Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 in front of area code for incoming calls?

Phones
    Samsung m540
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score

1 in front of area code for incoming calls?

Hi, does anyone here notice that all incoming calls from other Telus Mobility users since last Friday has the callerid show up as 1+area code+phone #? I have the LG phone and when I got it like 2 weeks ago, the callerid was just area code+phone #. Since last Friday, it's got an extra "1" in front of the area code like it's a long distance call. (but it's not cause those mobiles are local) My friend has a LG phone and it's the same thing plus my brother has the Mot v120c and it does the same thing too... Since it does the same thing on the v120, it's not a 1xRTT network issue. What's going on Telus??? This is quite annoying since the LG phone has a bug that does not recognize phonebook entry is the stored # if not EXACTLY the same as the incoming callerid. ie.) the area code AND the extra "1". Plus redailing the # back for a missed call has the extra "1" in front of it, therefore will turn into a LD call! Strange thing is that incoming calls from a landline does NOT show the extra "1", it's just the normal area code + phone #. Btw, I'm in Calgary. I'm hoping it's not area/cell tower dependent. Thx!

Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

Re: 1 in front of area code for incoming calls?

Originally posted by sml
    Plus redailing the # back for a missed call has the extra "1" in front of it, therefore will turn into a LD call!
    That is not true. The switch are clever enough to realize the a local number dialed with a 1 in the front of it, is still a local call. If you travel a lot, it is a good idea to store all your numbers like that.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    That's why I just program all my numbers in with a 1 in front. No calling line ID problems, plus it makes it easier to dial long distance if i'm travelling, etc... and the switch just recognizes it as local and bills me accordingly...

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I was just talking to the LG rep about this the other day. Apparently only Alberta has the 1 in front for incoming calls.

Unless of course you're receiving a call from a Fido client with 778 area code, then it shows the 1.

Phones
    Samsung m540
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Xirc
    I was just talking to the LG rep about this the other day. Apparently only Alberta has the 1 in front for incoming calls.

Unless of course you're receiving a call from a Fido client with 778 area code, then it shows the 1.
    Is that a network problem? Is that how it's going to be from now on?

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by sml

Is that a network problem? Is that how it's going to be from now on?
    As far as Alberta, isn't that how its always been?

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    It would make sense if they put the 1 in front of all incoming calls, all the time, just to keep things consistent.

I think it depends on how the handset software interprets incoming caller ID's... remember back in the days of 7-digit dialling... when you receive a 10-digit caller ID, but only have 7-digit numbers programmed in your phonebook, some handsets would recognize the 7 out of 10 digits, but some would not.
    Then, when we moved to 10-digit dialling, everyone had to program in all 10 digits, so for those handset which did not recognize the 7-digit ID's, the problem went away.

Same issue here, but we're being sent 1 extra digit instead of 3 extra digits. That's why I figured, what the heck, might as well just program in a 1, then subsequently discovered the added convenience of when I travel.

By the way, a little off-topic, but I received an international call from Australia the other day.... and the calling line ID showed up in the form (+612820702xx) ! Never received caller ID on an incoming international call before. Neat!

So can anyone tell me what the positive ("+") sign means? I always see it associated with international phone numbers, but never knew what it was there for. LOL... is there ever a negative ("-")?

Phones
    Samsung m540
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score

As far as Alberta, isn't that how its always been?
    Not before last Friday... cause my phonebook was still recognizing names with phone #s before that...

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by TELUSMobilityGuy
    It would make sense if they put the 1 in front of all incoming calls, all the time, just to keep things consistent.

I think it depends on how the handset software interprets incoming caller ID's... remember back in the days of 7-digit dialling... when you receive a 10-digit caller ID, but only have 7-digit numbers programmed in your phonebook, some handsets would recognize the 7 out of 10 digits, but some would not.
    Then, when we moved to 10-digit dialling, everyone had to program in all 10 digits, so for those handset which did not recognize the 7-digit ID's, the problem went away.

Same issue here, but we're being sent 1 extra digit instead of 3 extra digits. That's why I figured, what the heck, might as well just program in a 1, then subsequently discovered the added convenience of when I travel.

By the way, a little off-topic, but I received an international call from Australia the other day.... and the calling line ID showed up in the form (+612820702xx) ! Never received caller ID on an incoming international call before. Neat!

So can anyone tell me what the positive ("+") sign means? I always see it associated with international phone numbers, but never knew what it was there for. LOL... is there ever a negative ("-")?
    International numbers are always listed with the + in it. What that means is that you have to first dial a prefix that denotes international call which varies from country to country. In canada and US it is 011

So a number for Germany would be put on your business card as +49 66 666 66666 or whatever so when you give it to someone they know that 49 is a country code and they know to dial...

011 49 66 666 66666

Phones
    LG 4600
    Nokia 3590
    Samsung T300
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    yea I'm in alberta and I just noticed that all *mobile* incoming calls have a 1 in front, while landline is still 11 digit.
    I think its somewhat a pain!! now i gotta change my mobile #'s saved in the phone.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by talldarkazn
    yea I'm in alberta and I just noticed that all *mobile* incoming calls have a 1 in front, while landline is still 11 digit.
    I think its somewhat a pain!! now i gotta change my mobile #'s saved in the phone.
    Do you mean landline is still 10 digit? Or is landline really 11?

Phones
    Sharp SH-813 / 902SH
    LG 8120 (sold)
    Siemens M55C (retired)
    Carriers
    SmarTone 3G
    Feedback Score

International numbers are always listed with the + in it. What that means is that you have to first dial a prefix that denotes international call which varies from country to country. In canada and US it is 011

So a number for Germany would be put on your business card as +49 66 666 66666 or whatever so when you give it to someone they know that 49 is a country code and they know to dial...

011 49 66 666 66666
    say for international numbers, on GSM... say you're calling Hong
    Kong.. the area code is 852
    i would punch in +852 XXXX-XXXX to dial the number
    can i do the same on CDMA since in different countries, the
    prefix to denote international call may not be the same in
    another country.
    {C} SL
    Create a Simple Life

Phones
    Samsung m540
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Do you mean landline is still 10 digit? Or is landline really 11?
    He means landline is still 10 digits... anyways, I called Telus network support and they admit that it's a problem. They said if I don't see a fix for it within a week, then I should call them back and escalate it... whatever that means they're REALLY doing anything about it is another question. Yes, it is VERY VERY annoying!!!

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by jakob

say for international numbers, on GSM... say you're calling Hong
    Kong.. the area code is 852
    i would punch in +852 XXXX-XXXX to dial the number
    can i do the same on CDMA since in different countries, the
    prefix to denote international call may not be the same in
    another country.
    Every country has their own prefix for dialling internaional calls. In canada/us its 011, in the UK its 044 etc etc. So it depends what country you are in as to how you have to dial.

Phones
    Sharp SH-813 / 902SH
    LG 8120 (sold)
    Siemens M55C (retired)
    Carriers
    SmarTone 3G
    Feedback Score

Every country has their own prefix for dialling internaional calls. In canada/us its 011, in the UK its 044 etc etc. So it depends what country you are in as to how you have to dial.
    my question is still not answered though.
    when i was roaming on GSM last Christmas, i didn't have to worry
    about the prefix code where ever i was at.
    i just type in "+" plus the country code plus
    the area code plus the phone number i'm calling.
    no prefix needed.
    can i do the same on CDMA if i'm roaming?
    Last edited by jakob; 06-25-2002 at 04:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast