Thread: How Much Is Sprint's Deposit?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

How Much Is Sprint's Deposit?

I had Sprint back in 2002 and needless to say I failed to pay my bill and ultimately my service was cancelled. I've since filled bankruptcy and I included it w/ my bankrutpcy. Now I know if I go back I may be required to pay deposit. How much is Sprint's deposit?

Phone
    Samsung a920
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Assuming your previously unpaid bill is now paid, you would likely have a $250 deposit.

Deposits:
    $125 - no credit/insufficient credit/no SSN
    $250 - previous Sprint customer/unpaid bills
    $500 - unused. Apparently considered for WLNP

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: How Much Is Sprint's Deposit?

Originally posted by djransom
    I had Sprint back in 2002 and needless to say I failed to pay my bill and ultimately my service was cancelled. I've since filled bankruptcy and I included it w/ my bankrutpcy. Now I know if I go back I may be required to pay deposit. How much is Sprint's deposit?
    Your account would likely be in "write-off" status. Generally, a write-off account requires payment of the balance on the old account, plus a $250 deposit to start back up.

Since your old balance would have been discharged in your bankruptcy, Sprint can't hold you accountable for the balance due. (EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I believe they simply cannot hunt you down to collect the balance; they could probably still require that you pay it if you want to sign back up.) You should have received a confirmation letter from them when they were notified of your bankruptcy... virtually all creditors will send you a letter stating something to the effect of "we closed your account because you filed bankruptcy." If you didn't receive such a note, it's entirely possible Sprint PCS didn't receive (or chose to ignore) your discharge order. In any event, you should have your legal documents showing the account being included.

That said, Sprint PCS cannot hold you liable for the previous balance. They are also now fully entitled to simply not extend service to you again, since you effectively screwed them before. Your account can remain in write-off indefinitely. You will probably have much better luck signing up with another carrier... one that has fairly lenient credit requirements but was not included in your bankruptcy discharge.

Steve

Phones
    Treo 755
    BB Curve
    Sanyo SCP3100
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: How Much Is Sprint's Deposit?

Originally posted by KG4PEQ
    ...Since your old balance would have been discharged in your bankruptcy, Sprint can't hold you accountable for the balance due...
    That said, Sprint PCS cannot hold you liable for the previous balance. They are also now fully entitled to simply not extend service to you again, since you effectively screwed them before. Your account can remain in write-off indefinitely. You will probably have much better luck signing up with another carrier... one that has fairly lenient credit requirements but was not included in your bankruptcy discharge.

Steve
    This first section is correct, the second isn't.

Since you filed bankruptcy, that would close the balance on the account. Depending on when the balance was paid will determine qualifications for getting service again. If the balance was covered before it became write off, you will simply have to do another credit check and fall under the guidelines of that credit class. If the balance was written off then covered by the bankruptcy, you will default to the $250 deposit without a credit check.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Re: How Much Is Sprint's Deposit?

Originally posted by jaydogg6
    This first section is correct, the second isn't.

Since you filed bankruptcy, that would close the balance on the account. Depending on when the balance was paid will determine qualifications for getting service again. If the balance was covered before it became write off, you will simply have to do another credit check and fall under the guidelines of that credit class. If the balance was written off then covered by the bankruptcy, you will default to the $250 deposit without a credit check.
    I said they were "fully entitled to not extend service to you again." That is correct. If they choose to, that's on them. But thanks for the information, it was quite useful.

Steve

Phones
    Treo 755
    BB Curve
    Sanyo SCP3100
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Re: Re: How Much Is Sprint's Deposit?

Originally posted by KG4PEQ
    I said they were "fully entitled to not extend service to you again." That is correct. If they choose to, that's on them. But thanks for the information, it was quite useful.

Steve
    You are right and I'm sorry. I took that the wrong way. Even if a customer didn't have a write off or bankruptcy, we are entitled to not extend service. Glad that's cleared up.