Phones
    iPhone 4
    Nokia E52 (intl/bkup)
    Carriers
    AT&T (us)
    FONIC (de)
    Feedback Score

Free T226 for T68i customers?

My fiance is a GoPhone customer using my old T68i. ATT sent her a postcard telling her they're sending her a new T226 free of charge in the next few weeks.

My guess is that ATT is about to turn on or has turned on GSM 850 in my area and wants to phase out the T68's. I find it surprising, however, that they are sending a free phone to a GoPhone customer.

The T226 looks like a stripped down 850/1900 version of the T68. Very disappointing if you use the advanced features of the T68.

They also indicate in the postcard that they're including a return kit for the T68. I'm sorry but they won't be getting my T68 back. Its unlocked and works like a champ overseas.

Has anyone else seen this?

Phone
    Samsung D807x
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Its something ATT is doing without extension or anything as the T68 doesnt have the 850 band so the 226 does have it. Free replacement pretty much. Not forceing ya a free phone if you dont want it.

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    I've heard about it but I didn't know they were doing this with gophones.

They are doing it to get rid of the non 850 phones.

Phone
    HTC Hero
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I just signed up for AT&T within the last month, I got a new T616. But I took my sisters old T68i and used it for a day just for the hell of it. Now today I got a postcard in the mail saying they were going to send me a new T226. How did they even know I had a T68i? Dont really think I have a need for it, but I guess I will take it.

Phones
    Apple iPhone (8GB)
    Nokia 3600 (retired)
    SE T300 (retired)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    But I took my sisters old T68i and used it for a day just for the hell of it. Now today I got a postcard in the mail saying they were going to send me a new T226. How did they even know I had a T68i?
    That 1 day you used the T68i, the IMEI # of it was transmitted to AT&T along with your SIM #. It is kind of wierd that you only used it 1 day and they're sending you a postcard to trade it in, especially since they know every other day you use a T616.

Phone
    HTC Hero
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I actaully bought a gophone to test the reception in my area before I ported over my #. I think I used it on that account, I dont even think it was for a full day. I canceled that gophone account yesterday, I wonder if they will still send it.

Phones
    BlackBerry Bold
    Cingular 3125
    SMT 5600
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Free T226 for T68i customers?

Originally posted by slykens
    My fiance is a GoPhone customer using my old T68i. ATT sent her a postcard telling her they're sending her a new T226 free of charge in the next few weeks.

My guess is that ATT is about to turn on or has turned on GSM 850 in my area and wants to phase out the T68's. I find it surprising, however, that they are sending a free phone to a GoPhone customer.

The T226 looks like a stripped down 850/1900 version of the T68. Very disappointing if you use the advanced features of the T68.

They also indicate in the postcard that they're including a return kit for the T68. I'm sorry but they won't be getting my T68 back. Its unlocked and works like a champ overseas.

Has anyone else seen this?
    Just got the same post card today. I was thinking the same thing about the features. I don't know much about the T226, but I think it doesn't have the features the T68 have. And I notice that they said T68 and not T68i which I believe has the advanced features.

Carriers
    Boost Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Dm112084
    That 1 day you used the T68i, the IMEI # of it was transmitted to AT&T along with your SIM #. It is kind of wierd that you only used it 1 day and they're sending you a postcard to trade it in, especially since they know every other day you use a T616.
    That is the beauty of automated systems
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    News - Phone Encyclopedia - Reviews - Nerds

ChristopherPrice.net | iConsole

Phone
    Palm Centro
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Free T226 for T68i customers?

Originally posted by antlive
    Just got the same post card today. I was thinking the same thing about the features. I don't know much about the T226, but I think it doesn't have the features the T68 have. And I notice that they said T68 and not T68i which I believe has the advanced features.
    Naw, the T68i and T68 have basically the same features. I *think* the T68i somehow has more usable memory, and MMS? I think that's it...

Carriers
    Boost Mobile,
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Re: Free T226 for T68i customers?

Originally posted by hawk1500
    Naw, the T68i and T68 have basically the same features. I *think* the T68i somehow has more usable memory, and MMS? I think that's it...
    The T68 and T68i have identical hardware (well, almost, the firmware is a few bytes different on the T68). Basically, a T68 with the latest firmware is the same as a T68i.

Originally, SE wanted people to have to buy a T68i, but they "forgot" that they promised to upgrade everyone that had a T68 to T68i firmware.

Feedback Score
    what if i don't want to send my t68i back? just like slykens said, i am fine with my unlocked t68i and saw no reason to change the phone just because the t226 has 512 color screen and polyphonic tunes.

do i just refuse the t226? accept it and have to return it?

Carriers
    Boost Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ckshen
    what if i don't want to send my t68i back? just like slykens said, i am fine with my unlocked t68i and saw no reason to change the phone just because the t226 has 512 color screen and polyphonic tunes.
    It's not just because of the phone's features, it's because AT&T now has a significant portion of the network on the 850 MHz band, and the T68i can't use it. They want customers to be able to access these towers, and thus the upgrade program.

It's not right for everyone, but if you don't use BT or IR then it's right for most.

Phone
    Palm Centro
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yep, you just basically have to weigh these differences:

T68/i
    Bluetooth (and every perk that comes with it)
    IR
    Profiles

vs.

T226
    512 colors (instead of 256, didn't really make a difference for me)
    Polyphonic ringtones (aka midi) and also ability to use whatever you record as ringtones as well
    GSM 850 (this is the most important thing I think, since your coverage should improve dramatically with the ability to use the 850 band as well), though you can't use it in Europe, Asia, etc. anymore.

Everything else is pretty similar or minor, I think. Mophun games on the T226, a little smaller...? No network LED, etc.

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget the t226 doesn't have voice activated dialing I'd take it if it did.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, I dug up my T68i, put my SIM in it.. Let's see if SE sends me a 226 for me to play around with. I made an obligatory phone call on it just to make sure the network knows I'm using it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast