Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Was able to activate old Motorola bag phone on Verizon :)

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    AT&T Blackberry Bold 9700 for work
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Was able to activate old Motorola bag phone on Verizon :)

Recently I bought an old Motorola 2900 bag phone. I thought Verizon would never let me activate it. I just programmed in the proper SID's into the phone, did an ESN Swap online..and I was in business!! It works great up in the mountains here in Colorado...I just blocked out all other SID's except my 15 preferred ones and I was in business!

Phone
    sanyo 5500
    Feedback Score
    I still got one of thoes old bag phones sitting in the closet.

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They're great...all you have to do is program in your 'preferred' SID's...which I just got from one of the last PRL readouts.

Phones
    Nokia 6256i (2)
    Nokia 6030 unlocked (TMO prepaid),
    Audiovox 9500 (3) (w/SPCS roaming PRL, backup handsets)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, SPCS roaming with VZW
    American Roaming Network, A side analog.
    Feedback Score
    That's a good reminder, hope it keeps working. Bag phones work great for some rural distance applications. Many people I meet who live, work or camp in rural areas, seem to have a 3 watt tucked away.

Finally took my bag phone off line on $10/month plan, after taking a trimode handset camping and actually comparing performance with the 3 watt. What it seemed to me...in mountainous terrain, the signal was either getting blocked by mountains or not. Distance didn't seem to be the problem, but the terrain blocking the otherwise adequate phone-tower signal. More power didn't get around the basic line of sight rule.

Of course I didn't haul the bagphone up on top any of the peaks, but I assume that extra wattage would have pushed a usable signal back to far off towers. The return link is always the weak spot, for current handhelds, at greater distance. The tower may see the handset, as the display may show several bars, but the underpowered hand held doesn't have the power to complete a call.

I'm curious about alternatives to 3 watt bag phones, including Yagi antennas and external boosters.

Bag phone Battery life is not very good and more areas, out in the middle of nowhere seem to be getting digital turned on, not to mention good digtial coverage while on the trip... out to the mountains.

A trimode digital phone does have some advantages. It's also nice to know that calls are not being overheard, by third parties on scanners. And yes, people still do listen to analog cell phone calls, especially the leg transmited from the more powerful tower, to the analog cell phone. The called party can be on a landline and have their conversasion intercepted, on the way back to the other parties analog cell phone.

Anyway, did you ever try using a Yagi antenna with your hand helds, or a seperate 3 watt booster hooked up to the smaller phones? I was thinking a stand alone, 3 watt add on booster may be the best of both worlds. All the modern conviences of a handheld including digital, when needed, then with a flick of a switch, 3 watt capability.

There's also some special codes that can be entered, allowing those older startac 3watt carkit boosters, to work amplifying startac trimodes.

Glad the 3 watt works for you. It's fun to use a "real" classic cell phone. Just keeping some more booster options open.

-
    Sid
    "This is my cell phone. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hi Sid

Yes...I have been checking out some of the boosters that are available out there. I definitley agree with u that it would be nice to have the range of a bag phone, with the features of a modern digital phone, such as data.
    Here are links to a couple that I checked out:

http://www.jdteck.com/single.htm
    http://cellantenna.com/Boosters/da4000.htm

You'll notice that the second is quite a bit more expensive than the first one...though that does not neccesarily correspond to an increase in quality. Look over those and tell me what you think...thanks!

Phones
    Moto KRZR (AllTel)
    Nokia 3585i, Moto v60i, LG vx6100
    Moto p280, Moto Bag Phone...
    Carriers
    VZW,
    Feedback Score

Incoming Calls on Bag Phone

I was able to set up my old Moto bag-phone on VZW through on online ESN change. Programmed in the right SID and correct side ( A vs. B). So outgoing calls worked fine. Except I got no incoming calls. That's my problem - any suggestions? Could it be that it's a very old bag phone without caller ID?

Thanks in advance.

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I do have a suggestion for you. With mine...I forget to program in the telephone number...I put in SID's..all that other stuff..but not my assigned telephone number. I was able to make calls, but not receive them. Perhaps this is your problem?

Jason

Phones
    Moto V710 (mine)
    TREO 600 (mine too)
    LG VX6000 (wife)
    Carriers
    Verizon has best Network
    Had Sprint for 2 Years
    Feedback Score
    when you did the esn chng online, how long did it take for the system to see your phone?

In other words you programmed the phone and had to wait how long before you could call out or receive calls?

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Also make sure you disable Caller ID on your account by dialing 611 and doing it thru the automated system!

Phones
    Moto KRZR (AllTel)
    Nokia 3585i, Moto v60i, LG vx6100
    Moto p280, Moto Bag Phone...
    Carriers
    VZW,
    Feedback Score

Question Automated 611 System

Guess I missed this feature... I'm only aware of VZW's online ESN swap feature. And I know about the * and # codes to turn on/off things like follow-me roaming, and outgoing caller-ID, etc.

I'd be great if there was a way either online or via an auto 611 system to turn-off / turn-on features like incoming caller-ID. This'd be better then dealing with CS everytime...

Thanks in advance for any tips you can pass along.

Phones
    Joined HoFo: April 2002
    Feedback Score
    Bag phones are still for sale ?!

http://www.concentric.net/~Campagna/moto400bag.html

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can turn off incoming caller id..just call 611...and do it thru the automated system

Phones
    Nokia 6256i (2)
    Nokia 6030 unlocked (TMO prepaid),
    Audiovox 9500 (3) (w/SPCS roaming PRL, backup handsets)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, SPCS roaming with VZW
    American Roaming Network, A side analog.
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by jtludwig
    Hi Sid

Yes...I have been checking out some of the boosters that are available out there. I definitley agree with u that it would be nice to have the range of a bag phone, with the features of a modern digital phone, such as data.

You'll notice that the second is quite a bit more expensive than the first one...though that does not neccesarily correspond to an increase in quality. Look over those and tell me what you think...thanks!
    The DA 4000 has got good revues and Cellantenna appears good about swapping out units with problems.
    Reading through the the forum, is an education in almost every aspect of antenna, cabling and booster use. Recommended.
    Cell Antenna Corporation Q&A Forum
    http://www.cellantenna.com/.cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I figured out a parts list. DA4000, multi antenna, FME/mini uhf adapter, and a bulkhead extension. Came to about $400... Even with that kind of expenditure, there are still limitations. Basically, one is getting greater range, but there still has to be an existing signal to work with. There's also a bunch of wiring and hardware to deal with. Seems pricey for my limited seasonal travel use, but what a cool toy in fringe areas!

There seems to be a application choice, fixed or mobile, yagi or an omni antenna/plus booster. The omni is going to be neccessary when used in a vehicle, to hit multiple towers. The gain from the omni, without a booster is not that great.

A Yagi, even without the booster, seems the best bang for the buck, for a fixed location. A trailer hitch mounted (Larry special), telescoping swimming pool handle mast, looks promising for times when a vehicle is parked. Carrying a Yagi around in a car trunk and setting it up, seems not without some challenges.

The longer Yagi, plus booster, is the maximum range solution.

Thought I saw a portable set up, somewhere...sort of like a modern version of a bag phone, without a tranceiver. Might be a handy way of carrying the amp (maybe a 12v battery and charging circuit too, for fully mobile use?).

I'm afraid without some planning and wire control, or an unlikely hard installation, there is going to be a tangle of wires and connections all over my car.
    In a vehicle, the booster needs a 12v supply, plus the external antenna connection. Another 12v connection for the handset would be a good idea. I'm thinking about a bag, to sit on the passenger floor or under the seat with a booster/battery.

-
    Sid

Phones
    Blackberry Tour
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    Verizon (Current)
    AT&T TDMA (2001)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Life-Is-Good
    Bag phones are still for sale ?!

http://www.concentric.net/~Campagna/moto400bag.html

Those are quite expensive. You can find a bag phone on Ebay for $50 now.

Phones
    HTC Dopod C730
    Pinapple PinPhone 3GS
    Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    China Unicom
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The second (more expensive) one also boosts PCS frequencies up to 2W. The first one only supports cellular and 900MHz GSM bands.

Originally posted by jtludwig
    Hi Sid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast