Thread: activating "reported stolen" phone...

Feedback Score

activating "reported stolen" phone...

I bought a Verizon phone that has been reported stolen...
    Can I still activate this phone to use with Verizon?

thnks

Feedback Score
    why would you buy a stolen phone and expect to get it activated? Chances are you will never be able to activate that phone in teh region it was reported in.

Phone
    Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Did you buy it off of fleabay?

Feedback Score
    I bought this phone without knowing and later found out that it has been reported stole. The phone was previously activated on west coast until reported stolen. I am on East. Can I still activate this? as you mentioned this is a regional thing

Originally posted by Alias
    why would you buy a stolen phone and expect to get it activated? Chances are you will never be able to activate that phone in teh region it was reported in.

Feedback Score
    Yes I did.

Originally posted by chefofthefuture
    Did you buy it off of fleabay?

Phone
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Cut your losses immediately.

Contact the seller and demand he refund the complete cost of the phone. If he doesn't, report them to their local police as selling stolen merchandise.

Contact eBay and inform them the seller is trafficing in stolen merchandise.

Don't try to activate it or sell it. Knowingly doing so with stolen merchandise only exposes you to prosecution.

At worst, you're out the purchase price. It sucks, but don't make the situation any worse.

Feedback Score
    How did you find out it was stolen...?

If you are in another region I would try to activate it anyway....it could hav just been reported "lost".....they go into the same database as stolen ESN's.....I think you need more info before you do anything.

Phones
    Samsung A620
    VX6000
    Carrier
    vzw, sprint
    Feedback Score
    when you call to try and activate the phone tell them you purchased it off of ebay and would like to activate it. most likely they are not going to be able to tell because you are on different regions.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Get your money back and tell eBay so this guy gets in trouble.
    The jerk shouldn't be selling stolen phones.
    -AG

Phone
    Motorola Q
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by vzwchris
    when you call to try and activate the phone tell them you purchased it off of ebay and would like to activate it. most likely they are not going to be able to tell because you are on different regions.

Is this true? Does anyone know for a fact that this is true? The reason I ask is because I also purchased a previously reported stolen phone and I cant activate it. I called Verizon and they said that THey cant do anything about it. Im not sure what region I got a hold of but Im not sure if I should call again because I dont want to get in trouble. Is there any way around this? Thanks any help will be greatly appreciated.

Phones
    HTC Touch Sprint
    Moto Q9C Sprint
    Motorola KRZR K1m
    Carriers
    Sprint (Official)
    Sprint (via hacked NAM profile)
    Feedback Score
    Personally, I doubt it. When an ESN is reported to a carrier as STOLEN, they probably make a note of it, NETWORK WIDE, not just at the local store!!

But if you try to call in and activate it ("I just got a new phone from ebay and I'd like to activate it"). If they then say the number is on a blacklist that they're not allowed to activate ask why - if they tell you it was stolen, ask THEM if there's any recourse. Perhaps you can talk them into giving you a phone of some sort and letting them handle legal stuff, who knows!?

Actually, I'd get an account on VerizonWireless.com (if you already are a customer) and try to activate it myself - then if the ESN comes up blocked, call in and ask the techs why it's not working on your account, then use the same stuff as if you had just called to begin with (why isn't it working? if you see the logs, I've been trying to activate this ESN, am I typing something wrong? --What do you mean it's blacklisted?).

But I will admit, personally, I'd be more PO'd and trying to get money back than wanting to activate it. Frankly it could be a stolen phone (crime)! Or it could've been "reported" as stolen so someone could get insurance money (fraud)! Getting tied up in stuff like that is never a good situation to be in, no matter how bad you might want some fancy phone.

NuAngel
    Sign it? I haven't even finished reading it...

Phone
    Motorola Q
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by NuAngel
    Personally, I doubt it. When an ESN is reported to a carrier as STOLEN, they probably make a note of it, NETWORK WIDE, not just at the local store!!

But if you try to call in and activate it ("I just got a new phone from ebay and I'd like to activate it"). If they then say the number is on a blacklist that they're not allowed to activate ask why - if they tell you it was stolen, ask THEM if there's any recourse. Perhaps you can talk them into giving you a phone of some sort and letting them handle legal stuff, who knows!?

Actually, I'd get an account on VerizonWireless.com (if you already are a customer) and try to activate it myself - then if the ESN comes up blocked, call in and ask the techs why it's not working on your account, then use the same stuff as if you had just called to begin with (why isn't it working? if you see the logs, I've been trying to activate this ESN, am I typing something wrong? --What do you mean it's blacklisted?).

But I will admit, personally, I'd be more PO'd and trying to get money back than wanting to activate it. Frankly it could be a stolen phone (crime)! Or it could've been "reported" as stolen so someone could get insurance money (fraud)! Getting tied up in stuff like that is never a good situation to be in, no matter how bad you might want some fancy phone.

NuAngel

Thanks for that info NuAngel...very good information...

...I did a quick google search and found out that a tech VZ guy has the power to remove the esn from being locked. The situation was just like mine but the guy actually went to a retail VZW store and explained to the sales guy his situation. THe sales guy called VZW TEch support and after about a ten minute wait the phone was activated...it may be worth a shot...

Feedback Score
    Possessing and using property that is known to be stolen is a horrible idea.

Return the phone, report it the cops, whatever.

You can't use this forum to learn how to get around systems designed to protect victims of theft.