Thread: SMS / Delivery Status Question

Feedback Score

SMS / Delivery Status Question

Here's a scenerio, I'm not sure how the GSM network handles, if someone can fill me in, that would be superb!

You send a txt msg to someone on a different carrier and request a delivery status notification - you immediately receive a message stating that the message was successfully delivered. Does this mean the person's NETWORK accepted the message and will send it to their phone or does this mean the person's phone is powered on and has received the message?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Phones
    T-Mobile MyTouch 4G / Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G (White)
    T-Mobile MyTouch 4G (White)
    Carriers
    Sprint 4G
    Feedback Score
    I dont think it makes a difference. I think its sent to the network. If Im not mistaken most networks retain that message for 72 hours and retry to send untill successful. Anyone who DOESNT turn on their phone in 72 hours either REALLY doesnt want to be bothered, or is roaming internationally.

But as far as I know, the delivery notice ( I use it to make sure, and have evidence the message was sent ) is to the network operator who then delivers it whenever possible. It would be NICE to get a reply that the person got it though....

Feedback Score
    See, I thought that too until I read the following from http://www.arcx.com/sites/GsmFeatures.htm:

As many of you know, GSM is the only technology that supports the SENDING of SMS from the handset. You can use this feature to send SMS to another handset, or to a gateway. But how do you find out if the person you sent the message to has picked it up? On the menu of most GSM phones you'll find an option for "Delivery Reports", but this doesn't seem to work on Microcell Connexions in Canada, nor on some other GSM networks in North America.

But here's something that DOES WORK. Add a string of three 1's to the beginning of your message, something like this:

111Hi Joe, are you coming to the meeting?

Your recipient won't get the "111" at the beginning of the message, but you will be sent a confirmation message immediately after your recipient's phone downloads the message from the switch. This doesn't guarantee he's read your message, but it does guarantee that it is now IN his phone. If the message "goes stale" and is deleted from the carrier's system before it is picked up, you will also receive a confirmation of this.
    I tried sending myself a txt with 111 in front of it, but I didn't get any kind of success notification. What's going on?

Phones
    Carriers
    Sprint 4G
    Feedback Score
    Could be that possibly, the message is to and from your own phone. Kinda like calling your home number from your home number...usually goes to busy or voicemail...mine does some security screen thing. Its simply redundant to let you know you sent yourself a message...thats my guess

You can try to send me one, and I can reply back with the whole 111 scheme. Whats 10 cents for a little confirmation?

Phones
    N95-3 with 8G Card
    ADR 6400L - iPhone 3GS, i607, SE s710a/N6230b/ 6820/s56wNetmonitor
    Nokias, Motos, SE. I miss GSM, but enjoy LTE and massive coverage more
    Carrier
    Been with VZ since 2010, switched from legacy blue(AWE). All about massive coverage + unltd LTE
    Feedback Score
    I believe the 111 code is for canadian networks. For Tmobile, use *noti# at the beginning of the sms.

I send to multiple people on different networks. when the SMS is delivered to the persons handset, regardless wether cingular or AWE in my observance, it will say delievered. Or if it isnt delivered, then it will send me a message saying "message buffered" and will send me another message telling me that the message was delivered or if it failed.
    Courage is being scared to death...
    And saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Feedback Score
    Already tried it on 2 different TMobile phones...firstly, the recipient DOES see "111" and you get jack for a notification. Anyone else have any other tips and/or successful stories about receiving confirmation that the HANDSET picked up the message?

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by cdeman
    I believe the 111 code is for canadian networks. For Tmobile, use *noti# at the beginning of the sms.

I send to multiple people on different networks. when the SMS is delivered to the persons handset, regardless wether cingular or AWE in my observance, it will say delievered. Or if it isnt delivered, then it will send me a message saying "message buffered" and will send me another message telling me that the message was delivered or if it failed.
    Works - thanks, you're a genious!

Phones
    Carriers
    Sprint 4G
    Feedback Score
    I sent a message to my buddy in Austria A1 Telekom (T-mobile)

I got in response...

Message for 01143676******* with identification 040228161809 has been delivered on 2004-02-28 at 16:18:18

What the heck is the Identification number for?

I know the "from" number T-Mobile...duh.

So that means he got the message on the phone, or does that mean its a more thorough way to say.."MESSAGE DELIVERED"

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by rwalford79
    I sent a message to my buddy in Austria A1 Telekom (T-mobile)

I got in response...

Message for 01143676******* with identification 040228161809 has been delivered on 2004-02-28 at 16:18:18

What the heck is the Identification number for?

I know the "from" number T-Mobile...duh.

So that means he got the message on the phone, or does that mean its a more thorough way to say.."MESSAGE DELIVERED"
    The message ID is a unique ID number assigned to that message - same thing as each IP packet has its own ID number. The message "Message Delivered" means he got it on his phone...if his phone cannot accept messages, you get back a message "Message Buffered" and you'll receive another message "Message Delivered" once he actually turns on his phone and receives it.