Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ringtones for my VX3200

Feedback Score

Ringtones for my VX3200

How I got ringtones on my LG VX3200 (Verizon)

Note: Do not attempt this unless you thoroughly understand how to use Bitpim, a hex editor and a midi editor!! You could cause irrepairable damage to your phone. Make sure you backup the entire file tree of your phone to your computer so that you can possibly restore it if something goes wrong.

1) Download one ringtone from www.vtext.com. Cost is $1.99.

2) When you get the text message with the ringtone attached - "Save as object" multiple times (one for each ringtone you want to create). They will show up in My Melodies.

3) Using Bitpim and FutureDial #19 cable (available from Radio Shack) view all of the files.

4) In the sms directory find the files named mediamel000.dat, mediamel001.dat, etc. These are the files saved in step 2. Using a hex editor (I used HHD - freeware), look at one of these files to get an understanding of the file structure of the first 27 bytes shown in step five. Starting at the 28th byte it is a standard midi file.

5) Create a modified midi file as follows:

- Using a midi editor (I used anvil studio), trim the midi file to around 30 seconds.
    - Using a hex editor, insert 27 bytes at the beginning of the file.
    - Byte 1,2 = Total file length + 1 (byte 1 is LSB, byte 2 is MSB)
    - Byte 3 = 00
    - Byte 4 = 01
    - Byte 5,6 = Total file length + 1 - 27 (byte 5 is LSB, byte 6 is MSB)
    This is the length of the midi portion of the file + 1
    - Byte 7-26 = Ascii name of ringtone (unused bytes can be 00)
    - Byte 27 = 00
    - Rename the file to the name of the file you want to replace on your phone (mediamelxxx.dat)

6) Using Bitpim, overwrite the mediamelxxx.dat file with the file you created in step 5.

7) Turn the phone off and back on. The name that you put in bytes 7-26 will be in My Melodies. Using "Set as" you can assign it to an individual contact ring, a caller ID ring or a non caller ID ring.

Some things I found out:

The ringtone downloaded from vtext has a Sysex midi command at the beginning of the midi portion to set the priority of assigning voices but I found that the VX3200 had enough voices to play my ringtones without it (not sure how many that is).

Just adding files to the sms directory using Bitpim did not work. The phone did not show them in My Melodies. I had to use the phone option "save as object" on the text message from vtext to get the phone to create and recognize the filename.

If anyone has anything to add, I would appreciate it. I have searched and haven't found anything.

I can post a sample if someone needs it. I have created files with the Mission Impossible Theme, Peanuts, Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Rocky Theme, etc and they are loud and clear. They only come out as good as the original midi file so start with good files.

Good Luck!

Phones
    LG VX6000
    LG VX4500
    LG VX3200
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

Just checked the Radio Shack website and that data cable #19 is not showing up.

Any other sources?

Feedback Score
    The Radio Shack website has a Data Cable with USB for LG VX6000 catalog # 17-792. This is the cable I bought and it works with the VX3200. The picture on the website is not correct but the catalog number is. The actual cable has a molded plastic shell in the middle of the cable. If you can look at one at a Radio Shack store, you will see that the packaging says "FutureDial #19".

By the way, I first bought a cable from Ebay that was for the VX6000/VX7000 and it did not work with my VX3200. I believe the difference is that the FutureDial #19 cable probably has the prolific USB to serial converter chip inside the plastic shell (I didn't open it because it worked and I didn't want to mess with success). I know that the one I bought from Ebay does not.
    Last edited by bwood301; 07-15-2004 at 01:36 PM.

Phones
    LG VX6000
    LG VX4500
    LG VX3200
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks a bunch for clearing that up.

and also for the heads up on the e-bay cable

Phones
    Droid, Env-Touch, Dare,
    Hers Voyager, retired..u900Flipshot, u740 ,LG vx8100 backup
    Son HTC touch, vx9900 retired
    Carrier
    Verizon wireless formerly Airtouch
    Feedback Score

Tanks for the info .. Bwood

i'll get the #19 cable at RS, and fix up the better's halfs 3200 with some custom tones

I have flinstones 'dino' barking away

and fred 'yabadabdo'

when she calls me it plays 'patsy cline'

that's a big file for a ringtone 197k another one is 300k

and they are only 25 seconds long each
    TheMopedwhiz aka TheeWizard, a member of the Verizon Wireless Customer Council

Feedback Score
    They must be mp3s. I believe the VX3200 only takes modified midi files but I'm not certain.

Phones
    Droid, Env-Touch, Dare,
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

I ripped them myslef

I have the CD's for patsy ( her favorite)

I ripped the complete song, converted the wave to MP3

used audacity to sample and out put the section i wanted, still mp3..

then renamed them to midi files and uploaded using bitpim..

dino is 31k

but patsy is big.. but she belts it out just like on the CD.

i'm going to try your method and see if I can put Patsy and dino on her 3200

Phones
    LG VX6000
    SE47 SLIDER
    LG VX3200
    Carrier
    VERIZON 12OO MIN PLAN
    Feedback Score
    If you record a voice memo, either using your own voice, or holding the phone next to the music, and then save it, you can then select it as a ringtone on the 3200. All voice memos appear as ringtone selections on the 3200. No more paying for ringtones. I can just go to the vtext.com website, pick any ringtone I want, record the demo and assign it as a specific ringer ID without ever having to pay adime for the ringtone. Doesnt sound as good but works and is much cheaper. I record songs off the radio as well as use my own voice for voice ringer ID. Gotta love the 3200.

Phones
    Droid, Env-Touch, Dare,
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Neat Trick

I think i'll try that.. I LOVE THIS FORUM

I went thru Bwood's procedure last night

the tune download from vtext worked,
    the 4 copies worked

bitpim worked

but the replaced file doesn't play, it shows up in the right place with the right name and numbers but it doesn't play

I looked at the original and a demo of another vtext song and he's right they look like quicktime files

in fact the demo ( try before you by ) is a quicktime file

if you save the demo and look at it with the hex editor it says quicktime in the asci on the right hand collum

my music editor 'audacity' doesn't output the correct format

i tried some editing inserting quicktime reconition code but it still didn't play..

next i'm going to try using her phone on online..doing it right now with my lg4500

Phones
    LG VX6000
    SE47 SLIDER
    LG VX3200
    Carrier
    VERIZON 12OO MIN PLAN
    Feedback Score
    You can also use the Voice memo trick to assign to the alarm clock, scheduler and individual contact text message ringer functions. Now my scheduler has VOICE. Now my text Message Ringer has Voice and my alarm clock tells me to get my lazy butt out of bed in voice. VX3200.

Feedback Score
    I did a little playing with TEXASDUDE's voice memo trick. Voice memos are recorded in qualcomm purevoice format. The files are stored on the VX3200 in /VoiceDB/All/Memos and the have the naming conventions Mem00001.qcp, Mem00002.qcp, etc.

I downloaded qualcomm's purevoice sdk and purevoice player from:

http://www.cdmatech.com/solutions/pr...e_download.jsp

There is a program called pvconv.exe that runs in a Dos window and converts .wav files to .qcp files.

I found that I had to use a hex editor to add 56 bytes to the end of the file which has a time, date and name stored in it. I copied the bytes from another voice memo that I had already recorded on the phone. I also had to modify bytes 04 and 05 to reflect the total file length less 7 bytes.

I was able to add a file to the Memos directory and have it play. The quality is voice quality not music quality (8khz, 16 bit, mono).

Good find TEXASDUDE!
    Last edited by bwood301; 07-19-2004 at 03:04 PM.

Phones
    lg vx-7000
    lg vx-6000
    sharp z-800
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    if you could post an example it would be nice - trying to figure out the bytes 1 and 2 and 5 and 6 - thanks!

-narf
    customer: i think my phone is posessed
    tech: well then you better get a priest
    customer: i am a priest
    tech: oops.

Phones
    Cingular 8125
    Motorola razr
    Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by TEXASDUDE
    If you record a voice memo, either using your own voice, or holding the phone next to the music, and then save it, you can then select it as a ringtone on the 3200. All voice memos appear as ringtone selections on the 3200. No more paying for ringtones. I can just go to the vtext.com website, pick any ringtone I want, record the demo and assign it as a specific ringer ID without ever having to pay adime for the ringtone. Doesnt sound as good but works and is much cheaper. I record songs off the radio as well as use my own voice for voice ringer ID. Gotta love the 3200.
    oh yeah..........i totally forgot about doing that!....i used to do that with my nokia 3100.....very usefull....i think im going to try that right now!....THANKS for bringing it up!

Phones
    Droid, Env-Touch, Dare,
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

Question Progress of a Sort

I have been playi---poking around with BP 7.14 and my wifes vx3200

with PM set for the 4400 .. I was able to upload wallpaper to the phone..

I verified it was on the phone, by switching over to the my 4500 and doing a file system retreival

then going back to the 3200 and retrieving that file system.. it showed the wallpapers and a ringtone i had upload

BUT they don't show on the phone..

Ok .. we can get files to the phone, but we have to find the right place to put them..

each phone put thems in a different place..

BP put them where the 4400 file system expects them to be

which is a subdirectory 'wallpaper' inside directory 'user'

each bmp pictue had to files asociate with it 'disc' & 'body' the latter being the actual BMP file

also i have mesage object pic ( a password number ) from vtext.com

it is labled 'mediapic.0001 ' and is in the sms directory like the downloadded verizon ringtones

I am able to use it as a wallpaper or a message object

if we can figure out the file structure and edit another pic using a hex editor , we should be able to do the same thing

bwood did with the mediame files for ringtones

also i was able to muck aorund and delete the wallpaper.bit file and get an imediate blank black screen for the background

i tried overwriting the file with a image.bmp file 'renamed wallpaper.bit' and got a black screen with white lines / hash in it.

it all a matter of figuring out the leading identifing hex code and putting the files in the correct directory

I think SMS is the one

yes i returned the file to it's original configuration..

got to keep the wife happy

if we knew which phone had afile structure like the 3200 but also had uploadable wallpapers and tones .. this would get easier -faster

Feedback Score
    For narf and others:

Attached is a screenshot of the beginning of my mediamel000.dat
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast