Thread: Message is not delivered: General problems

Phone
    LG vx8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Message is not delivered: General problems

About 25% of the time that I send a text message on my VX4400, I get:
    Message failed. Would you like to retry? (Yes/No)
    Yes: Message is not delievered: General problems

If I go into the service menu and force it to P_REV_3, the message will usually send without issue. However, it's annoying to have to do this.

I called CS a few months ago about the problem and they said to upgrade the software on my phone. I went into the VZW store and had them flash it to V8 (the latest they had). Unfortunately, this didn't fix the problem.

Here's another thing: it seems to only fail when I'm on this one tower by my house. I've talked to 2 of my friends who are on the same tower and they have the same problem.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I fear that if I call CS again, they will just blow me off. How do I get them to recognize that this is most likely a tower issue and get them to fix it?

Thanks for reading this far!

Phone
    LG vx8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    anyone...anyone...bueller....bueller. maybe ill have to give up and call cs.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy SII (wife's)
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    My 4500 has been doing the same thing for the past couple weeks. I think it's just the messaging server that sucks...not the service per se.

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola SLVR L7
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My VX3100 sends txt messages without a problem, or so it seems... about 25% of the time the recipient never gets the message. I'm sending to my girlfriend's VZW V60i, which recieved every message I've sent with other phones. I have no idea what's up with it. The only thing I could think is that this is the only phone that's 1x.

Feedback Score
    or your girlfriend doesnt like what your sending her so she doesnt get it

Phone
    Audiovox 8900
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've been having a lot of problems with pix messaging. My wife and I both have an Audiovox 8900 (love the phone by the way). Both phones are up-to-date on firmware and software. When she's out of town (and we are both in a 1x area) she doesn't receive my pix messages and I can't get her's to me?!! Called CS and they were useless. They had me send a pix message to myself and it worked fine. I sent her a text message and she got it fine. she sent me a text message (not long at all) and it came in three parts?!! When we try to "Get" the pix messages that we send each other it looks like it's going to download then says message not available. Now here's another weird thing. Last time she was out of town (Phoenix) and sent me some pix messages I get the same thing. But as soon as she gets back to town, they come flooding in to me and I get them all. So what's up with that? I mentioned that to the three CS people I spoke with and no one could understand it.

Phone
    LG vx8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's another thing. To attempt to solve the problem, they have me send messages to myself, and of course the problem doesn't happen when I'm on the phone with them. Then it makes them think nothing is wrong....grrr.

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Motorola SLVR L7
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    J3ff, I suspected this myself... so I took her phone and did some investigation of my own. Sure enough when I wasn't at her house or my house, about 25% of the time text messages to AND from the LG phone weren't coming through. The V60i was sending messages that the LG was never getting. This makes me think it might be a network problem and not necessarily a handset issue. Obviously whenever I creep onto Extended Network (Sprint PCS in this area) I expect that the txt'ing won't work, but I was on Verizon's network during all of the tests.

Phones
    Active: Moto V551 (2), RIM Blackberry 7230 (2)
    Retired: LG VX4500, Moto V60p, i90c, V120e, V60c & several Qualcomms.
    Carriers
    Cingular (Voice) & T-mobile (BlackBerry)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Clipdin
    . . . . she sent me a text message (not long at all) and it came in three parts?!!
    Verizon makes a better profit by splitting text messages, especially from folks who do not use enough text messages to need a promotional package. I understand the technical limits of message lengths under SMS, but Verizon chooses to make it more profitable than necessary.

If you receive a long text message, split into two or more parts, you get the first part only -- which costs the "receive" price ($.02 for those with no promotional plan). Then it says to send a reply with "M" to get the next part, which costs the "send" price ($.10 without a promotional plan). Then you have to pay the "receive" price again (say $.02) when the second part comes. So to receive a 2 part message, it costs a total of $.14. Add $.12 for each additional part, so a three-part message can cost $.26. That must be quite profitable for Verizon and it discourages sending long text messages.

If Verizon wanted to minimize the average cost to its customers instead of maximizing its own profit from long text messages, it would immediately send all parts as separate messages without requiring us to send a request to get additional parts. That way we would only pay the "receive" costs for the several parts -- say $.04 for a two-part, split message. If Verizon thinks some of us might not want that, it could allow us to choose which option we prefer.

One way around this excessive cost to receive long messages on our phones is to use Mobile Web with a hotmail or MSN email account and have folks send messages to that email account. That avoids the message length limit, so you get the complete message in one shot.

You can set Mobile Web to alert you when you get a new email (from any recipient or from those chosen by filter settings) to your hotmail or MSN email account, so the total cost to you (other than Mobile Web) of receiving a long email is the "receive" cost for a single alert -- say $.02 (or less on promotional plans). If you don't have the alert feature activated, you can even save the $.02 and just check your email regularly from a PC/Mac or your phone in off-peak hours.

You do pay airtime to check email through Mobile Web, but the alert gives you the first part of the message without opening Mobile Web and you can judge whether it is important enough to read the full message immediately or you can wait until an off-peak hour. Also, you can decide to wait until you're near any internet-connected computer and then check your hotmail or MSN webmail on a PC/Mac instead of using the phone.