Thread: Network on NAM 1 vs. NAM 2... What's the difference?

Phones
    Blackberry 7130e
    Samsungs a900 and a740 (for my family)
    Carrier
    Sprint (since 2001)
    Feedback Score

Network on NAM 1 vs. NAM 2... What's the difference?

What does this "Network" setting do? What's the difference between NAM 1 and NAM 2?

(I searched this forum but didn't find the term "NAM" used at all. My apologies if it's been discussed before.)

Feedback Score
    NAM not going into 2 much technality is ur phone number.A phone can have upto 2 numbers working on it at the same time..so NAM1 is for first number and NAM2 for second but they hav to be from diff markets as defined by your carrier.

Phones
    HTC Incredible (VZW)
    Motorola Droid A855 (VZW)
    BlackBerry Tour 9630 (VZW) (inactive)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless,
    МегаФон Москва (exp.)
    Feedback Score
    They do not have to be from different markets I don't believe. You can have two VZW numbers from the same market if tech support will enable that support for you.
    "Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." -General John Stark
    "Bring on the trumpets!"

Feedback Score
    believe it..it cant have 2 from same market...

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    hmm, I have two 310 area code phone numbers on my phone.

Phones
    SE 760a/c905a Current
    Nextel 580 current-Wifes
    W518a - Kid
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I JUST, yesterday, set up a guy with a 909 and 626 area codes, same market same phone.

Phones
    Nokia 6256i (2)
    Nokia 6030 unlocked (TMO prepaid),
    Audiovox 9500 (3) (w/SPCS roaming PRL, backup handsets)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, SPCS roaming with VZW
    American Roaming Network, A side analog.
    Feedback Score
    NAM stands for Number Assignment Modual. Startacs have the ability for up to 4 NAMS.
    Having authentications turned off is fun, since multiple PRLs can be kept on the same phone... for experimetaion.

Verizon only uses NAM 1 in many markets. The phone won't work if NAM 2 is used in a market with "authentication". Authentication is general term for having a carrier's fraud prevention software measures turned on, to prevent cloning. If any other handset or that handset using NAM 2 (even with the exact same information programed in) tries to make a call, the netowrk knows something is different and won't allow a call to be made. Often, a message form James Earl Jones (Darth Vader's voice) comes on and says your phone cannot be authenticated.

AFAIK, authentication is either on or off and handsets, with multiple NAMs active, need it turned off.

-
    Sid
    Last edited by sid pearlman; 03-19-2004 at 03:52 AM.
    "This is my cell phone. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

Phones
    HTC Incredible (VZW)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless,
    МегаФон Москва (exp.)
    Feedback Score
    Right, sid pearlman.

Tech support can disable authentication in authentication markets. That will allow it to have two numbers from the same market. It is possible. I have seen it. People in no-Alltel markets have Alltel Simple Freedom and VZW postpaid on two NAMs of a 3585i. People have VZW prepaid and VZW postpaid on two NAMs of VZW postpaid phones. It can be done, but you may have to pester tech support to disable authentication on your account.

Phones
    LG VX 6000
    Nokia 3360
    Carriers
    Comcast
    Feedback Score
    Where do the second number come from and do it cost money to have the second number. Lets say I go to school in indiana but my phone is from philly can I get a indiana number and keep my philly number at the same time. Will i be able to have my phone on autonam and be able to recieve calls no matter what number was dialed.

Feedback Score
    Yes, you need to puchase a number for NAM2 just like you did for NAM1. I usually forward one NAM to the other...this works great with the new IN network plan....

There are some fine points to programming NAM2 correctly. Sometimes you can program the PRL OTA, but other times you need to flash the PRL. depends on the phone and which software version it is running.....best if you have tech support help you.

Phones
    HTC Incredible (VZW)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless,
    МегаФон Москва (exp.)
    Feedback Score
    Each line will be a separate account so you'll be paying a LOT more than you're paying now most likely.