Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How does Tmobile justify charging for incoming text messages?

Feedback Score

Angry How does Tmobile justify charging for incoming text messages?

Over the last 4 hours I have gotten over 300 text messages from some person just sending a bunch of random typed crap.

To make things worse... the first rep was an idiot as well as the second. I had to make a 3 calls just to resolve the issue.

This is bull, no carrier should be allowed to charge for incoming text messages. It is out of the control of the user. It's not like calls were you can chose to receive them or not.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: How does Tmobile justify charging for incoming text messages?

Originally posted by Paulie
    Over the last 4 hours I have gotten over 300 text messages from some person just sending a bunch of random typed crap.

To make things worse... the first rep was an idiot as well as the second. I had to make a 3 calls just to resolve the issue.

This is bull, no carrier should be allowed to charge for incoming text messages. It is out of the control of the user. It's not like calls were you can chose to receive them or not.
    I understand what you mean. However, you also have to look on the flipside. What if you recieved 300 sms messages and then called Tmobile CS up and said someone was abusing the SMS system and they credited ur account for 300 sms? Now you're taking advantage of Tmobile.

It's true that they can stop charging for all incoming SMS, but then that would be lost revenue. In todays' economy, every company needs as much revenue as possible.
    Apple
    My Blog

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

Re: How does Tmobile justify charging for incoming text messages?

Originally posted by Paulie

If you are being harrassed you need to report it. T-Mobile should be able to file a trouble/harrassment ticket. Is the harrassment from a telephone number or from an email address?

T-Mobile charges 5 cents/message which is the lowest US provider charge. Others charge 10 cents for outgoing SMS.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phones
    iPhone, Android, S60 and many more.
    iPhone, Android, iPad
    Nokia S60
    Carriers
    T-Mobile (Feb 2001-2012), Verizon LTE 2011-Present, MetroPCS 2013-Present
    SprintPCS (<6 months), PrimeCo
    Feedback Score
    Your situation is certainly the exception and I'm sure CS would happily investigate and resolve the issue without too much hassle.

As for how they can justify it? They own the network. Receiving SMS takes up no less bandwidth than sending. Most companies started charging for incoming because of people abusing it and also because they were missing out on a great revenue source.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    twitter | Facebook

Feedback Score

Yeah

I initially thought it would be a problem too. I had Yahoo! Mobile sending me the weather and breaking news while I was on AT&T. However, I found out that T-Mo does give you the first 50 incoming messages for free, so it's not that bad. I cut out the daily alerts and now only use it for eBay outbid alerts and the fre messages from friends.

However, I look at it this way: Each cellphone provider wants X amount of dollars out of you (X being $39.99 plan plus about $10 in additional "services"). AT&T gets that off their data plans ($16.99 gets you only 8MB!!!!). T-Mobile gets it from incoming messages and T-Zones. I would gladly pay $2.99 for a package of messages and $19.99 for unlimited Internet and not have to pay the crazy AT&T overage charges on data ($60 last month for me). Unlimited incoming was a "nice to have".

It's like the cable company... they want their 50 bucks out of you no matter what, so they're going to remove decent channels from their base packages until you step up to digital or screw them entirely and go with DirecTV!

The 5cent sending is actually quite nice... as are the bundled message packages... as was BuddyTime (RIP). But yeah, if you're getting hit with junk message or spam, just call CS and have them take care of them.

--Darren

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G 8GB
    Nokia 6010
    Carrier
    AT&T (US)
    Feedback Score
    While AT&T is nice for *receiving* text messages, here's a closer look...

AT&T:
    4.99 100 Outgoing (free incoming)
    9.99 300 Outgoing (free incoming)
    0.10 per over-use

T-Mobile:
    2.99 300 Outgoing and incoming
    6.99 1000 Outgoing and incoming
    0.05 per over-use

In reality, T-Mobile is *still* cheaper. I use anywhere from 200-500 text messages a month, incoming and outgoing. I have 1300 text messages a month (additional 300 from grandfathered t-zones). With T-Mobile, you could send and receive 1060* text messages (plus the free 50 incoming) for the same price as AT&T's 300 outgoing/free incoming. If you receive over 35 text messages a day, every day, maybe the free incoming is better. Otherwise, T-Mobile is still the price leader.

*Note: You could actually add the 300 package on top of the 1000 package for a total of 1300 text messages bi-directional for 9.98 a month, a penny cheaper than AT&T's 300 outgoing plan. You could receive 30 text messages a day and send 10, EVERY DAY, and still not go over the limit with T-Mo.
    Last edited by sandking; 04-06-2004 at 04:22 PM.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They could solve the revenue problem by doubling the price of outgoing messages and removing the charge for incoming.
    My Plan:
    Simple Choice Unlimited Talk + Text + Web
    Line 1: Unlimited 4G Data + 500 MB HotSpot
    Line 2: 2.5 GB 4G data/HotSpot

ALIQVA LOCVTIO DEMENS LATINA IN TRANSVERSVM SCRIPTA

Phone
    HTC One
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    we are the little people

Phones
    Nokia Ngage
    Blackberry 6230
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier
    T-MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    Just go to your account at t-mobile.com and set up the power messaging junk/spam filter to prevent from getting any messages. Just set up a filter with the rules on vowels, "t", "s", and "y" (think wheel of fortune).
    Please call 1-800-937-8997 on a different phone so we can help you...

Need to know how to interface your phone to your device.

Need help setting up your email client on the phone click on this for setting it up.

What is your proxy setting then go to what to input for the settings

Phones
    Motorola V300, RAZR V3, A650, KRZR K1, RAZR2 V8, ROKR E8, ZINE
    Nokia 6610, 3361, 5165, 6010, T-mo Wing
    Samsung S105, R225, X105, T809->D820, T619, SE T610
    Carrier
    t-mo
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

Just imagine if spaming is extended to your number@t-momail.com. That will be the end of the world if you have to pay 5 cents for each spam.

I think it is better that t-mobile charge 10 cents/message for the sender and nothing for the receiver rather than 5 cents each on both.....

Phones
    Treo 650
    Tilt
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by EPIC_TRUTH
    Just go to your account at t-mobile.com and set up the power messaging junk/spam filter to prevent from getting any messages. Just set up a filter with the rules on vowels, "t", "s", and "y" (think wheel of fortune).
    IIRC, the junk/spam filter that you speak of only works on messages sent to you by way of your number@tmomail.net address. Messages sent directly to your phone number aren't covered by this.
    Geo
    [@]banana[chu|two|too] #hiptop on efnet

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by jrey
    Just imagine if spaming is extended to your number@t-momail.com. That will be the end of the world if you have to pay 5 cents for each spam.

I think it is better that t-mobile charge 10 cents/message for the sender and nothing for the receiver rather than 5 cents each on both.....
    Except that it's tmomail.net. Have you ever been spammed?

Phones
    Motorola V300, RAZR V3, A650, KRZR K1, RAZR2 V8, ROKR E8, ZINE
    Nokia 6610, 3361, 5165, 6010, T-mo Wing
    Samsung S105, R225, X105, T809->D820, T619, SE T610
    Carrier
    t-mo
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by littlefuzzbear
    Except that it's tmomail.net. Have you ever been spammed?
    No, not yet... My point is it's easy enough to guess anyway....

Phones
    SEK700
    N6610
    Carriers
    US: T-Mobile, Cingular, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I sometimes get weird SMS from the T-Mobile web site. From some secret admirer of mine, so I never know who sends these occasional love SMS to me. I am surprised many of the carriers allow free SMS to be sent from their web sites.

I changed my email from 2135551212@tmomail.net to mychoice@tmomail.net Is there anyway for someone to locate an account with the newly created SMS address?
    Last edited by JustinTime; 04-07-2004 at 01:41 AM.

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by sandking
    While AT&T is nice for *receiving* text messages, here's a closer look...

AT&T:
    4.99 100 Outgoing (free incoming)
    9.99 300 Outgoing (free incoming)
    0.10 per over-use

T-Mobile:
    2.99 300 Outgoing and incoming
    6.99 1000 Outgoing and incoming
    0.05 per over-use

In reality, T-Mobile is *still* cheaper.
    We could come up with countless scenarios in which one service ends up being cheaper than another based on a particular usage pattern. But the point is that with AT&T, you have control over your SMS costs. Being charged for unwanted incoming text messages is like having airtime deducted every time your phone rings but you don't answer it (either because you're away or it's an unwanted call).

It would be better if T-Mobile allowed customers who don't use SMS the option to filter out all SMS messages besides the ones sent by T-Mobile themselves. Then for those who don't use SMS but still get unwanted incoming messages, there'd no longer be the hassle of having to call up T-Mobile every month to have the charges credited. Whether that's technically possible at the present time is another story.
    Last edited by davidh44; 04-07-2004 at 04:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast