Thread: Tethering on VZ network w/ Kyocera 7135 questions

Device(s)
    T616
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Tethering on VZ network w/ Kyocera 7135 questions

My dad purchased the Kyocera 7135 phone a while back and is now wanting to use the phone to access the internet. He's a real estate agent and would like to access the MLS from anywhere.

He would like to hook the phone up to the laptop and access the net from the computer vs the littler screen on the Kyocera. I went to Kyocera's site and read up on it a little bit.

From what I can tell it is a 1xrtt phone so it should get the 70ish kbps?

I wasn't sure if he should use the 7135 or if it would be better for him to check into getting a PCMCIA card. If the 7135 is in fact a 1xrtt device then it'll work just fine.

My limited understanding of VZ's network is that you have a choice of 2 different connections, CSD and 1x? CSD being you dial up an ISP at around 14kbps max? 1xrtt being sort of an always on type of connection where you don't actually dial up anything and you get something like 70kbps?

Assuming I am correct on the 2 different connections I have more questions. Does anything need to be provisioned or enabled on his service for him to create a CSD connection? My assumption is no. I'm also assuming the CSD connection will just use his minutes?

Obviously he would like to connect at 70kbps vs 14 so now the 1x questions. His service does need some sort of provisioning or enabling to use 1x, correct? I assume that b/c currently when I try to access the internet on his Kyocera it gives some sort of message saying it couldn't connect. I don't remember the message it gave but it gave me the impression that it was b/c the data feature was currently blocked for his service.

It looks to me that if you wanna connect using 1xrtt you gotta get on the the data plans listed on Verizon's site. Looking at the plans I'm assuming that if my dad did decide he will pay extra for the service that he will probably go with one of the lowest plans (either the 150 minute or the 20MB). After looking at the plans I have MORE questions (thanks if you've made it this far! ). What happens if he got the $49.99 PDA/Smartphone unlimited access plan and he actually tethers the phone to his computer (will it not work, will it charge him per KB/minute, or will it work fine)? I ask that b/c AT&T has an unlimited PDA plan for $49.99 w/ an "*" saying 2 consecutive months of 100MB or more of usage and you can be bumped up to the $79.99 plan. Basically w/ AT&T a user can still tether to a computer and the data is all included in the $49.99 plan but AT&T of course wants people tethering to be on the $79.99 plan hence the "*."

THANK YOU IF YOU ACTUALLY READ THRU ALL OF THIS!!!

So here are my questions from above copied and pasted below:

1) From what I can tell the Kyocera 7135 is a 1xrtt phone so it should get the 70ish kbps?

2) My limited understanding of VZ's network is that you have a choice of 2 different connections, CSD and 1x?

3) CSD being you dial up an ISP at around 14kbps max?

4) Does anything need to be provisioned or enabled on his service for him to create a CSD connection?

5) I'm also assuming the CSD connection will just use his minutes?

6) 1xrtt is sort of an always on type of connection where you don't actually dial up anything and you get something like 70kbps?

7) His service does need some sort of provisioning or enabling to use 1x, correct?

8) What happens if he got the $49.99 PDA/Smartphone unlimited access plan and he actually tethers the phone to his computer (will it not work, will it charge him per KB/minute, or will it work fine)?

I think I got all of the questions down. Thanks again for any help!
    Last edited by brobinson; 04-08-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Device(s)
    LG3100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1) yes, the 7135 is 1X capable

2) actually there are 3 - circuit switched, qnc and 1x connections. No need to do a CSD for data, you can use the free quick net connect (14.4) connection which just uses minutes.

3) CSD or QNC connections will top out at 14.4 yes.

4) no

5) correct

6) no, you still have to make a data connection through the switch. With no use the connection times out after 2 hours.

7) Well yes, but the PDA plan includes that

8) Don't know much about billing, so I can't answer that for sure.

Device(s)
    eyePhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Read this thread all the way thru.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hlight=%2Bsmtp

Dont stay logged on all the time and you will be fine with the PDS/Smatphone Unlimited feature.

Good Luck

Mark

Device(s)
    Joined HoFo: April 2002
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by brobinson
    . . . 8) What happens if he got the $49.99 PDA/Smartphone unlimited access plan and he actually tethers the phone to his computer (will it not work, will it charge him per KB/minute, or will it work fine)? . . .
    It will work fine, but it is a violation of the Customer Agreement to tether a computer to smartphone using a PDA/Smartphone plan. Verizon is beginning to crack down on abuses of the Customer Agreement.

Even though I did nothing that violated the Customer Agreement for my Unlimited NationalAccess plan, I would not want a repeat of the month of grief I got from Verizon when their Account Investigations Department and their Fraud Department investigated my account for high data usage. After Verizon finally absolved me of all of their unfounded accusations I cancelled my Unlimited NationalAccess plan yesterday.