Thread: Nextel vs. Verizon as far as call quality

Feedback Score

Nextel vs. Verizon as far as call quality

Which do you think has a better call quality, Nextel or Verizon.

Device(s)
    Samsung SPH-i500
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Verizon... Hands Down...

In my experience, using both iDen and CDMA phones, I think Verizon is the "clear" winner. The sound quality, however, will also be dependent on which phone you use. Those CDMA phones using the Qualcomm chips (non-Motorola) sound crystal clear. Nextel's Vocoder, which is based on TDMA, sounds tinnier than CDMA.

Personally, I think GSM-based systems and phones offer the best sound quality, which means you'd consider either Voicestream or AT&T Wireless. However, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit in the sound quality, as long as I have a phone that's operational almost anywhere. Hence, my choice is Verizon.

Nextel's overall quality (reception where they claim they have reception and sound quality) is actually quite good. After Verizon, I'd argue that Voicestream and Nextel offer the best overall cellular experience.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would suggest Nextel over GSM phones. Nextel is better at getting digital signal in department stores and everywhere. Voicestream is ok most of the time you can't get a signal.

Feedback Score
    Verizon.....hands down

Device(s)
    Motorola i580
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    A vocoder is not based on CDMA or TDMA, it is merely a piece of software used with the network to encode voice. The same vocoder could theoretically be used on IS95(CDMA), IS136(TDMA), iDEN(TDMA) and GSM(TDMA)
    Words of wisdom
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Become evil.

Device(s)
    Samsung GSV, LG Volt, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    not nessisarily, the 13kbps vocoder used in qcelp and efr can not be used in is-136 tdma. you can only use 8kbps vocoders in is-136, and if i am not mistaken iden only supports 8kbps vocoders as well.
    My awareness flows through the rivers of existence which pulse with the vibrance of my thoughts.

Device(s)
    Samsung SPH-i500
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Vocoder or Not, Nextel's Sound Isn't There...

Rather than debating over the Vocoder, let me just say that my experience has led me to believe that GSM phones sound best, w/CDMA phones sounding very good/excellent, and TDMA and iDen phones sounding fair.

I'll leave the technical debate to the technicians...

Device(s)
    Samsung SPH-i500
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Sound Quality Also Means Good RF...

One more thing. If we're discussing overall call quality (i.e. sound, RF, tower handoffs and call retention), I'd argue that CDMA, specifically Verizon, wins hands down in RF, handoffs and call retention.

What happened to Sprint PCS??? They got the sound quality down, but dropped calls, RF and handoffs are not their strong suit.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score
    thank you sir, i agree...if sprint had good RF and building penetration they'd be incredible

Device(s)
    Motorola i580
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Most GSM phones sound harsh and almost "tinny" to me. If you are looking into GSM, buy only Motorola.

My i90 is the best sounding iDEN phone I've had (I've also had the i85 and i1000).

Motorola also makes for good sound quality with the v60 and 270c on Verizon.

See the trend?

Device(s)
    Samsung GSV, LG Volt, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    i will have to agree on that, gsm vocoders are very harsh and shrill, they also fail to adequatly filter background noise. i prefer evrc on cdma, it has very consistent sound that has very even tone to it. and it really is cool when you are flying down the highway at 80mph and a person you are talking to can't tell you are on a cell phone. all of the people i know with gsm phones are very hard to ear if they are driving, their phone picks up the road noise and their stereo and transmits that sound louder than their voice. i don't have any problems with in building penetration with my sprint phone, i have to be under ground for it to stop working, and the same places my sprint phone doesn't work are the also the places my cingular phone doesn't work. in fact alot of the time my sprint phone will do better than my 800MHz cingular phone

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wouldnt say all of that but I do recommend buy motorola for GSM it just sounds clearer. Nokia they should stick with TDMA or really take time and make the best GSM phone they can.