Thread: can the Motorola A845 make a phone call and do UMTS data tethering on ATTWS network?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

can the Motorola A845 make a phone call and do UMTS data tethering on ATTWS network?

Can the Motorola A845 make a phone call and do UMTS data tethering on ATTWS network?

Device(s)
    Samsung A540
    Feedback Score
    No.

Quote from AT&T Wireless website:

"To place a call (including a call to 911) while web browsing on your UMTS phone, you must first leave your data session."

http://attwireless.com/umts/important_information.html

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by samab
    No.

Quote from AT&T Wireless website:

"To place a call (including a call to 911) while web browsing on your UMTS phone, you must first leave your data session."

http://attwireless.com/umts/important_information.html
    Well, thats what ATTWS says. Wasn't UMTS supposed to allow this?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by bartolo5
    Well, thats what ATTWS says. Wasn't UMTS supposed to allow this?
    UMTS doesn't prohibit it, those choices are up to the operator. I believe that you can even do voice + data on a GSM/GPRS phone... (I wouldn't be surprised if the TDMA standard allowed for this, too)

However, many operators chose not to enable those features.

Feedback Score
    You can not browse (via built-in browser) and talk. But.... I'm not so sure about tethering.

I was tethered earlier this evening, and received a call - it was a minute or so into the call before I rememberd the computer was using the phone, and I looked over and the ppp connection was still active.

I didn't play with it... I assumed it was working. Next time I'll actually do something to generate traffic, to find out for sure.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GSM
    Feedback Score
    Actually, the ability to do both voice and data simultaenously is in the standards.. class A devices have this capability, but there are no plans to introduce these devices.. the next best thing is a variant of this.. DTM, which will split the timeslot in half for voice and data.. that's why AMR technology is so significant.. so far there is nothing commerical.. but i'm sure the idea of billing twice at the same time is very enticing to operators..

Originally posted by smitty825
    UMTS doesn't prohibit it, those choices are up to the operator. I believe that you can even do voice + data on a GSM/GPRS phone... (I wouldn't be surprised if the TDMA standard allowed for this, too)

However, many operators chose not to enable those features.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Actually, you can web browse while on a WCDMA/UMTS voice call on the Motorola A845. I've done it. There's a "SWAP" soft button to switch back and forth between the call screen and the browser screen - the call continues uninterrupted when browsing.

You can also make and receive voice calls when using tethered data. Data transmission isn't interrupted.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie