Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SIM PIN and PIN2 codes

Feedback Score

SIM PIN and PIN2 codes

Regarding the SIM card and the codes for it. What do these codes allow me to do? I tried 1234 and 0000 for the SIM PIN2 code, and now it's blocked. I have no idea what the unblock code is, either. I believe previously someone told me I could get the unlock code from the store I signed up with, is there any other way to get it? Also, how might I find the original PIN2 code once I find the unlock code, and how might I find the PIN code?

Carriers
    AT%T
    Feedback Score
    What you need is your PUK and PUK2 codes. Those are the "PIN unblocking codes". They will allow you to reset your PIN and PIN2 codes.

Your provider should be able to give them to you over the phone (at least Cingular does).

On my phone (v400) I can reset the PIN code by keying in:

**05* - PUK - then OK

You will then enter your new desired PIN1

**052* - PUK2 - then OK

You will then enter your new desired PIN2

Worked like a champ!

BE CAREFUL - if you enter the wrong unblocking code 10 times, your SIM card is supposed to be permanently disabled.

Feedback Score
    I assume you are just giving an example of what the unlock code would be like?

Thanks for your help, I'll give Cingular a call tomorrow.

Also, what exactly does having these codes do for you?

BTW I have a V400 also.

Thanks,
    Josh

Phones
    Apple 3GS Factory UNLOCKED 32 GB Black
    BlackBerry 9630 TOUR UNLOCKED
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Once you lock your sim out, you will need to contact your service provider. Once you call up your service provider, let them know that you locked your sims and that you need the PUK unlock code and they can give it to you, after you verify all the information with them, your name, full address, date of birth, social security number and so on... Remember to write down your PUK code somewhere safe in case you get locked out again. I learned the hard way a few times.

Phones
    Motorola V3I
    Motorola V3
    Carriers
    Mobistar (Belgium)
    Feedback Score
    Don't American providers give you a PUK code when you get your Pin card ?

Carriers
    AT%T
    Feedback Score
    I assume you are just giving an example of what the unlock code would be like?
    No, those were the actual keystrokes to unlock your phone if you have a v400, just insert your PUK codes.

The primary use for the codes (at least for me) are:

PIN: allows you to lock the SIM card. When you turn on your phone you are required to put in your SIM password. This way if someone gets a hold of your phone or card, it is useless.

PIN2: You can use this to get into the Fixed Dial. There you can put in a list of numbers the phone is allowed to dial, other numbers will be blocked.

Most Amercian providers do not give you these codes when you sign up because most people have no clue what to do with them.

Hope that helps....

Phone
    Moto v400
    Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    I have had the same problem with my sim being blocked, i called cingular and they told me i messed the phone up and would have to bring it in. they were going to have to contact the company and there was alot of downloading that would have to be done. they sounded like they didnt even know what a PUK number was. i would really like to be able to fix this problem my self, i was trying what you said [tafische]
    On my phone (v400) I can reset the PIN code by keying in:

**05* - PUK - then OK

You will then enter your new desired PIN1

**052* - PUK2 - then OK
    but i dont guess i understand, when i punch in the passwords the are all *'s
    and when i try to punch * on the phone it does nothing. i was just hopeing that other PUK numbers would work so i dont have to deal with cingular, im kinda affraid they dont really know what they are doing and are going to charge me for somthing they should have supplyed me with the codes when i got the phone.
    Thanks all.
    Taijiu

Carriers
    AT%T
    Feedback Score
    Call again....sometimes you have to play CSR roulette....

They should be able to give you your PUK codes over the phone.

However - if you have put in the wrong password more than 10 times I think it will lock out your sim and you will have no choice but to get a new sim.....

Phone
    Moto v400
    Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    well ill find out this weekend i guess. i know ive tryed more than ten times. on the sim2 lock. dont know how many on sim1. not as many. what all will it lock out? cause if all it locks out is the dialing options, and still lets me do everything eles its not that big of a deal for awhile i guess. will it stop me from hooking it up to the computer though? i want to get a cable this weekend also. i would try calling again, but i would probobly make them mad, since it is a very small cingular store and the same people are in there all the time. ill just go in and watch what they do. i want to make sure it is unlocked so i can hook it to my pc. they sell data cables at the store so im hopeing they can help me with that. anyway, thanks for your reply. i just wish there was some sort of master code for sim's, and that they would supply a better manual, i wouldnt have messed with it so much if i only could have read in the manual what all it did. the leave so much out of the manual. and then lock things on a phone you are supposed to own. that kinda makes me mad. if i own it shouldnt i know all the passwords? and have the knowledge of how it works? why are cell phone companys so secretive? they should read some of these message boards, and see what all people are asking about there phones, and add that information into the manuals. but possibly they have some good reason why they dont do that. anyway, ill quite ranting and wait till i can go to the cingular store and see if they will help me with out chargeing me for it. lol.
    Taijiu

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by pbuyse2
    Don't American providers give you a PUK code when you get your Pin card ?
    nope

we don't have pins on our sim cards by default like other countries do

Phones
    Apple iPhone 1st Gen 2.1 fw
    T-Mobile Dash
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My T-Mobile V300 default sim2 password was set to 5678
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." – Al Capone

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by T_Webb
    My T-Mobile V300 default sim2 password was set to 5678
    I said Most

Also the PUK code which is needed after entering the sim pin code wrong 3 times is unique to the sim card

Phones
    Nokia N86 8MP
    Nokia 6680
    Carrier
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    O2 are the only Irish operator who give all four codes (PIN1/PUK1 and PIN2/PUK2). Meteor will provide the PIN2 on request.
    Vodafone don't have a PIN1 on their SIM when you get it first. If you enable it, the default code is 0000. I'm not sure where they stand regarding PIN2 codes, but you don't get it with the SIM.

Just letting you know what the story is here.

Phone
    Moto v400
    Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    ok, i am a happy camper now. cingular game me my PUK2 and PUK2, and helped me with the security code. i think i entered the code in more than 10 times wrong, and it did not kill the card. it just said blocked, they told me if i enter it in to many times wrong then the phone will just quite working. but i am unsure of the amount of times you can enter it in befor the card dies. , and am unwilling to find them out. lol

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by taijiu
    ok, i am a happy camper now. cingular game me my PUK2 and PUK2, and helped me with the security code. i think i entered the code in more than 10 times wrong, and it did not kill the card. it just said blocked, they told me if i enter it in to many times wrong then the phone will just quite working. but i am unsure of the amount of times you can enter it in befor the card dies. , and am unwilling to find them out. lol
    SIM cards can be had for as low as $10.00 on ebay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast