Thread: Can I take a Sprint Sanyo phone, and hook it up for Verizon?

Feedback Score

Can I take a Sprint Sanyo phone, and hook it up for Verizon?

I'm so tired of waiting for Verizon to come out with a good phone, and from what I see, Sprint's Sanyo phones are really good. Can I take a Sanyo phone from Sprint, and hook it up for Verizon...? Also will all the SMS, MMS stuff work correctly? Thanks for all the input.

Phone
    Sanyo 5300
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    It's possible. They use the right frequencies. Verizon is BREW though, not J2ME so you probably wouldn't be able to get any downloads from Verizon. As for SMS,MMS, etc. I'm not sure. I didn't think MMS was standardized yet, and Sprint is sometimes slow to the table with that kind of stuff (SMS just came a little while ago).

Phone
    Sprint HTC Hero
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The better alternative would be for you to switch from Verizon to Sprint and better your life.
    The Greatest Show on Earth

Phones
    I860
    I830
    vx6000
    Carriers
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by tonytnnt
    It's possible. They use the right frequencies. Verizon is BREW though, not J2ME so you probably wouldn't be able to get any downloads from Verizon. As for SMS,MMS, etc. I'm not sure. I didn't think MMS was standardized yet, and Sprint is sometimes slow to the table with that kind of stuff (SMS just came a little while ago).
    What will have to be done to use a sprint pcs phone on verizon? iam thinking of using th sanyo 5500? Thanks

Phone
    Sanyo 5300
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    well, you'd have to get said phone without contract (unless you like spending $150 to get out of them...) (5500 is about $350 at Best Buy right now... I think. I'll check next time I go into work, they're so much cheaper with those rebates...) So, lets just assume you have the phone already. You'd need to unlock it with software that Sprint is supposed to have. Well, they're the only people who are SUPPOSED to have it... them and Sanyo. I dunno if I'm allowed to say what it's called. You'll have to do some more research on that unless super hero moderator says it's kosher. Anyways, once you get the software, you have to get a cable to hook your phone up to your computer. Once that's done, you need to get the software to recognize the phone and then, hopefully, you unlock the phone. Also, you'll need to get your MSL with BITPIM. You can find information on the boards. Now, here's my disclaimer. I've never unlocked a phone. I've done a lot of other crazy stuff with computers and phones, but never unlocking. I like Sprint, and I like Sanyo, so it works out well that Sprint carries Sanyo, for me anyways. So, this is just what I've picked up on the theory behind unlocking phones. It's probably a lot harder than my discription. Or maybe it's easier. Somebody with some actual experience care to chime in?

But yeah, I agree with KAVIONE, you should just switch to Sprint

Phones
    I860
    I830
    vx6000
    Carriers
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply! i dont want to switch, i just got verizon 6 months ago and hate the phones that they offer! does ne1 know other boards that might cover this issue?