months ago. I don't think its change. Some reps don't know about this. So you may try a couple of different reps. But technically you do not have to provide our SS# to perform a credit check......

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    If you don't mind a deposit then you could get an account with an $800 deposit. You would get that back at the end of 12 months.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Establish service without Social Security Number?

Originally posted by notevenreal123
    Policy says you don't have to provide your social but............. IT may take several days to perform a credit check. But technically you do not have to provide our SS# to perform a credit check......
    That makes sense, but the credit bureau would just provide the SSN to AT&T as part of the credit check. I guess that's OK, as long as it stays out of my account.

Originally posted by ivwshane
    If you don't mind a deposit then you could get an account with an $800 deposit. You would get that back at the end of 12 months.
    An $800 deposit is fine with me, as long as it's not $800 for each of the extra add-a-line phones (which would total $3200).

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Yes it would be per line.

I can understand why you would be nervous but if you go to an at&t corporate store they usually give back your information to you.

I've personally never had any problem or known anyone that had a problem when they went to a direct store.

Phone
    Don't You Wish You Knew
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Establish service without Social Security Number?

Originally posted by MyPCS
    That makes sense, but the credit bureau would just provide the SSN to AT&T as part of the credit check. I guess that's OK, as long as it stays out of my account.

An $800 deposit is fine with me, as long as it's not $800 for each of the extra add-a-line phones (which would total $3200).
    If your credit is okay you will not have to pay a deposit. Again because you are not providing a social it may take longer to do the credit check. Especially if you have a really common name. But just because you are not providing a social does not mean you will pay a deposit. Again I know because I helped a customer like yourself about 6 months ago............

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Re: Establish service without Social Security Number?

Originally posted by notevenreal123
    I know because I helped a customer like yourself about 6 months ago............
    It's great to know that I'm not the only paranoid nut who guards my SSN with a vengeance!

Phone
    Feedback Score
    I would sign up with notevenreal123 then since he seems to know how to do it.