Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: SDSVIET’S TUTORIAL [PICS] Replacing P900 Housing & Prepping it for a Custom Paintjob

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

SDSVIET’S TUTORIAL [PICS] Replacing P900 Housing & Prepping it for a Custom Paintjob

SDSVIET’S TUTORIAL [PICS] Replacing P900 Housing & Prepping it for a Custom Paintjob

I recently bought a new housing from globalmob and got really excited about replacing my old since it had a scratch on it. Also I was really excited about painting the old housing and giving my p900 a new look. It took me a couple of hrs when I first started trying to open up the housing, but after that I can easily take out everything apart in under 20 mins. Well I learn this the hard way and since hofo has been a great help to me, I want to put a tutorial on how to change the housing for the p900 as my contribution for all the things I’ve learn since I found hofo. Well here goes, hopefully u guys will learn from this and spread the joy. Hehe. I will also show u guys how to take all the glued pieces on the housing so u can do ur own paintjob on the housing.

1. First off u will need some tools. A set of Stanley or whatever brand mini screwdrivers will do. U will need an exacto knife. U will need a needle tool of some sort. Also u will need a thin and flat metal tool (connected to the key chain) where it is strong enough not to bend. Some people have used their fingernails instead of this but to me it didn’t work at all.

2. Next u will need to take everything out of ur p900 that is attached such as the battery cover, battery, sim card, ms duo, and ur stylus. Remember don’t forget to take all these things out or they will obstruct u in trying to open up the housing. I actually tried to open the housing with my sim card in and almost broke it in half. After that remove the pieces on the top of the back of the phone to expose the screws. I have provided arrows to where u can find these screws. Next take the screws out. These screws are really long.

3. After all the screws are out. Use the flat metal piece and start from the bottom of the phone on the sides and push it into the top crevice of the side.

4. Once u get it in the crevice, slide it all the way to the top to pop out the supports that are snapped in to the phone. There are two on each side of the phone.

5. Once u get these four popped out then take the front cover off the housing.

6. On the inside of the front cover housing, u will see the ear piece held on by the white crossbar support. It is held on at the ends. Pop the crossbar off and u can take off the eye piece. Don’t forget there’s a mesh cover lining underneath that too. U need to take that off also. If u have ur other housing with u, now is the time to put these pieces in the other housing so u don’t lose it.

7. Now its time to take off the lcd and motherboard. First u need to pick up the lcd to expose the metal plating that is protecting the motherboard. There u will see 2 screws on the metal plating. Take those screws out. To get the mother board out, u need to popped of the little clips that is holding down the motherboard. They are on the top of the phone and the sides. There are arrows there to show u. don’t forget when ur taking the motherboard out the lcd is still attached to the board and the jogdial itself is also attached to the underside of the motherboard. Do just popped out the clips slowly and then slowly lift the motherboard up to expose the bottom half.

8. U can see the lcd wire that is clipped onto the motherboard and the jogdial wire is the same just smaller. Just lift up the motherboard to expose the lcd wire and then popped the wire out. Its pretty easy to pop it out. Just use a flathead and push it out. After that, lift the motherboard up a little higher and u can see the jogdial wire attached at the opposited end diagonally from the lcd wire.

9. Here is all the pieces after it has been diassembled.

10. Here u can see the two areas where the lcd and jogdial wires are attached.

11. After the motherboard is taken off u will see the bottom half of the housing with all the parts on it. Here u see the screws that are holding some of the parts down.

12. Here is a closer view of all the parts.

13. Ok now all the parts are numbered in order to make it easier for u guys to take the pieces outs.

1. Mic with mesh cover
    2. Vibrator
    3. Headset Jack
    4. Camera and Internet Button(2 Screws)
    5. MS Duo Cover
    6. Speaker Phone with mesh cover and Crossbar (1 Screw)
    7. Support for the camera
    8. Antenna
    9. Jog Dial

1,2,3,4 is actually all separate, so it doesn’t matter wat order u take it out. But the rest of them overlap each other so they them out in the order above. Refer the previous detailed parts picture if there is any problems.

14. So now ur basically done with taking all the parts out. Just put it in the housing in reverse order and ur all set. I think u guys can figure out how to put the housing back together. Just do everything in reverse. Now u have this extra old housing laying around. Wat do u do? Well if ur one of thems who like to mess around and see wta u can do with mods or paintjobs. Now its time to prep the housing to be painted. The housing itself is glued together and sealed together with supports to the parts. If u look on the inside of the housing u can see the silver sides are held on by these supports.
    At first I tried to poke it out with a Philips screwdriver and it didn’t work very well. I soon found out that using an exacto knife and cutting the top ends of those supports the side pieces comes off pretty easily.

15. Make sure b4 u try to push pieces to run the exacto knife down the edges to loosen up the pieces a lil bit. It seemed to sealed slightly with some glue. (note: the sides pieces at the ends snap on so be careful when u try to pop it out. Its actually one of the hardest part to take off. Check out Picture 17 when I wasn’t paying attention to wat I was doing)

16. Here u can see the one with the arrows are the lil support pillars that broke off when I tried pushing it out with the screwdriver. As u can see the middle pillar that is still there was when I started just cutting off the top ends of it. I found out that after u cut off the top ends, push it out a lil with a Philips screwdriver through the holes of the pillars.

