Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: v710 Bluetooth Internet Connection with a Sony Clie - Success!

Device(s)
    V710 Finally!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

v710 Bluetooth Internet Connection with a Sony Clie - Success!

Hello all,

I just thought I would give it a try (expecting it to defintely NOT work) and whoa!

After pairing the two devices via "Prefs" and "Bluetooth" (PEG-TH50 Clie / v710)

Tap "Prefs" and select "Network" from the drop-down screen

NEW SCREEN APPEARS:

Service: Whatever you want to name it

User name: [email protected] (replace YOURNUMBER with your actual wireless number)

Password - vzw

Connection - Set up a new connection by tapping here and selecting "Edit Connection" then click "New" on the next screen.

On this new screen set name to anything you want (I chose Verizon), Connect to "Phone", Via "Bluetooth", Device (Tap and have it search for your phone, make sure Bluetooth is on!).

NOTE: after finding the v710 my clie lists it as a Sony Ericsson T610, but it still works.

When your device has been "Found" tap "Done" to return to the main "Network" screen.

Under "Connection" select your new bluetooth account (I named mine verizon)

Finally, type in #777 for the phone number.

NOTE 2: I made zero changes are far as dialing prefixes, "Details" changes (left connection at PPP, Query DNS Checked, IP address Auto)

Hit connect, and it should work! I was in Shock!! And its FAST, a lot faster than when I would connect with a T-Mobie Sony-Ericsson handset!

This was tested on a 15 month old Sony Clie which had previously used Sony's Mobile Connection Manager to connect to Ericsson GSM units.

Device(s)
    /\/\otorola V710!
    Carrier(s)
    Boost/Nextel
    Feedback Score
    yes!!!!!! conrats

Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nice work! I should have my V710 on Saturday, and I have a Tungsten T3 to pair it with. I'll post whether the connection works with the T|T3 as seamlessly as it did with your TG50.

Also, the phone can be closed and still maintain the bluetooth connection, right?

Device(s)
    Treo 750
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I am using my V710 as a modem for my Inspiron 8600 via BT.

Very easy to set up and yes you can keep the phone closed.

Device(s)
    Modded RAZR V3 BLK
    Carrier(s)
    MEGA Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I never thought I was going to find that answer!!!!!!

Thanks Brother!!!!!!

Device(s)
    V710
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Plan

Just curious. How do you have you're account set up to do this? Are you making a phone call into your own isp? Are you using the express network w/the 50$ unlimited plan? Please explain. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    How fast is a BT connection? People have been saying how horribly slow it is to transfer files so why would I want to browse the internet over BT?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Treo 750
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Special Sauce
    How fast is a BT connection? People have been saying how horribly slow it is to transfer files so why would I want to browse the internet over BT?

Thanks!

Faster than a 56K modem...that's for sure.

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Special Sauce
    The most common BT is 720Kbps, however, I've seen ratings as high as 1 and 2Mbps on a couple of vendor web sites.

Since the EN connection isn't higher than 144K Burst, 720K should be fine for surfing. So BT would be no worse than using 56K dialup which is fine for checking email and casual web browsing

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by dartworth
    I am using my V710 as a modem for my Inspiron 8600 via BT.

Very easy to set up and yes you can keep the phone closed.

Im having trouble with my D800 What settings did you use?

Device(s)
    Motorola V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Now that you have the Clie and the V710 paired, can you try the Clie SMS application and see if that is compatible with the phone?

Thanks in advance.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have successfully used my v710 as a modem for my Clie TH55 (European model, with BT). It worked on the first try. I've been trying to get it to dial the phone, with less success. At some point I had it dialing, but I think the phone was trying to make a data connection, not a voice call. Now I can't get it to do that anymore to play around with it. I hope there's a way for that to work, as it's very useful for me.

I made a brief attempt at SMS and it connects with the phone and tries to send, but it times out. Same thing that happens when it tries to dial.

Device(s)
    V710 Finally!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    >>Just curious. How do you have you're account set up to do >>this? Are you making a phone call into your own isp? Are you >>using the express network w/the 50$ unlimited plan? Please >>explain. Thank you.

I made the phone call using the settings described above in the thread, which I believe uses Verizon's network. My account seems to be just my cell phone # and password vzw; I was shocked at how easy this was!! Big thanks to the original iPaq poster who showed me how to do this.

I do not have the express network plan at all. All I am set up for is a $39.99 monthy plan, so I am ASSUMING that the minutes are just being taken from that... I went to VZW's site to check my account and all I can currently see is Voice usage (but maybe that's all there is?) I will report back if my bill is suddenly much fatter than usual, that's for sure...

>>Now that you have the Clie and the V710 paired, can you try >>the Clie SMS application and see if that is compatible with the >>phone?

>>Thanks in advance.

Not really sure what this is, what are SMS and who can I send them to? any Cell user? Thanks

-E

Device(s)
    V710 Finally!
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

And...

The phone can also be closed and still make the bluetooth connection, I just did that for the pic.

ALSO

I had the bluetooth function on in the phone, but it seems to go into sleep mode after a short time if inactive. My Clie actually wakes it up when needed, so I am assuming this is saving battery life - nice touch Motorola!

Device(s)
    Motorola V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have the Clie TG50, and used to use it with a Nokia 6310i. There is a Clie application called SMS. I do not remember if it came on the Clie, or if I had to install it from the CD that came with it. When run, this application would transfer all text messages in the phone inbox to the Clie. I could also use the application to reply to a text message, or create new text messages. I would click the send button, the text messages would go to the phone, and then out from there.

It was much easier to write text messages on the TG50 than on the Nokia. I am waiting to get a V710 and I fear this application won't work with the new phone.

If not, I can always buy the new Nokia later this year. Some people work to pay the rent, I apparently work to buy cell phones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast