Thread: How's the coverage in Hawaii (Big Island)?

Phones
    iPhone (16GB white)
    Waaaaay too many
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question How's the coverage in Hawaii (Big Island)?

I'm going to be taking a vacation soon and going to Kona on the big island, was wondering how the coverage is on the island from people who live there or have recently been there. I have a copy of the coverage map PDF, but was wondering if it's as good as the coverage map claims...

Thanks.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    All I can say is that it's a great place to vacation because you get your AT&T coverage for free since it is part of the US.

Edit: On the other hand, AT&T's maps are known to be FAIRLY accurate, so you'll probably get pretty good coverage if it's reading good on the map.

Phones
    iPhone (16GB white)
    Waaaaay too many
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, im on the 1000 anytime local plan from SoCal, and will get charged roaming in HI. I even tried twice today to get AT&T CC to switch me to the 1000 anytime national plan people are getting, but no dice.

But back to my original question, how's the coverage on the big island?

Phones
    iPhone 3G 16gb BLACK
    Moto RAZR (when riding on the motorcycle)
    Carriers
    AT&T Wireless,
    Feedback Score
    AT&T coverage on the Big Island is better than any other cell provider. With an 850 phone, you will have coverage pretty much anywhere you travel (from Kona all the way to the top of Mauna Kea). I am currently on T-Mobile, but because AT&T coverage is so much better here I would switch in a second if only AT&T offered a reasonable data plan. If only they could match the T-Mobile or Cingular $20/mo unlimited data plans :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

enjoy your trip to Kona!
    got an xbox360? Let's Play!

Phones
    iPhone (16GB white)
    Waaaaay too many
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Good thing I have an 800 capable phone.

Phones
    Apple IPHONE 5
    RIM BOLD (work)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Here's a long distance question about Hawaii. I am actually going to Kona in October, since I just switched to the new GSM national plan, will I be able to make calls from Hawaii to MD, without incuring long distance charges?

I guess I will be able to call other att cell phone users in MD, but I am wondering if long distance is charged?

I do have free long distance, but I need verification if that is only for my home area.
    Last edited by dojdave; 04-21-2004 at 08:41 AM.

Phones
    Bold
    Curve
    V3
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I found the coverage very good on the West side of the island.

I was there in January (I try to get there every year). Coverage was very good from Kawaihai (sp?) down to the heart of Kona.

Worked great at the Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani, Waikaloa, Four Seasons, Airport, etc.

...and this was with a 1900 phone.

Rene

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by dojdave
    Here's a long distance question about Hawaii. I am actually going to Kona in October, since I just switched to the new GSM national plan, will I be able to make calls from Hawaii to MD, without incuring long distance charges?

I guess I will be able to call other att cell phone users in MD, but I am wondering if long distance is charged?

I do have free long distance, but I need verification if that is only for my home area.
    As long as you are on a National Plan and have free long distance you won't be charged any Roaming or Long Disatance charges to call back to the Mainland (Continental US). I have the National plans on all my services and was there on O'ahu last summer and didn't get charged when I called or received calls from California and other states.

Only if you are on a Local or Regional plan that you'll get charged because you'll be out of your LCA/HCA (local/home calling area), as skytrack will be below.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by skytrack
    Well, im on the 1000 anytime local plan from SoCal, and will get charged roaming in HI. I even tried twice today to get AT&T CC to switch me to the 1000 anytime national plan people are getting, but no dice.
    That's one reason I will always be on a National Plan as I never know if I will be going out of the area and don't have to bother with pesky customer service reps that don't want to change my plan. Those roaming charges on local plans can add up if you don't watch yourself.