Phones
    Samsung t519
    Samsung t629
    Samsung d807
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile vs AT&T

I currently have T-Mobile and I love the service, well one because it's free to me since I used to work there and well we won't get into all that but NEWAYS my mom has AT&T right now with the TDMA crap and she HATES it. Well Im trying to tell her she needs to get in on the GSM coverage but Im wondering whos GSM coverage is better currently. Im thinking that she should be switching over to t-mobile because I heard that AT&T's GSM coverage isn't that good.. Any suggestions??

If you look at T-mobile's coverage map for florida

VS

AT&T's map

you will see what I am talking about. I can't see how AT&T's coverage could be better when I could swear that T-Mobile had them out done..

Any thoughts??
    Last edited by InjectedSS; 05-20-2004 at 03:19 PM.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can't speak to Florida, as i've never been there with either ATT or TMo, however my experience here in Texas is that AT&T GSM has more coverage, but TMobiles coverage, where they have it, is FAR better.

I could never have TMobile as my "only" phone, cause the coverage is just not there. However with their generous call forwarding, a TMobile phone plus a TDMA pre-pay phone is a decent combination.

I WANT to like cingular, but they are not making it easy for me with their lack-luster coverage where i work and live, the two places i spend most of my time!

Good Luck.

Dan
    Dan
    TX, USA

Phones
    Samsung t519
    Samsung t629
    Samsung d807
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by hominid7
    I can't speak to Florida, as i've never been there with either ATT or TMo, however my experience here in Texas is that AT&T GSM has more coverage, but TMobiles coverage, where they have it, is FAR better.

I could never have TMobile as my "only" phone, cause the coverage is just not there. However with their generous call forwarding, a TMobile phone plus a TDMA pre-pay phone is a decent combination.

I WANT to like cingular, but they are not making it easy for me with their lack-luster coverage where i work and live, the two places i spend most of my time!

Good Luck.

Dan
    Yea I hear ya. I think cingular is lacking but now that they have bought AT&T out I think that's all about to change.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by InjectedSS
    Yea I hear ya. I think cingular is lacking but now that they have bought AT&T out I think that's all about to change.
    I hope so.... I know my parents had Cingular (SBMS) AMPS wayyyy back in the day, and it worked great at their house, which is in NE Dallas, about 1 mile from 635. Then they switched to Cingular TDMA and discovered they had ZERO coverage at their house. Numerous calls to Cingular CS resulted in nothing. That was 5 years ago.

Now Mom is on SprintPCS, Dad is on ATT GSM, and both their phones, while not great, both work reasonably well in their house. My old AT&T TDMA phone works great at their house, as does TMobile GSM, Verizon, and Nextel. So with anticipation of things having improved over the years i recently tried Cingular. Guess what? Still zero coverage!

They've had more than 5 years to fill a known dead zone right in the middle of a major Dallas burbe, and they have neglected to do so. Ironically, there is a multi-story SBC switching building less than 2 blocks from their house, which gives SBC free realestate to put up a cell tower, so no excuses.

I REALLY REALLY wanted to like Cingular and be able to use it. their coverage around DFW is terrific, except in my office and parents house. I've been happy with their cust service, decent price plans and decent add-ons, but why they can't/wont fill in coverage holes any quicker leaves me wondering what exactly their goals are for the company.

Phone
    v600
    Carrier
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    ok i live here in miami and Tmobile is the WORST. i get no service in my south miami/ pinecrest area. my dad has never had less than full service on ATT, ATT has the best service in Florida especially because they udated their service.

Phones
    Pearl Flip
    G1
    Curve
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If that's the map AT&T was using its not accurate at all for GSM alone... I live in Central Florida and the coverage here is much better for T-Mobile than in south FL especially because this area was a VoiceStream market and not a Powertel or Omnipoint acquisition like South Florida. AT&T's GSM coverage has improved but the proof is in the numbers. Tons and tons of people are leaving AT&T each day because they are still lagging in coverage nationwide for GSM. The last reports I saw had them with the highest cancellation/number transfers out from any carrier in the US. The 850 band has helped them out but that isn't even an option for where I live unless they start using Cingular's 850 GSM around my area. I work for T-Mo and would stay away from AT&T until they merge with Cingular.... at that time I see know reason not to give them another look.
    Last edited by ashshlay; 05-30-2004 at 04:55 AM.

Phones
    LG vx6000
    Sony Ericsson T68i (Retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well i used to have ATT. ATT was the worst, i pissed me off sooo bad. Anytime i went inside a building or someone's house, i lost all reception.

T-Moblie my g/f has and she gets more coverage than ATT gave me but she has her momments where all reception is lost and the calls drop.

I am currently pissed w/ GSM service down here in South Florida so i left to Verizon and i get the best recception i have ever seen. The lowest i have gone down to anywhere is around 2-3 bars and have had a dropped call maybe 2 out of 6 months.

But since your choosing between the two i would have to say T-Mobile.

PS.- Cingualr has the best GSM down here in South Florida