Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can I port a number after I have already been given one?

Phone
    S56
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

can I port a number after I have already been given one?

Sorry if this has been asked but I just signed a one year with cingular and was told by the guy at best buy that once I have been given my new phone #, which was earlier today I can't port my old Verizon cell # later on. Anotherwords I could only port the verizon # at the time I signed up with cingular. Is this true? I didn't want to cancel my verizon contract till I tried the cingular phone for a couple weeks.

Phone
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Well you can only get answers like that at best buy, but you can actually port the number to your BAN and then do a number change. You will probably pay the number change fee of $36 but i have done it for customers at least three times now.

Phone
    S56
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    BAN
    Sorry, what is BAN?

Phones
    Nokia 6820
    Nokia 6800
    Nokia 8260
    Carrier
    Cingular (TDMA and GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Billing Account Number.

I highly doubt they would charge you for a number change for a port in. If you already paid an activation fee you should be fine. I've been changing customer who ported later and I was told not to charge them.
    Well, let me guess. You're either lost, or desperately searching for a good tailor.

Phones
    Sony Ericsson T616
    Nokia 3640i
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Anotherwords
    ?

Phone
    iphone 3g
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    so the answer is "yes"?

I'm in a situation where I want to sign on to cingular but my ATT plan doesn't run out till after the family talk promotion ends. I would really like to port my number after my current ATT contract ends.

Phone
    Different One Each Week
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    If you're still within your 14 days, The sales person should submit a no-install form and then port your number. This way you dont have to pay any fees

Phone
    iphone 3g
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    well my contract ends 5/31 and the promotion ends 5/9 i believe. so that's over 14days. maybe I can haggle

Phones
    se t616
    nokia 3595 (backup)
    Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    I did successfully port my number after my service had already started. It did take them over a week to do it though, something about tmobile's system being screwed up. I was aggravated to find that $36 charge on my first bill, even though not one of the 20 or so reps I talked to throughout that week said anything about a fee to port the number. When I called Customer Care about it, the person I talked to said in my notes someone had told me about the charge, so either someone had written that without telling me about the charge, or he was blatantly lying about it being in the noted. I don't know. My question is, is there anything I can do about it now? I've been using the service for about 3 months, and have already paid that bill. I should have asked to speak with his supervisor, but I was so aggravated at that point I didn't think of it. Can I call them up and ask them to take the charge off? From what I'm hearing, they shouldn't be charging a new customer.

Phones
    Nokia Mural 6750 (current)
    Motorola KRZR K1 (backup)
    Motorola v540 (previous)
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That's a standard activation fee and has nothing to do with porting your number. It's in everything you signed.

Phones
    se t616
    nokia 3595 (backup)
    Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    Actually, the plan I started had no activation fee. It's a retailer plan. The bill also said it was a charge for porting the number.

Phones
    BlackBerry 7290
    Nokia 5125
    Nokia 6340i
    Carriers
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by maerlynne
    Actually, the plan I started had no activation fee. It's a retailer plan. The bill also said it was a charge for porting the number.
    it sounds more like it was a charge for "changing" your number, not for porting, and the system automatically generates it if you put down a reason for changing the number like "customer request" instead of "procedural"
    for your instance I would recommend calling in, asking "if i ported in a number and just used it on my current phone, would there be a charge for that" and they say "no" then tell them to take it off from when you got it charged 3 months ago

back to the origional poster:
    YES, it can be done, call in to customer service and say what you want to do, if they act like they have no idea what you are talking about ask to be given the number to the people that port telephone numbers (or just have them transfer you)

only at best buy...
    -kilo <<I used to work as a Customer Service Representative and then as a Tier II Technical Support Representative for Cingular Wireless LLC most of my info you can associate with TX OK AR KS MO>>

Feedback Score
    Had the same problem...

After I actually got the number ported.. Michigan number going into a NYC area phone - what a nightmare... had to go to michigan to pick up a sim card from a store there.

Anyhow - another story for another day.

I have the $36 number change fee on my bill as well. I originally purchased the phone and service plan from amazon.com, and when I called cingular to confirm that I would be able to bring in my old number when I received the phone, i was told it would be free, and there would be no problems...

I also received another very odd charge on my bill that was labeled "ENGSM450RUM2M5KNW7TM" on my bill. I'm guessing it is because I attempted to change my plan online to gsm 450 rollover minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile, 5 thousand night and weekends starting at 7 and 100 text messages. (The name of the charge pretty much says it all)

This charge was billed for the time period 10/2 to 11/1 - why would it show up on my september bill?

Phone
    Pebl
    Carrier
    Cingular Blue
    Feedback Score
    When this happened to me I called Cingular CS and the woman I spoke with actually understood my question and took care of it quickly. She marked my account for a free sim card and said to go to any Cingular corporate store to get it switched for free. The number they assign you is actually burned into your sim card. You are porting your number to a sim card, not actually into the phone. Then all that has to be done is to have the number port approved and burned into a new sim. Swap out the sims and you are done.

BTW, if you dont get the answer you want from CS on anything, call back 2 mins later and talk to someone else. Half the people are friendly and intelligent and half of them aren't sure how to spell Cingular.

Phones
    HTC Touch Diamond, AT&T Tilt
    nokia n75, 8125, treo 650, sanyo 8300
    moto black razr v3, samsung p207
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by eduboys
    This charge was billed for the time period 10/2 to 11/1 - why would it show up on my september bill?
    wireless companies, along with the cable company and so on, charge the monthly service fee a month ahead

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast