Thread: Recommended phones for older people/bad eyesight

Phone
    iPhone 3G 16gb
    Carrier
    AT&T (Since May 98)
    Feedback Score

Recommended phones for older people/bad eyesight

Last year my grandmother picked up a Motorola T193 from Cingular (pretty much as soon as they came out) the Rep gave her a free orange cover so that it would contrast with the buttons so she could see it easier. However, when it comes down to it the buttons are still really tiny and frankly the menu system on the phone sucks.

Looking at Cingular the only phone that they offer that may have bigger buttons than the T193 is the 3395. But I really dont know by how much.

Any recommendations on phones that have larger displays and larger buttons for these type users? I was looking at an older motorola 6000e flip phone but i worry that the flip would break off.

I am suprised there isn't a market for these types of phones. I know people want stylish SMALL phones - but there have to be plenty of people out there that want phones with bigger buttons and bigger screens.

Any recommendations/ideas?

Thanks

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

Re: Recommended phones for older people/bad eyesight

Originally posted by aphex
    Last year my grandmother picked up a Motorola T193 from Cingular (pretty much as soon as they came out) the Rep gave her a free orange cover so that it would contrast with the buttons so she could see it easier. However, when it comes down to it the buttons are still really tiny and frankly the menu system on the phone sucks.

Looking at Cingular the only phone that they offer that may have bigger buttons than the T193 is the 3395. But I really dont know by how much.

Any recommendations on phones that have larger displays and larger buttons for these type users? I was looking at an older motorola 6000e flip phone but i worry that the flip would break off.

I am suprised there isn't a market for these types of phones. I know people want stylish SMALL phones - but there have to be plenty of people out there that want phones with bigger buttons and bigger screens.

Any recommendations/ideas?

Thanks
    The only phones that might have slightly larger buttons would be the older 5190. But some things like certain things on the screen will tend to be tiny. To get the biggest letters in the phone book for instance use the name only rather than name and number. Mobiles aren't really friendly to people who have a hard time seeing or hearing.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phones
    Storm, iPhone, Venus, VX9900, VX8600, VX8100, e815, VX7000, VX6000
    S46 (2), v60t, A400, Allure
    8260 (3), Sanyo 4500, SCH-8500
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    there isn't a market for these types of phones because frankly seniors aren't a very big market of cell phone users.
    Love without pain isn't really romance.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The upcoming Nokia 3590 has a fairly large screen. Maybe you can get that phone and keep your eyes peeled for a 3rd party cover that has bigger buttons.

New Infinity Blade character

My iPhone 5 ringtone: Bah, Bah, Black Sheep.

Our reviews:

ZTE Open| Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Apple iPhone 5c | Apple iPhone 5s | LG G2 | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in pictures | Samsung Galaxy Mega | 2013 Nexus 7 | Cel-Fi Signal Booster | Huawei Ascend Y300 | Motorola Moto X | Blackberry Q5 | Motorola Moto X | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" | Belkin NetCam HD | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" | Belkin WeMo Switch | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1" | Nexus 7 2012 vs 2013 | Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 | MugenPower GS4 Battery | Huawei Ascend Y210 | Huawei B890 Router | Nokia Lumia 520 | Blackberry Q10 | ZTE F160 | Samsung Galaxy S4 | HTC One | Sony Xperia ZL | Nokia Lumia 620 | Samsung ATIV-S | Blackberry Z10 | Samsung Galaxy Camera | Reflections on 2012 | HTC Windows Phone 8s | Samsung Rugby LTE | Huawei D Quad XL | Google Nexus 4 | Apple iPad Mini | HTC One X+ | HTC Windows Phone 8X | Nokia Lumia 920 | Sony Xperia T | Parrot Zik | LG Optimus G | Samsung Galaxy Note II | Motorola DEFY PRO | Motorola RAZR HD LTE | From iOS to Android | Apple iPhone 5 | HoFo at the CWTS coverage | Rogers LTE Rocket Hub ZTE MF28B | Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 launch | Motorola RAZR V | Motorola ATRIX HD LTE | Back to School Guide | HTC One V | Huawei Ascend P1 | Sony Xperia ION | Nokia Lumia 610 | Nexus 7 | LG Optimus L7 | HTC Titan II | Sony Xperia U | OtterBox Commuter for HTC One X | Samsung Galaxy S III | HTC One S | Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE | Nokia Lumia 900 | HTC One X | Apple iPad 3 | Sony Xperia S | Samsung Galaxy Note | Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 | Nokia Lumia 710 | Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0 | Casemate Pop for Galaxy Nexus | Otterbox Commuter for Galaxy Nexus | Otterbox Defender for Galaxy Nexus | Nokia Lumia 800 | Motorola Pro+ | Blackberry Curve 9360 | Asus Transformer Prime | Galaxy S Glide | Blackberry Bold 9790 | Nokia N9 | 2011 Gift Guide | HTC Amaze 4G | Acer ICONIA Tab A501 | LG Optimus LTE | Case Mate TANK | Samsung Galaxy S II LTE | Motorola RAZR | Samsung Galaxy Nexus