17. This is the result of not being too patient with taking off the side pieces.

18. Here u can see the Front side of the housing with the sides pieces taken off. If u look closely the sony ericsson label in the front is taken off also. Its very easy to take off. Just use the smallest flathead in the set and pop it right off. The label is only held on by some sticky adhesive.

19. Here is the back half of the housing with the sides pieces taken off.

20. Here the camera cover is taken off. I just used the exacto to slide it under the crevice and slowly push its way in and pop it off with a flathead. It is also held on by a sticky adhesive. Oh yea on the battery cover, the SE symbol comes over by pushing it out from the other side (there’s a lil hole to push it out) and the rubber stoppers comes off the same way too. And for the power button and the camera and internet buttons u have to cut off the supports also to take it out if u want to paint it a different cover. Sorry I don’t have pictures for that.

21. Now ur done with taking all the pieces out and having ur way at painting those pieces whatever color combinations u like. Onces ur done painting just pop the side pieces in, they snap right back on. And glue on any pieces u have taken off. Here’s my beauty with a new paintjob. It’s a white pearl finish. Its not that bad at all. I kinda like it, but the thing is that the paint I used kinda sucks. It doesn’t seem to stick to the plastic that well. Its starting to chip with u bump it into stuff. But its my first try and it pretty good for a first. Now I gotta be even more careful with this hosuing.

Front side

22. Back side

23. Power button side

24. MS Duo Slot side

25. Camera on my stand. Hehe looks kinda weird on the silver base. Maybe I should get another one and paint that the same color.

wow that was a ×××× long tutorial I must say. I hope this will help u guys somewhat. Hehe. Well I think im might try to make this housing two tone cuz the one tone is kinda boring right now but I’ll let it be for now. Give me some suggestions on color combinations.
    got me a r6 for my riding addiction!

HoFo Feedback

EBAY Feedback

Device(s)
    Motorola MpX, iMate JAM 416 mhz WiFi & GPS enabled "Road Warrior" & NextLink "Model #1 5G" Headset
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Great Tutorial sdviet!! That took alot of time and patience for a one-of-a-kind P900!! Beautiful job and a great show-case of your talent to "mod" a phone...

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    thanx for hosting it bengal. there would be no thread if u didnt host it for me. but i was up to 5am last night just trying to finish it since i know i might get lazy and put it off. i know there's plenty of anxious people out there wanting to know how to pick their p900 apart and tinker with it. hehe. im just trying to help out since hofo has been a big help to me.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Congratulations sdsviet you actually went ahead and did it! … and you not only succeeded in doing a complete P900 housing swap but managed to put together a very nice Pic-Tutorial in the process. You have now joined a very small and elite group that can say they have accomplished this on their own.

I also see your using your P900 without the keypad now… since you're accomplished in taking the P900 apart it would be a very simple step to go ahead and add my LED mod. Let me know if this interests you further and I can furnish you with one of my custom flipless bezels that has an inset transparent SE logo button that will really make your P900 shine.

You did a really get job and your all white housing looks great!
    3vw

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P910i
    Carrier(s)
    Orange
    Feedback Score
    Nice tutorial.

Now pearlescent candy red (the color of the Mitsubishi EVO custom in 2F2F) and silver would look XXXX cool!

Device(s)
    iPHone 3G/HTC X7510
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Is it possible to make this a sticky.....Plan on doing something with my P900 in the summer.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G S, iPhone 3G, iPhone, HTC Tytn
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow
    great job, looking at the pictures I'm thinking about changing my housing now.

Device(s)
    SE P900 + Bluespoon
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers ATT&T
    Feedback Score
    Great work sdsviet! I plan on getting an extra housing for mine sooner or later and painting it as well, so this will be a huge help when it comes to that. If you're experimenting with various paints let us know what'll work best (ie no chipping). I painted an old Nokia 5195 (my first phone...) 2 years back and the paint was way too soft and would get dents in it and such. Painted it in a nice silver colour which I think would look good on the P900. We'll see.

The white does look nice though. I'm a flip user, so I'll want to paint it in a colour that'll work with the flip on. Bengalboys suggestion of platinum coating it (another thread) is also interesting...would match the bling of a pimp'n stick too!

Thanks again sdsviet!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    awesome tutorial, sds!

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P800
    Carrier(s)
    Orange,
    Feedback Score
    Lovely and frightening
    great tutorial!

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P900
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    thats pretty cool sdsviet!

i think u should redo it then prime it first so the paint will stick... U CAN DO IT! as to taking off the paint.... theres liquid solutions that will that take paints out (carefull when using) ... or u can take ur time and sand it... but thats nice man...

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    the phone was primed. i first primed it with a white primer, then i put one a coat of bright white and then i had 2 coats of the gloss pearl clearcoat. i think the primer i got isnt working well with sticking to the p900 plastic housing. the thing is that the primer is made for plastic like for the model cars. arent those plastics the same?

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    hey should i be nice and post this on my symbian and esato? or should i just post a link to here instead. hehe

Device(s)
    SE P900
    Carrier(s)
    o2
    Feedback Score

My two tone p900

Following your tutorial, i did it also in white to match my minidisc and ipod. How do i post pics to show you all?, now all i need are some of those glowing logos.
    Liam
    Here is my p900, also white but slightly different,.

Last edited by Liamski; 04-27-2004 at 10:27 AM.

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    none of the links work. it tells me accessed denied

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast